Zeiss V4 vs…?

Vandy321

WKR
Own a V4 as well, cannot be beat for the price. And zero mounting issues on my 7RM, even with direct mount rings instead of a rail (tikka).

OP
E

etapia

Lil-Rokslider
I think the V4 is likely the best of everything in it's class!

With that said, I will be watching the feedback/reviews on the Leica Amplus 6. Yes it is new. Yes no one has put it through it's paces, but it does seem like a strong competitor for the V4. If you're looking for something to compare the V4 to this scope might be it.
I'll take a look at it! I never thought too much about Leica on this as I assumed majority of their good scopes would be out of my price range.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the comparison! Exactly the type of info I was looking for. I've never had an illuminated scope before and I was worried of these type of issues. I kind of wished Red Hawk still had a demo in the non-illuminated reticle I likedz. Would save me a little cash too
I've never used the illumination on either of my lht's, but I've reada few times that the early models would stop working.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
E

etapia

Lil-Rokslider
Own a V4 as well, cannot be beat for the price. And zero mounting issues on my 7RM, even with direct mount rings instead of a rail (tikka).
Nice to know! The 7 mag I have is an old browning so I would likely try to go direct with rings as well.

kevin11mee

Lil-Rokslider
I have a V4 and a Leupold VX 5 HD. Both are excellent. I think the V4 is just about a perfect hunting scope, but the Leupold is a bit lighter with maybe a tad brighter glass and a locking turret. I think the V4, VX5, and Vortex LHT are the best hunting scopes if you want to dial and you don't want a 30 ounce scope.

txtransplant

Lil-Rokslider
I’m very close to pulling the trigger on the most recent Zeiss V4 4-16x44 for a 7mm mag but I’m wondering if there are any better options to consider.

50mm objective lens or less. Will sometimes be used on horseback so I don't want issues with scabbard fit.
@etapia out of curiosity, is there any reason you're not looking at the V4 4-16x50 model?
I've noticed the objective lens is 50mm, but the objective bell is 56mm - is that your thinking? I was planning on the V4 4-16x50 model, but that 56mm bell gives me pause...

I don't think the V4 can be beat for that price range. Especially if you find a demo. I have been through 3 of them and they all worked great.
@hamilton1223 what do you mean by you've "been through 3 of them?" Have you had any issues with V4s?

ID_Matt

WKR
@etapia out of curiosity, is there any reason you're not looking at the V4 4-16x50 model?
I've noticed the objective lens is 50mm, but the objective bell is 56mm - is that your thinking? I was planning on the V4 4-16x50 model, but that 56mm bell gives me pause...

@hamilton1223 what do you mean by you've "been through 3 of them?" Have you had any issues with V4s?

No issues. Sold 1 of them with a gun to a family member. The other 2 are mounted on guns in my safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
E

etapia

Lil-Rokslider
I have a V4 and a Leupold VX 5 HD. Both are excellent. I think the V4 is just about a perfect hunting scope, but the Leupold is a bit lighter with maybe a tad brighter glass and a locking turret. I think the V4, VX5, and Vortex LHT are the best hunting scopes if you want to dial and you don't want a 30 ounce scope.
So all things considered you’d go VX5 but that’s sort of splitting hairs?

OP
E

etapia

Lil-Rokslider

Overall I was just looking for a slimmer package for horseback. But given the small mounting area combined with a long action I may need to still mount the 44mm so high that it may be worth it to just go up to the 50mm? So I’m still on the fence.

ZioRob

FNG
I'm looking at either a V4 or the VX5 HD and was wondering which is better at last light?

I think the V4 is likely the best of everything in it's class!

With that said, I will be watching the feedback/reviews on the Leica Amplus 6. Yes it is new. Yes no one has put it through it's paces, but it does seem like a strong competitor for the V4. If you're looking for something to compare the V4 to this scope might be it.
I don't these 2 scopes are direct competitors as the Leica has a much higher price point.

I've been extremely impressed with the V4. It is uber bright with good eye relief. The MOA reticle is fine enough to shoot same hole groups but not so fine as to hinder target acquisition in the dark. It has dialed to 500 and back and tracks well with the AB ultralight software in my sig bdx 1800. The exposed elevation turret was initially a potential downside for me, but the clicks are very firm and would take a substantial amount of accidental rotational force to run off zero but a vortex scope cover is a quick solution that also provides good protection.