Zeiss SF black edition

Sako79

Lil-Rokslider
I currently have a pair of swarovski EL 10x32 SV and I'm thinking about getting a new pair of Zeiss victory SF black edition 8x42.

Has anyone have experience with the Zeiss and could give me some feedback on them

MattB355

Lil-Rokslider
I compared the 10x42 SF's with the Swarovski EL's many times before deciding on the Swaros. The optical quality is amazing and the balance and handling is excellent. The only fault I could find for me in particular was the greenish color tint I perceived while looking at a white background and comparing it directly with the Swaro. had I not had them back to back, I do not think I would have been able to notice. I liked the focus position of the Zeiss and the focuser felt a little nicer. The eyecups were functional but seemed lesser quality to the Swaros. I did not care for the Zeiss lense covers as they seemed cheap for such a premium bino.
I did get to try out a 8x42 once and the FOV was amazing with the same excellent optics quality. It had a great wow factor.
One other downside was that the Zeiss size is huge for a 8 or 10x42 and compares with a 10-12x50.
Try them out and see what you think.

OP
S

Sako79

Lil-Rokslider
Yes the only reason I'm considering them is cuz my 10 x 32 el are really nice but low light conditions they don't allow enough light in. I was comparing them to my Leupold vx-5hd rifle scope and it was so much brighter see you at least 20 minutes earlier with the rifle scope (I just compared wasn't actually using the rifle scope to look for things) I just think the 8x 42 will be super bright

MattB355

Lil-Rokslider
10x32's have a very small exit pupil so they will not be as great for being as bright as a bigger objective with more exit pupil. I would try and compare the SF's to the Swaro 50mm's as the they are around the same size and your exit pupil will be close at a 8x42 vs a 10x50. I was unable to try the 8x42 SF's during low light so I cannot compare. I did compare my Zen ray 8x42's and my Swaro EL 8x32's during low light and could not tell a difference in brightness between them but these are two different leagues of binos.

OP
S

Sako79

Lil-Rokslider
I might upgrade my 10 x 32 to the 10 x42s. Some people recommend getting the slc's over the e l my hunting partner has the slc's and I don't really like them as much but they are the older version not the newer version

MattB355

Lil-Rokslider
I like the Field Flatteners of the EL but some do not. I would try both and see which ones you prefer.

eltaco

WKR
I just compared a pair of Zeiss Victory SF 10x42 to my Swaro 10x50 EL. Both were pretty amazing and you’d have a hard time faulting either. The Zeiss have an incredible FOV, which is almost matched by the Swaro 50s, but without the larger objective the difference would be very apparent. The Zeiss were also quite a bit lighter. I believe I measured 6.8oz, though the two packages were almost identical width and height.

The Swaro, on the other hand, definitely won out in brightness with the 50mm objectives. Both binos could pick up deer easily 20 minutes after shooting light, but the Swaros were obviously brighter and allowed longer visibility. It was great validation for me, as low light use was a top priority in my selection.

If I were shopping 10x42, I’d probably have gone Zeiss... but if you’re open to 50s, the ELs are very impressive.

OP
S

Sako79

Lil-Rokslider
I just compared a pair of Zeiss Victory SF 10x42 to my Swaro 10x50 EL. Both were pretty amazing and you’d have a hard time faulting either. The Zeiss have an incredible FOV, which is almost matched by the Swaro 50s, but without the larger objective the difference would be very apparent. The Zeiss were also quite a bit lighter. I believe I measured 6.8oz, though the two packages were almost identical width and height.

The Swaro, on the other hand, definitely won out in brightness with the 50mm objectives. Both binos could pick up deer easily 20 minutes after shooting light, but the Swaros were obviously brighter and allowed longer visibility. It was great validation for me, as low light use was a top priority in my selection.

If I were shopping 10x42, I’d probably have gone Zeiss... but if you’re open to 50s, the ELs are very impressive.

Were they the newer black version of the SF

eltaco

WKR
Were they the newer black version of the SF

Yes, brand new out of the box.

I’ve read the Zeiss are considered the brightest so I was curious how well they would compare to the larger objective of the Swaro. It would be interesting to compare both in 42, but all considered the Swaro 50s suits my personal interests best.

bigharge

WKR
When comparing this price range of glass you have to get your own eyes behind them and see for yourself. The ELs and SFs are both amazing binoculars and you could own either and be happy for the rest of your life. For me personally the SFs were better for my eyes. I hunted with the ELs for 2 years without complaint. When I decided to add an 8x42 pair I researched and tried out the SFs and fell in love. They matched my eyes even better than the Els, extremely comfortable to look through and yes the FOV is wonderful. I really enjoyed how they balanced in my hand and the color was very pleasing to my eyes.

But like most things it’s all subjective to the user, best of luck deciding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk