Zero degree sleeping bag

The never summer is 600 fill (older gen) to 650 fill for newer gen. You are very unlikely to find an 800+ fill 0 bag from a reputable manufacturer for under $350.

Only you can define how much $ is too much to spend, and then live with the weight/compressibility trade off that inevitably comes without spending $$$. Add on that a true W’s 0 will weigh more than a men’s, and reconsidering the necessity of a 0 comes into play.

The Mountain Hardwear Rook 0 (and Ws equivalent) is kinda hard to beat for that balance of budget vs performance. MH makes some of the lightest synthetics as well. That’s the route I would go for a 0 because it is a niche piece I would rarely use.

Berger024

WKR
Mountain Hardwear also makes good bags if you go into their upper tier. Which is where the down 0 deg+ bags are found. I have a -15 and it has served me well for 15 years and still has the DWR and looks like new.

I got me a hyke and bike 0 too. I forget which model. Night and day difference from my 2009 rei polar pod 0.

When in doubt, wear a fleece hat at night and cocoon. Works for me.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
I need a zero bag as well. I just ordered two bags to try out this winter. A Nemo stalker and WM Kodak MF. Going to give them both after nights this November and December and see which I like better..

HuntNTag

WKR
I know it’s pricey but worth every penny. The 0 degree kuiu down sleeping bags are fantastic.

I’ve had that out in the backcountry in 0 degree weather and I’m happy and as warm as could be. I’ve also had it wet and that waterproof down is legit. I’d highly recommend it from my point of view. Also, I never feel like I’m missing out wondering how I’d be in another bag.

I’ve had many bags and I just pack that everywhere now. I’d rather be hot than cold no matter where I’m at.

I only take a 40+ degree bag if I’m camping out with the kids in the summer, otherwise the kuiu bag is ready to roll.

Women's Phantom 0 on EBay ending today...looks fantastic and the price is currently fantastic

I know it’s pricey but worth every penny. The 0 degree kuiu down sleeping bags are fantastic.

I’ve had that out in the backcountry in 0 degree weather and I’m happy and as warm as could be. I’ve also had it wet and that waterproof down is legit. I’d highly recommend it from my point of view. Also, I never feel like I’m missing out wondering how I’d be in another bag.

I’ve had many bags and I just pack that everywhere now. I’d rather be hot than cold no matter where I’m at.

I only take a 40+ degree bag if I’m camping out with the kids in the summer, otherwise the kuiu bag is ready to roll.

Kuiu is temporarily out of the sleeping bag business. Not even a section on their website for sleeping bags anymore. For their prices you can buy the best there is, Western Mountaineering, and it will be Made In USA, all the way.

HuntNTag

WKR
Kuiu is temporarily out of the sleeping bag business. Not even a section on their website for sleeping bags anymore. For their prices you can buy the best there is, Western Mountaineering, and it will be Made In USA, all the way.

Good call! I had no clue they weren’t available. I bought mine a few years back. Agree on western mountaineering being a great option of high quality.

Good call! I had no clue they weren’t available. I bought mine a few years back. Agree on western mountaineering being a great option of high quality.

The real kicker is it’s damn near the same price and made in USA vs. Kuiu’s imported stuff. I can’t see paying the premium kuiu and others want for the imported bags they sell when you can buy made in USA at the same cost.

HuntNTag

WKR
The real kicker is it’s damn near the same price and made in USA vs. Kuiu’s imported stuff. I can’t see paying the premium kuiu and others want for the imported bags they sell when you can buy made in USA at the same cost.

Ya, I got mine a few years ago for Black Friday. They sold out within minutes because they were 30+% off. I have a rule about not buying anything at full price and that was a big purchase as is. Happy with mine but I feel the USA piece for sure as mentioned.

Yes, this is a huge pet peeve of mine. If you are manufacturing overseas and not saving me lots of money over someone manufacturing in the USA, then you are overcharging me and making obscene profits, or doing a horrible job on cost management. For all high end hunting/camping products I buy USA made if possible. And one driver, beyond being able to afford a moral stand on this, is that I think it's sort of a rip off to charge me USA prices for Asian labor.

JCohHTX

FNG
I bought on Outdoor Vitals for this year. Haven't used it yet so can't comment on warmth. Just throwing it out there as an affordable option that has good reviews.

tacsled

FNG
The Stone Glacier 0 degree has worked really well for me. If carrying a bag on your back, the higher cost pays for itself after a couple miles hauling it in a foot of snow.