Zeiss vs votex vs Lica

Mojave

WKR
I knew they are Japanese glass, but based out of Lander is what I meant. If I'm not mistaken GPO is built in Japan and "inspected" in Germany, and they claim "German Precision Optics" - Whole different level of shady if you ask me. I have been happy with the Mavens, especially compared to the price range of other Japanese glass. (Vortex Razor UHD especially) I know the GPO's are are in the ballpark price wise, just not a fan of their claim to fame.
Most (if not all) GPO's are made in China.

Kahles binoculars and range finders are made in either PI or China out of German parts. Scopes are made in the Swarovski factory. This is what I was told from Optics Trade in Slovenia.

Not enough information. Plus there are about 1000 threads already here that ask basically the same question.

Figure out your absolute top end budget, then go handle the bins in that range. That's the only way you'll know for sure. Your eyes and ergonomic preferences are unique to you. Nobody else can decide for you.

Keep in mind that Vortex and even Zeiss make bins that aren't all that good. They also make some outstanding bins. Brand names alone, without models, are pointless to argue over.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
OP
Matt44

Matt44

FNG
I knew they are Japanese glass, but based out of Lander is what I meant. If I'm not mistaken GPO is built in Japan and "inspected" in Germany, and they claim "German Precision Optics" - Whole different level of shady if you ask me. I have been happy with the Mavens, especially compared to the price range of other Japanese glass. (Vortex Razor UHD especially) I know the GPO's are are in the ballpark price wise, just not a fan of their claim to fame.
I’ve looked threw a set of UHD’s and was not impressed what so ever

nobody

WKR
I’ve looked threw a set of UHD’s and was not impressed what so ever
Just goes to show why there are many different brands out there. I got the 10x50 UHD's last fall and actively chose them OVER Swarovski because they had better color fidelity and performance in low light in my testing. Everyone's eyes are different.

OP
Matt44

Matt44

FNG
Just goes to show why there are many different brands out there. I got the 10x50 UHD's last fall and actively chose them OVER Swarovski because they had better color fidelity and performance in low light in my testing. Everyone's eyes are different.
I’m coming to think the same exact thing. In my view of the uhds they looked dark in daylight good image but didn’t think it was as crisp as the Zeiss conquest hd. Not knocking them I really wanted to get them till I looked threw them. Everyone’s eyes are different for sure. And I’m not set on a certain brand at all. What ever fits me the best. Definitely need options and opinions because this stuff isn’t cheep. Anyone heard anything on the maven b1.2?

I’m coming to think the same exact thing. In my view of the uhds they looked dark in daylight good image but didn’t think it was as crisp as the Zeiss conquest hd. Not knocking them I really wanted to get them till I looked threw them. Everyone’s eyes are different for sure. And I’m not set on a certain brand at all. What ever fits me the best. Definitely need options and opinions because this stuff isn’t cheep. Anyone heard anything on the maven b1.2?
My buddy has the 10x42 B1.2, he likes them. Other buddy has a pair of Zeiss, Zeiss blows them out of the water when you look through both. Maybe look into Mavens demo program, pay for them and try them out for a couple weeks, if you dont like them send them back and you get a full refund.

OP
Matt44

Matt44

FNG
My buddy has the 10x42 B1.2, he likes them. Other buddy has a pair of Zeiss, Zeiss blows them out of the water when you look through both. Maybe look into Mavens demo program, pay for them and try them out for a couple weeks, if you dont like them send them back and you get a full refund.
Thanks for the info buddy

I have a pair of SLC's and just spent 2 weeks demoing the Maven B1.2. I would say I might not have the best eyes or am not the most picky. Would consider average for how my eyes see glass and what they like. WIth that said I noticed that the SLC's were a hair brighter. Could hardly notice but that's just what it seemed like to me. Maybe my brain was saying that since I spent more on them. Clarity I could not tell any difference. I really liked the Maven's and honestly don't think you would be giving up anything going with them in that price range. Demo them and see what you think about them.

LightFoot

WKR
Says a whole lot about Vortex marketing that they are being considered in the same category as Zeiss, Leica, and Swarovski.

Not sure about the others but Leica has a new warranty (similar to Vortex) that covers everything for 10 years.

I sold my Leica Ultravid 8x42 to get a pair of rangefinding Vortex 10x42…. I wish I would have kept them and just got a sig rangefinder… that I ended up buying anyway.

If I were buying new now… I’d get new Leica.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Not enough information. Plus there are about 1000 threads already here that ask basically the same question.
Completely agree - too many variables = what kind of environment? Preference for 32, 42 or 50mm designs? Every optics decision is a compromise of features to some degree. Best-all-around means “it is suitable“ for a large number of applications but it usually isn’t the best available for specific settings. $1500 is a good budget and should be able to get anyone into a binocular they’d be happy with, but it does not quite reach the true Alpha class.

32mm - would recommend 8x vs 10x (based on simple physics and light transmission). A few very good options are the Zeiss Conquest HD and Victory FL (used), Leica Ultravid HD+, and Swarovski EL (used). All of these have very sharp/bright optics for their size and are a joy to handle. However, their larger objective brethren will generally offer a smidge sharper detail and better low light performance.

42mm - many more options here and both 8x & 10x are fine choices (just preference). 42mm offers a very good balance of superb optics and light transmission while still offering good ergonomics and handling (but that can vary quite a bit between brands/designs - so be sure to try before buying). For example, the Kowa Genesis 10.5x44 and SLC 10x42 are very close optically and some might rate the Kowa as a smidge better. But there is a huge difference in ergonomics and handling that make the SLC a clear winner for me. A few I‘d recommend checking out are SLC (used), Conquest HD, Maven B1.2 (although I prefer the B6 50mm), Nikon Monarch HG (handles extremely well). The “new kid” that I’ll certainly be trying out soon is the Zeiss SFL in 10x40.

50mm and above - big objective binoculars almost always perform best in low light, but many would be surprised to find, depending on optics system design, some are not brighter than 42mm in full daylight. The great news is they often have very crisp, immersive views, and they are well suited for higher magnification. For example, my 10x56 SLC is optically superior to my 10x42 SLC. If I know it will mostly be a stationary or truck-based viewing session I’ll more likely have the 56mm, but if going on a sheep hunt it will be the 42mms. But I’ve found a gem in this class and to me that is the Maven B6 10x50. The B6 is small and light for a 50mm glass and handles more like a 42mm while still offering the bright and immersive characteristics of a 10x50 - well done Maven. Just took that glass on my recent Greenland Muskox Hunt and was very satisfied.

Just sharing a few thoughts for consideration. There are many other fine choices in the $1500 and under market.

Last edited: