Zeiss Victory RF vs Leica Geovid 3200 for Hunting

Ledd Slinger

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve always been a bit of an optics snob myself. Have owned various Vortex Razor HD optics (spotter, 10x42 and 10x50 binos), Meopta Meostar HD (B1 HD binos, S2 HD spotter with 20-70 and 30-60WA eyepieces), Swarovski ATX spotter with 65mm, 95mm, and 1.7x extender, Nikon HG 10x42, Leica Ultravid BR 10x42 and most recently the flagship Leica Noctivid 10x42 binoculars.

I know my way around good glass and have become accustomed to noticing the major differences between cheap, mid grade, and high end glass as well as the subtlest differences between different pieces of high end glass.

I sold my Leica Noctivids this year in anticipation of the upcoming Meopta B2 binocular designed to compete with the best of the best. But in the mean time I needed something to get me by for this hunting season and I purchased a set of Nikon LaserForce rangefinding binoculars I found on sale for a good price. ED glass but made in China. Glass is great with excellent resolution for the money, but CA is not controlled very well. Of course I wasn’t expecting the LaserForce to compete optically with high end binos, but they are no slouch and actually perform quite well. Rangefinder easily ranges to the 1900 yard claim and worked very well in -16 deg temps last weekend.

However, the reason I mention the Nikon LaserForce isn't to promote it, although it is an excellent device for the money, but rather because this is the first time I have used a rangefinding bino for hunting in the high country of Montana. I very quickly found that it is SO much nicer having one device to view and range at the same time. At least for rifle hunting anyway. For archery, I will still probably carry my compact binos and a separate handheld rangefinder because they are easier to use with one hand.

Being that I unexpectedly found this new love for a rangfinding binocular combo, I started doing a ton of research on the top tier Rangefinding binos so I could have the convenience of the combo device coupled with alpha glass. I found a lot of good reviews. This guy likes Zeiss Victory RF, that guy likes Leica, the other guys still likes his Swaro EL range, etc...
Same ol big 3 biases that you see in the standard bino reviews.

So I decided to go see for myself today at a local shop that carries them all. Here’s my thoughts...

Swaro EL Range:
- Great glass but slow rangefinder and uncomfortable to hold so they quickly went back in the case and knocked out of the competition.

So now on to the heralded Zeiss Victory RF 10x42:
-Great glass that is really easy to get behind...and that’s about where it ends.
The rangefinder buttons are on the front of the barrels in really odd spots that knock the bino out of balance when you push them. But the very worst part of all is that whenever you push the button, it immediately ranges but never gives you a reticle to aim first. Then the reticle goes away really fast before you can make an accurate aim and range again. Absolutely hated it. I much rather prefer to hit the button, get a reticle in the view, aim exactly where I want the beam to hit, and press again to range. I also prefer to have the reticle remain for a few seconds in case I want to make another range before it disappears.
Only Pro about the Zeiss is the warranty. It’s the best amongst the big 3 with a 5 year no fault and fully transferable lifetime limited after that.

Leica 3200.com:
This device is a true masterpiece of optical excellence and technology all rolled into one. It has all of the Bluetooth capabilities of the Zeiss and then some. Will link to a Kestrel, and even link to an Apple Watch to give you holdovers on your watch. Phone app lets you custom load your ballistic drops to the bino just like the Zeiss.
Optically, it has a very slight lesser FOV than the Zeiss and the Zeiss has a slightly better depth of field without touching the focus wheel, but the resolution on the Leica is absolutely stunning when dialed in on the focus and the contrast on colors to make similar shades clearly stand apart is noticeably better to my eyes. All colors are brighter and more vivid in the Leica. I was constantly impressed with everything I viewed thru the Geovid whereas with the Zeiss it was a very nice view, but nothing that really blew my mind. Slightly boring very neutral contrast similar to Swarovski.
Ergonomically, the Leica is hands down the most comfortable binocular I have put in my hands. They were so comfortable I found that while evaluating and talking about them for about 20 minutes, I never wanted to set them down. I couldn’t get over how comfortable they were to hold! They are listed as slightly heavier than the Zeiss, but they feel way lighter because the balance and hand ergonomics is so masterfully crafted. The buttons are exactly where they should be right where your index finger naturally lies on the optic. Pressing the rangefinder button doesn’t upset the view at all. First press brings up an auto adjusting brightness reticle that is perfectly lit in all situations. You have plenty of time to aim accurately and with a second press, the range return reading is so lightning fast you’ll just about piss your pants with excitement. It returns readings so fast you can press the button as fast as you want and the reading will be displayed before you can release the button. Unreal.

Between the superior optical quality, amazing ergonomics, and insanely fast and extremely powerful rangefinder with all the latest and greatest features, the Leica Geovid 3200.com leaves all other rangefinding binos in the dust with ease. It is truly in a class of its own and the rest of the crowd has some serious catching up to do if the ever want to compete with the Leica.

I think it’s obvious in my review that I will no doubt be purchasing the Leica. This is all just my opinion, but to me the Leica was an absolute superior optical and rangefinding device in every single way.

Last edited:
OP
Spiral Horn
Between the superior optical quality, amazing ergonomics, and insanely fast and extremely powerful rangefinder with all the latest and greatest features, the Leica Geovid 3200.com leaves all other rangefinding binos in the dust with ease. It is truly in a class of its own and the rest of the crowd has some serious catching up to do if the ever want to compete with the Leica
Thanks for your input, always good to have multiple perspectives, especially ones that reach different conclusions.

Agree that Leica definitely has more Rangefinding features than the competition, with upgraded software and Kestral Elite Bluetooth integration. As someone who’s primarily a hunter I‘m not convinced how practical Kestral integration will be in most real-world hunting situations. If a dedicated long-range shooter I’d likely see it differentl. The Zeiss is no slouch for a hunter and it consistently ranged within a yard or two of my Leica CRF. Also as a long-time Leica CRF user I’m very familair and comfortable with the display and to me it is better than the Zeiss. But what really left me shocked and disappointed was Leica upgrading to a 3R laser in the 3500.com CRF but not the Geovid 3200.com.

Almost every review of the Zeiss Victory RFs starts out by saying they are a true Alpha Class Binocular, similar to the Victory HTs. With Flourite Lenses, Lucotec coatings, Abbe-Koenig Prisms, and Zeiss Optical Engineering, they are amazingly sharp and their depth of field and brightness might actually outperform my Victory SFs. While it is possible someone else might prefer the Geovid’s image to RF’s - to claim they are optically superior???

The Geovids are also a much larger device, and while the RFs fit into standard binocular cases and harnesses, the Geovids generally do not. As far as the APP features and position and ability to redesignate buttons, those are all really a matter of preference.

Just like Matt Cashell, I’ll stand my choice of the Victory RF. Respect anyone preferring the Geovid 3200.com as it is a quality device, but “leaving the RF in the dust with ease” is probably a bit overstated.

BTW - as someone who also does quite a bit of bowhunting I’ve already ordered the Leica CRF 3500.com. IMO Leica makes the best CRF and the new 3R laser will come in handy while cutting through mountain mist. Also just the ticket if doing a combo bow and rifle hunt for multiple species.

Last edited:

Ledd Slinger

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for your input, always good to have multiple perspectives, especially ones that reach different conclusions.

Agree that Leica definitely has more Rangefinding features than the competition, with upgraded software and Kestral Elite Bluetooth integration. As someone who’s primarily a hunter I‘m not convinced how practical Kestral integration will be in most real-world hunting situations. If a dedicated long-range shooter I’d likely see it differentl. The Zeiss is no slouch for a hunter and it consistently ranged within a yard or two of my Leica CRF. Also as a long-time Leica CRF user I’m very familair and comfortable with the display and to me it is better than the Zeiss. But what really left me shocked and disappointed was Leica upgrading to a 3R laser in the 3500.com CRF but not the Geovid 3200.com.

Almost every review of the Zeiss Victory RFs starts out by saying they are a true Alpha Class Binocular, similar to the Victory HTs. With Flourite Lenses, Lucotec coatings, Abbe-Koenig Prisms, and Zeiss Optical Engineering, they are amazingly sharp and their depth of field and brightness might actually outperform my Victory SFs. While it is possible someone else might prefer the Geovid’s image to RF’s - to claim they are optically superior???

The Geovids are also a much larger device, and while the RFs fit into standard binocular cases and harnesses, the Geovids generally do not. As far as the APP features and position and ability to redesignate buttons, those are all really a matter of preference.

Just like Matt Cashell, I’ll stand my choice of the Victory RF. Respect anyone preferring the Geovid 3200.com as it is a quality device, but “leaving the RF in the dust with ease” is probably a bit overstated.

BTW - as someone who also does quite a bit of bowhunting I’ve already ordered the Leica CRF 3500.com. IMO Leica makes the best CRF and the new 3R laser will come in handy while cutting through mountain mist. Also just the ticket if doing a combo bow and rifle hunt for multiple species.
Everyone’s eyes are different, but there was no doubt to me that the Leica glass was better. Resolution was sharper and contrast between slightly different shades of colors was more distinct. Everything about the view in the Leica is amazing. The Zeiss is great no doubt and on the alpha level, but it’s just not as good as Leica. And I am not the only one who believes the Leica glass is better. Many reviews out there on the older 3000-b where people also agree Leica beats the Zeiss RF optically.

The 3500.com has a larger beam divergence so it’s a give and take situation. Cant range small targets as accurately with the 3500.com, but may range in bad weather better. However, the Leica 3200.com laser will blow the doors off the Zeiss RF any day of the week with return readings so fast it’s mind boggling.

Yes the Leica Geovid is a large device. But the ergonomics are so much better than the Zeiss that it far outweighs the slight inconvenience of having to purchase a larger bino harness.

The Zeiss rangefinder buttons are so poorly placed and the fact that a reticle does not appear to give an aim point prior to ranging is completely unacceptable. I have no idea what they were thinking when they decided to go with those designs. Piss poor decisions.

So basically other than the Leica being larger than the Zeiss and having to get a larger bino harness for it, I see no other reasons why a person would choose Zeiss RF over the Leica.

And I respect Matt Cashells reviews, but I don’t care if he raved about the Zeiss. He hasnt reviewed the 3200.com yet has he? I bet he’d also prefer the Leica 3200.com if he did a review on them. I also live in western Montana and have been hunting the Rocky Mountains since I was a child. I am no novice to alpha class glass and unless you’ve owned a lot of them over the years like Matt and myself, it’s hard to tell the differences.

If a person is happy with the Zeiss RF, more power to them. I’m happy for them. But the Zeiss is in no way a better ranging bino. Leica pioneered the first laser rangefinding binocular many years ago and they’ve chiseled it down to a fine art. The new Geovids are simply amazing.

Last edited:

Ledd Slinger

Lil-Rokslider
Just up in the Rocky Mountain high country glassing for mule deer and elk today. Big Ol’ saucer paw grizzled pig was up here as well. Yikes! Head on a swivel. Lol

299B37D5-6E5F-4E9C-A894-B3D8AD079EAB.jpeg

8C63B7B4-DF7E-464B-80AC-40D8E8CC3843.jpeg

E9C54077-5EB4-432E-AE7F-5FA31D55883E.jpeg

Vegeman

FNG
I've owned a lare handful of alpha glass from Zeiss, Swaro and Leica. I'm currently running a pair of NL Pures which are faulty and have been sent back to Swaro for repair/replacement.

Most moden roof prism binos just aren't at the same level (quality wise) as binoculars once used to be. Doesn't matter how much you pay, manufacturers build these things to a price point.

That said - in my experience Leicas (and the Geovids in particular - with their substantial rubber armouring) are some of, if not the most well made, roof prism binos on the market. A step above Swaro and Zeiss.

OP
Spiral Horn
That said - in my experience Leicas (and the Geovids in particular - with their substantial rubber armouring) are some of, if not the most well made, roof prism binos on the market. A step above Swaro and Zeiss.
The Geovids are not roof prisms. They are poro prisms.

Ill jump in. I have not used the leica but I have used the zeiss victory RF for 2 seasons now. I also have a sig kilo 2200bdx rangefinder and will jump in with that even though you didnt ask.

Zeiss Victory 10x54 RF
The glass is amazing. I have never been disappointed in the glass at all. It rivals if not is better then my swaro EL SV.
The range finder is good and I didnt have any problems ranging antelope out to 800-900 yards. Over 1k on pronghorn sized animals I struggled with. Reflective targets I have never had a problem ranging.
Ballistics. I normally use strelok for my ballistics app. Obviously everyones ballistics program is a touch different. However with altering MV and BC I can get the ballistic table in the zeiss app very close to my strelok ballistic table that I have validated out to 1k yards. However I feel that the zeiss app and built in ballistic program is the achilles heel of these great binos. Not having G7 BC is a fail. The ballistics program uses G1 profiles. More just a complaint is it doesnt have step BC profiles either. With strelok I am using G7 profiles. I do like the fact that I can pull up the ballistic table in the zeiss app and compare it to my ballistic table in strelok. I have them where the drop matches. At 1k with a vastly different enviromentals I dont know if I would trust it. I would still likely fire up my kestrel and strelok and verfiy at long range. I ran down this rabbit hole again sunday loading a new gun on my binos. I have come to the realization that I likely wont shoot at game past 300-500 max yards as a personal decision anyways so the rabbit hole I was down didn't really matter. One day there will be some industry standard for ballistic apps and things will sync up a little better. I dont think the zeiss can connect to a weather station via the binos or app. If it can I havent figured it out yet.

Sig kilo2200bdx rangefinder
great ranging abilities and hyper scan or what ever its called works well. Seems to range well and far. The readout is good and the inclometer is correct. This is where the good stops. Sig really dropped the ball and had 4 monkeys hump it in their app. I cant even figure out how to view the ballistic table on my gun profiles. They maybe using AB software on the back end but the gun profile and not having a ballistic table is a bigger fail then the zeiss app. Maybe I'm just not smart enough to figure out the sig app. This experience with the rangefinder software has made sure I will not buy or try the sig binos.

In closing I'm semi disappointed in zeiss. I wish they would hire an actual ballistic guy to clean up their app and simplify it. I dont need to keep a damn hunting diary in my bino app. I need my bino app to load an accurate ballistic profile on my binos and be able to connect to my kestrel for updated enviromentals with out cell service.

Sig. Im angry at you. Back to the drawing board on your app completely. Thanks for making a good rangefinder with a giant F on the app.
Thanks for the input. It's been a few years. I looked at the big 3 alpha RF bino's today (in a store). I couldn't get the RF reticle in the Leica's to focus very well. The zeiss were definitely my favorite but I have the same reservations you mentioned about about the ballistic curves. Do you know if there is any way to import a custom g7 curve etc (aka have they updated this yet)?

If you have any other advice I'd love to hear it.