Zeiss V4 vs…?

etapia

Lil-Rokslider
I’m very close to pulling the trigger on the most recent Zeiss V4 4-16x44 for a 7mm mag but I’m wondering if there are any better options to consider.

Hunting and recreational target use only. No competition shooting.
12x-16x power on the high end. I already have some 10x scopes so I’m looking for a little more power but nothing crazy.
50mm objective lens or less. Will sometimes be used on horseback so I don't want issues with scabbard fit.
$1k price range.

None of my requirements are set in stone and I would sacrifice any within reason for a better scope. Anyone have any similar recommendations or have I already found my ideal scope based on needs?

OP
E

etapia

Lil-Rokslider
I've had good luck with the Vortex razor lht

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
No issues with it holding a zero? That seems to be the compaint on here with Vortex but I also know plenty who love their optics for the price. I'll give it a look!

I like my V4. I haven’t tortured it but the use it’s seen has been uneventful. If you go that route get a demo from Red Hawk. I think it’s the best deal in scopes.

prm

WKR
Trijicon Credo 2.5-15x42. Reviews are solid. I have one, but not run it through the paces yet.

OP
E

etapia

Lil-Rokslider
I like my V4. I haven’t tortured it but the use it’s seen has been uneventful. If you go that route get a demo from Red Hawk. I think it’s the best deal in scopes.
Yeah seems like a great deal!

OP
E

etapia

Lil-Rokslider
Trijicon Credo 2.5-15x42. Reviews are solid. I have one, but not run it through the paces yet.
I'll definitely look into it further. At a quick glance the specs look good!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
No issues with it holding a zero? That seems to be the compaint on here with Vortex but I also know plenty who love their optics for the price. I'll give it a look!
Ran the tall turret test on both the Razor lht scopes I have and both have perfect RTZ for me. I've been impressed with these Razors.

CoStick

WKR
Ran the tall turret test on both the Razor lht scopes I have and both have perfect RTZ for me. I've been impressed with these Razors.

I have one on the way, I searchEd hard and could not find reliability issues with this model outside of Ryan Avery saying he dropped it on the focus side and it shifted 1”, after that it didn’t replicate. It seems for the hunting task it was built for it has performed well. I did see people didn’t love the illumination and some issues were found with it.

OP
E

etapia

Lil-Rokslider
I have one on the way, I searchEd hard and could not find reliability issues with this model outside of Ryan Avery saying he dropped it on the focus side and it shifted 1”, after that it didn’t replicate. It seems for the hunting task it was built for it has performed well. I did see people didn’t love the illumination and some issues were found with it.
Thanks for the heads up! What was wrong with the illumination? Would it wash out or hard to adjust power? Or something else?

OP
E

etapia

Lil-Rokslider
I don't think the V4 can be beat for that price range. Especially if you find a demo. I have been through 3 of them and they all worked great.
Any issues with mounting? The mounting area on the tube seems pretty small so I am slightly worried about that.

ID_Matt

WKR
if you have a rail it shouldn't be a problem. I did run in to an issue with a long action Christensen arms using hawkings hybrid rings. had to file part of the ring base down so it didn't hit the magnification bell.

morgaj1

WKR
I had both Razor LHT and Zeiss V4. Ended up selling the Razor and now have 3 V4’s. I had issues with illumination intermittently not working on the LHT. Sent it back to Vortex twice. They ultimately replaced it with a new one. Aside from it not working correctly, I don’t like how I got flare in other parts of the reticle on the upper half of the brightness setting.

The V4’s I have are great: they track reliably, return to zero, have great glass and illumination is spot-on. Demo’s from Red Hawk have been like new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the V4 is likely the best of everything in it's class!

With that said, I will be watching the feedback/reviews on the Leica Amplus 6. Yes it is new. Yes no one has put it through it's paces, but it does seem like a strong competitor for the V4. If you're looking for something to compare the V4 to this scope might be it.

CoStick

WKR
once you are willing to go to 24 oz like the V4 you have a bunch of options at the heavier weights. The new Leica is 24 oz as well.

OP
E

etapia

Lil-Rokslider
I had both Razor LHT and Zeiss V4. Ended up selling the Razor and now have 3 V4’s. I had issues with illumination intermittently not working on the LHT. Sent it back to Vortex twice. They ultimately replaced it with a new one. Aside from it not working correctly, I don’t like how I got flare in other parts of the reticle on the upper half of the brightness setting.

The V4’s I have are great: they track reliably, return to zero, have great glass and illumination is spot-on. Demo’s from Red Hawk have been like new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the comparison! Exactly the type of info I was looking for. I've never had an illuminated scope before and I was worried of these type of issues. I kind of wished Red Hawk still had a demo in the non-illuminated reticle I likedz. Would save me a little cash too