Zero Degree Bag for Active Sleepers

Looking for a cold weather bag and I'm a pretty active sleeper. Mostly sides and stomach. In my cheapo REI bag I usually wake up often feeling constricted in the bag. I used a quilt last year and I'm apparently too active for those, got quite cold a few times despite an xtherm and using all the straps/snaps on the EE.

Any recommendations from fellow active sleepers? I'll use this for anything in the 30's to single digits. Preferably down and lighter for backpacking.

I don't assume there are any real solutions for stomach sleepers that want to put their arms around the pillow...other than wearing a puffy. Which I do...But I can generally get some sleep on my sides as well.

EasilyExcited

Lil-Rokslider
I really like my stone glacier bag. I'm 6ft and 200ish lbs and have plenty of room to flop around

T28w

WKR
Have you tried a semi rectangular bag? This was a huge improvement for me, I only sleep on side or stomach also, but obviously tradeoff is weight and packability is not as good.

OP
SteveAndTheCrigBoys
The Zen Bivy system looks nice (and heavy) but unfortunately it doesn't look like they make a 0 degree.

I'm definitely thinking semi-rectangular. The Nemo spoon shaped bags have caught my eye too.

Bearsears

WKR
+1 for the Stone Glacier bag. Im a side sleeper and very active with wide shoulders. This bag has been the most comfortable Ive had Its really wide in the shoulders and mid section. Only knock I have is the footbox could be a touch wider.

T28w

WKR
The Zen Bivy system looks nice (and heavy) but unfortunately it doesn't look like they make a 0 degree.

I'm definitely thinking semi-rectangular. The Nemo spoon shaped bags have caught my eye too.
Well I went all in and got a sequoia. Very happy with it but it was very expensive. Just have to decide if it’s worth it. The difference between the sequoia and my older marmot down bags is significant but so was the price diff.

I am 6’4” 230ish and all over the place when I sleep and am very happy with the wm badger. It’s the first bag I have really liked. I got it overstuffed so probably 10ish degrees and obviously I got the extra long, I believe they have 3 or four lengths which is nice. I will use it like a quilt more often than not because I sleep warm, but when it needs to be zipped up It is very comfortable. I think the 0 degree version of the same shape is the Kodiak. I won a Nemo bag, the firstlite version of the sonic and really wanted to like it but it was a regular length and not anywhere near long enough even for my buddy who is 6’. It did seem like the shape would’ve been good though for room. The stone glacier was on my short list but I couldn’t find one in stock in a long and found the wm badger in stock which is great because I’m good for years now in the bag department. Feathered friends was also on my list and is supposed to be very similar to wm, I can’t remember the model, but again I couldn’t find one of those in stock either. I personally think any of those would be a winner for a good bag with extra room.

Another vote for the Western Mountaineering Kodiak MF. I side sleep and toss and turn a ton with the bag. This bag just makes me happy every night. I use the AlpinLite more due to when I hunt but the Kodiak is just a dream when I use it. The extra few inches it gives over the AlpinLite is huge because it’s circumference. Great bag for tossing electronics and boot liners into to dry as well while you sleep.

I bought the Kuiu Superdown 0 degree bag several years ago. It is amazing. I'm a cold, active sleeper and it works great for me.

I second the Western Mountaineering Sequoia with overfill. With the overfill on a good insulated pad you should be golden. I have slept in mine down to 0 and been perfectly warm.

Is there a continuous zipper on the Sequia? In the description it states you can lay your feet flat out.. yet I can’t find any pictures online.

2nd for the WM Sequioa

I started with mummy's found that I could not handle the restricted movement. Moved to a quilt after I tried a couple manufacturers including Katabatic who supposedly has the best attachment system and design to combat drafts. Still found i was too active of a sleeper to keep out drafts. Moved to a Sequioa WM last year for a November rifle hunt and it was the best I have ever slept in the backcountry. Worth the extra 6oz weight penalty. Looking at buying a Sycamore to round out my system.

And yes you can open the bag completely. Technically it is 2 zippers one on the side one at the foot. Really helps with ventilation if you get too warm.

Attachments

• 20220628_134322.jpg
    20220628_134322.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 20220628_134450.jpg
    20220628_134450.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 41
What's the issue with the bag moving with you? You roll to your side and the bag rolls too. So? It still keeps you warm right?