Zen Ray Binos

PAS

FNG
Does anyone know what ever happened to Zen Ray optics ? They used to make very nice binos for the money. Have they rebranded under a different name? Who makes binos closest to their optical quality in their price point?

atmat

WKR
That’s a name I haven’t heard in a while. Last I remember, they shut down in 2017 or 2018.

PVS

FNG
It's really frustrating. I've owned mine since probably 2012 or so and have liked them well but will likely end up buying something else since it's unclear whether I'll ever get my property returned.

atmat

WKR
It's really frustrating. I've owned mine since probably 2012 or so and have liked them well but will likely end up buying something else since it's unclear whether I'll ever get my property returned.
When did you send them in? The company is defunct, so I’d say it’s safe to assume you’re not ever getting your property back — which I agree is really frustrating.

That’s part of why I advised some folks early on to not get Maven. The stories ran similar: super great glass at very low price points with a lifetime warranty from a brand new company. I really hope Maven holds on, though.

4th_point

WKR
I thought that there was some sort of family issue, then they went out of business. Steve C might know the details but I don't think that he has posted here for awhile.

I met the owner of Zen Ray, Charles. Very nice guy and helpful when I had a QC problem with one binocular. The replacement 7x36 that I received was awesome. I compared it day and night repeatedly against the 8x30 SLC-neu that I had, and it was better in everyway. Glare, flare, ghosting, low light, sharpness, etc were all clearly better. And half the price. But, I don't consider the 8x30 SLC-neu that remarkable either. Needless to say that original 7x36 went on to have a cult following among birders and hunters that were aware of how good that binocular was.

Too bad they went out of business. If a business relies on one or two people running the show, then it seems like a lot of risk?

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Zen-Ray started as a direct to consumer optics company (sound familiar?) owned by an industry guy named Charles. Charles knew where to source product and because he had no real overhead he was able to offer his optics, which were great BTW, for a lower price than similar offerings by the major brands. After a few years in business he started selling through retailers. We were one who carried his products and those of you who purchased their optics from us know we told you that the company was owned and operated by Charles and if anything ever happened to Charles we have no idea what'll happen to Zen-Ray. In October of 2018 Charles retired and basically went from being in business one day and off the face of the planet the next day. We tried reaching him through all business channels as well as his cell phone, no luck.
This, unfortunately, is the concern when buying from a single owner operated brand.

4th_point

WKR
Yeah the business office, at the time I visited, was pretty sparse.

I asked him how he got started and he said that he was an avid birder. And knew where and how to effectively source optical devices in China. I also think he understood the culture and language, so that probably helped a lot.

He was telling me about the spotting scope that was to be released and I asked about big eyes. He said that the birders didn't seem interested, but the hunters kept pestering him. At the time it didn't seem like a good business move for Zen Ray.

I sold my Zen Ray but recommended the brand to some friends, especially since we had access to the company locally. Then poof! Gone.

OP
P

PAS

FNG
Bummer…. These fly by night companies are no bueno

squish72

FNG
I love my Zen Rays! Sad to see them go away like that, but for that price it was a gamble worth taking for me

Firehawk

WKR
I still have a Prime HD 8x42 that I absolutely LOVED! Until the focus mechanism busted. Then I couldn't get any warranty. Still have hung onto them hoping that they would magically appear as a company again and offer a fix for my bino. The glass was so good and, on the surface, the build seemed like quality. I moved on since that day, but I have hung onto them just in case.

Big Ern

WKR
Good ‘ol Zen Rays….great stuff for the money. I have a pair of their binos that are still running strong that my 12 year old now uses.

Too bad they are no more.