Zeiss, Vortex, GPO, Nikon HG

270quest

WKR
If you needed a new set of 10x42's and you had the ability to get binoculars cheaper than retail (ebay, demos, ect) likely in the $8-900...What would you choose?

Zeiss Conquest HD 10X42
Vortex Razor HD 10X42
GPO Passion HD 10X42
Nikon Monarch HG 10X42

Something Else?

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I’d keep saving for one more grade up of Zeiss, or equal Swarovski or Leica.

The only non Alpha that I personally would buy is the Leica Trinovid.

Tomly

FNG
No experience with the GPO, but of those listed I would go with the Conquest. Solid performer.

That said, ergonomics are a big factor in this kind of purchase. I’d try to get my hands on a few options in a store to compare.

Wow, it only took one post to tell the OP to buy something more expensive. LOL Never fails in an optics thread.

In that price range, I'd get the Conquest HD's. I've owned all the ones you have listed above except for the Nikon HG's but I did borrow a pair of those for a while. That would be my 2nd choice.

Meoptas are super nice, but bulky and heavy.

What is your thoughts and differences between the 2. I have looked at both and really like both inside the stores but couldn’t look at them side by side, different stores.

Conquest could get razor sharp in the sweet spot when you focused on something. I compared them side by side with SLC's and struggled to differentiate on which could resolve better. Ultimately i got annoyed with how shallow the depth of field was. It was a constant game of moving the focus wheel trying to get things back in focus.

I haven't compared the HG's to much side by side but they are plenty sharp for me and have a better depth of field. My biggest gripe is how worthless the objective lens caps are. They pop off if you look at them wrong, good luck getting them in a bino harness still in place.. I use EL 12x50's for bigger open country and hoping i'll stay content with the HG's for more mobile and less glassing intense situations.