Zeiss V4 4-16 44 or 50 mm objective question

pyle762

FNG
Looking to put one of these on a rifle for coues deer hunting. How big of difference is there in brightness between them? Is it negligible for what I need or would I be handicapping myself with a 44 mm objective?

Thanks

Should be able to get you an answer tonight as long as UPS doesn’t try to deliver before I get home. I have the 44mm on one rifle and just ordered the 50mm for another. The 44 is pretty dang bright, no complaints there. I’d imagine the 50mm is just that much better in low light with the larger objective and illumination.

archp625

WKR
Should be able to get you an answer tonight as long as UPS doesn’t try to deliver before I get home. I have the 44mm on one rifle and just ordered the 50mm for another. The 44 is pretty dang bright, no complaints there. I’d imagine the 50mm is just that much better in low light with the larger objective and illumination.
Please let us know. My brother has the 44mm and IM interested what the 50 has to offer.

So I put them side by side the last 15 min of "shooting light". The 50 mm was definitely brighter by a decent margin. The lit reticle really made a huge difference to me and solidified my preference for the 50mm. The 44 is no slouch but the 50mm is better in low light.

Awesome Thanks for the review! I am going to go with the 50 mm.
I think the illumination alone is worth the ~$100 difference and 1.5 oz penalty. I found that there was a lot of bleeding on higher brightness settings but somewhere around the 3-5 level was perfect. I couldn’t mount the 44mm any lower and had plenty of room for the 50mm so it was a no brainer. Extended talleys were needed to mount either scope on my long action, just an FYI if that’s your application.

OP
pyle762

pyle762

FNG
I think the illumination alone is worth the ~$100 difference and 1.5 oz penalty. I found that there was a lot of bleeding on higher brightness settings but somewhere around the 3-5 level was perfect. I couldn’t mount the 44mm any lower and had plenty of room for the 50mm so it was a no brainer. Extended talleys were needed to mount either scope on my long action, just an FYI if that’s your application.
Thanks. That answers a lot of my questions. I was wondering if I could go with lower rings with but I guess not. Not sure what you mean by the extended Talleys. The high Talley rings? Mine is going on a Bergara short action.

@pyle762
You could definitely do mediums, possibly even lows. My rifle is pictured with mediums. No need for the extended rings on a short action. It shifts the front ring back 3/8” which helps with mounting shorter length scopes on long actions.

aschuler

FNG
Thanks to you that provided input on this thread. I have one of these scopes inbound, in part because of the information here.

archp625

WKR
So I put them side by side the last 15 min of "shooting light". The 50 mm was definitely brighter by a decent margin. The lit reticle really made a huge difference to me and solidified my preference for the 50mm. The 44 is no slouch but the 50mm is better in low light.
Thanks for coming back to this and giving your opinion.

Honyock

WKR
The illuminated reticle is a game changer for me and I will probably not buy another scope without it. So much easier to pick it up quickly than with the regular fine line crosshairs. Maybe it's because I'm getting old and my eyes are going to crap.

Do you recall what power you had them on? Everything else equal, I would have thought they’d be basically the same at 8x or lower. Makes me wander if I step up to the 50mm or not given my old tired eyes.

Do you recall what power you had them on? Everything else equal, I would have thought they’d be basically the same at 8x or lower. Makes me wander if I step up to the 50mm or not given my old tired eyes.
12-16ish. Upper levels. Difference was less noticeable down low.