Zeiss Victory SF vs Swaro NL Pure

Sorry in advance for the threads. About to make a pretty big move on some glass.

I’m looking at the Zeiss Victory SF or Swaro NL Pure in 10x42. So far I’ve heard they are neck and neck except the Swaro has a larger FOV and is sharp all the way to the edge. Zeiss Victory is very very close.

I’m partial to Zeiss optics. From what I’ve read on bird watching forums, the slightly larger FOV in the NL Pure is not a substantial gain because the Zeiss SF is so sharp.

Anyone test both or own both?

Ten Bears

WKR
I have owned Gen 1 and 2 SF in 10x42 and 8x32 SFs. I have also owned Swarovski El 10x42 and 10x42 NLs.

I absolutely loved my SF 8x32s but when I looked through the NLs I was blown away. If the extra cost is no issue give them a go. Incredible glass. And personally I prefer the Swarovski eye cups over the SFs.

chicoredneck

Lil-Rokslider
I have Zeiss sf 8x32 and NL 10x42. It’s not apples to apples due to the objective size and magnification difference. I think they are both fantastic glass. I can’t say 1 is better than the other. The NL has a wide field of view as everyone is aware of and the sharp image all the way to the edge is petty awesome off a tripod. However, they suffer more from glare than the Zeiss SF.

OP
General RE LEE
I have Zeiss sf 8x32 and NL 10x42. It’s not apples to apples due to the objective size and magnification difference. I think they are both fantastic glass. I can’t say 1 is better than the other. The NL has a wide field of view as everyone is aware of and the sharp image all the way to the edge is petty awesome off a tripod. However, they suffer more from glare than the Zeiss SF.

Not the same level but Optica Exotica on You Tube prefers the Zeiss Conquest HD to the Swaro SLC for hunting. Glare when glassing in the early morning or late evening over a field is a problem.

Porfilync

FNG
I can’t speak on the Ziess Victory’s but I upgraded from Leica goevids to the 10x42 NL Pur last year and it was 100% worth they investment. If you can afford them, they are the best binos you can buy!

OP
General RE LEE
I hunt field edges and woods here in TN. The classic 8x or 10x debate is also a consideration. Both have their strengths but I exclusively hand hold my binos and I don’t glass anything over 700 yards so I’m leaning towards 8x for extra exit pupil and steadiness.

chicoredneck

Lil-Rokslider
I also have a Leica Geovid 3000. Both the Zeiss SF and Swarovski NL outclass the Geovid optically. They are all equally sharp to my eyes, but the Geovid suffers from significant distortion compared to the other two that have flat and clear images to nearly the field stop. The Geovid also has a shallower depth of field compared to the other two. That being said, the Geovid is still outstanding glass with a very sharp image and great color and contrast.

Sorry in advance for the threads. About to make a pretty big move on some glass.

I’m looking at the Zeiss Victory SF or Swaro NL Pure in 10x42. So far I’ve heard they are neck and neck except the Swaro has a larger FOV and is sharp all the way to the edge. Zeiss Victory is very very close.

I’m partial to Zeiss optics. From what I’ve read on bird watching forums, the slightly larger FOV in the NL Pure is not a substantial gain because the Zeiss SF is so sharp.

Anyone test both or own both?
Any chance to look through both in a meaningful setting? Seriously, you are considering 2 of the very best, differences are going to be so minimal and subjective

I chose the NL for a few reasons, I didn’t have a chance to have both on a tripod to compare all day through different scenarios

I don’t think you can go remotely wrong with either

Not the same level but Optica Exotica on You Tube prefers the Zeiss Conquest HD to the Swaro SLC for hunting. Glare when glassing in the early morning or late evening over a field is a problem.
I would be polar opposite, I think slc’s are great all around binos and was underwhelmed with the conquest (only compared 15’s side by side)

The conquest remind me almost exactly of the razor uhd… not a fan of either

The SF is a different beast, and I would be content using them exclusively… but the NL actually had a “wow” factor for me… the larger FOV and absolute edge to edge clarity emphasizes the increased FOV for a very unique glassing experience

Ucsdryder

WKR
I had the SF and compared to my buddy EL we both preferred the SF. For the price difference the SF might be a strong consideration, but I’ve heard great things about the NL. Until I see how my warranty claim is resolved I’m in a holding pattern recommending ZEISS to anybody.

I have the Zeiss SF 8x42 and the NL Pure 10x42. Although it is not an exact comparison due to the magnification difference, my observations are as follows:

- The Zeiss SF is easier to hand hold, the weight is slightly shifted back towards the eye-piece so they feel much lighter than they are. So less hand fatigue if you are doing a lot of glassing without support.

- For one hand use, I prefer the ergonomics on the Zeiss SF, the shape and size of the barrels on the Zeiss are easier for me to hold with 1 hand. This was an issue for me when ground hunting with a bow, birding while walking the dog, etc.

- Optically I think the NL Pure has the edge with the wider FOV and edge to edge.

- The NL Pure suffers from glare more than the Zeiss SF.

- The NL Pure forehead rest helps stabilizing a 10x for non-supported use but I can still hold the 8x Zeiss better.

- The NL Pure eye cups are thinner and fit my face better.

Since I use a 10x on a tripod sometimes, I'm glad i got the NL Pure. If I was never going to use a tripod and wanted an 8x to handhold, I'm glad i went with the Zeiss SF.

Like others have said, these 2 optics are both so incredible that I think anyone would be happy with either one and for that kind of money you need to try them out side by side.

Can’t speak to the NLs but I have zero complaints from my 8x42 SFs. FOV is wide, they’re comfortable to hold and use. The glass manages glare and suboptimal light well. Easy to handhold and when mounted on a tripod are downright incredible. I’ll be posting my 15x Meoptas for sale soon as I find that I really don’t use them much any more. I left them behind for some hunts last year and didn’t miss them, having my 8x42s and 883 spotter. Are the NLs better? Maybe incrementally, but I may never know, the Zeiss’s check every box for me and I paid roughly half what NLs go for.

Can’t go wrong with either. What about the Leica Noctovid?
Agree, these alpha discussions or comparisons aren't complete until the alpha Leica is involved. Turned out when I jumped into the game I had Leica eyes. I would have chosen the Zeiss over the Swaro's if had to but Leica won the day.

I checked out the 10x42 NL, EL, and EL TA the other night at Scheels and besides the TA being a little subpar, I had a hard time telling the difference between the NL and EL. I was looking all over the valley and at different objects miles away. Now, it was 2 hours before dark and I did read that after hours the NL is much easier on the eye strain. Just my .02 cents.

Bluto

WKR
OP - did you make a call? Just curious. The Zeiss fit me best and the eyecups are far better to me. But I can see a low single digit percentage gain in edge clarity with the Swaro’s. Small, but it’s there.

OP
General RE LEE
OP - did you make a call? Just curious. The Zeiss fit me best and the eyecups are far better to me. But I can see a low single digit percentage gain in edge clarity with the Swaro’s. Small, but it’s there.

Not yet. Still no waiting on house to close.

I own both pairs. Same configuration. I much prefer the NL from ergonomics to glass. I’m a Zeiss fan, but there’s no denying that my personal preference is definitely the Swarovski. The glass to me just looks so much better.