Zero Drop Hunting Boot

Any other suggestions for colder/snowy conditions options other than the Rocky SV2? SV2’s don’t have the best reviews.

gustafsj

Lil-Rokslider
Can we get some updates from those that ran the Altra Lonepeak 4 Mid RSM's this season?

I’ve had really good luck so far with the RSM’s. Don’t have a ton of miles yet, so can’t speak for durability. One 4-day hunting trip and occasional hiking and walking around the homestead. So far am impressed with waterproofness and breathability. Had some water go over the tops of the shoes on the trip and they did dry out pretty fast which was nice too. Very comfortable shoe/boot!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Titan_Bow

WKR
Any other suggestions for colder/snowy conditions options other than the Rocky SV2? SV2’s don’t have the best reviews.

I have been using the Made in the USA insulated version for 3 or 4 years now, and they've never let me down. Still waterproof after many a long day trudging through the snow, and they fit like a glove for me. I would definitely buy them again, no regrets. They are on the heavy side, considering I wear Merrell Trail Gloves or vivo barefoots as daily footwear though.

gustafsj

Lil-Rokslider
Another thing that I use in below freezing weather is Steger Mukluks. They are basically a moccasin and certainly zero drop. I have a couple pair that I use depending on temperature, but will easily take me down to well below zero if needed. Maybe not a mountain boot, but works great for flatlanders like me.

I have been using the Made in the USA insulated version for 3 or 4 years now, and they've never let me down. Still waterproof after many a long day trudging through the snow, and they fit like a glove for me. I would definitely buy them again, no regrets. They are on the heavy side, considering I wear Merrell Trail Gloves or vivo barefoots as daily footwear though.

Do you have the 400 insulation with goretex? I normally run no insulation which it looks like they make. Pretty heavy at 4lbs for the pair.

Titan_Bow

WKR
Do you have the 400 insulation with goretex? I normally run no insulation which it looks like they make. Pretty heavy at 4lbs for the pair.

Mine are the goretex insulated. For me, they fill the niche of really cold ventures; ice fishing, rabbit hunting, snow shoeing, late season deer or elk tags. I’m not walking near as far as I would earlier in the year, but I’ve put lots of miles on them in a day with no problem. Again, they are heavy and I certainly wouldn’t want to wear them on a September elk hunt, but for trudging through the snow or spending all day in sub freezing temps, they are nice

sneaky

"DADDY"
Can we get some updates from those that ran the Altra Lonepeak 4 Mid RSM's this season?
The RSMs weren't out in time for this past season, unless guys ran them for late season stuff

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
The neo shells were out, but I only have those in the lows, have the mesh lone peak mids

Titan_Bow

WKR
Just got a pair of the Lone Peak Nio Mids on Camofire. Am curious to see how they do

Titan_Bow

WKR
I’ve been wearing the Nio Mids around town and work. They are comfortable but I do miss the ground feel that I get in Merrell trail gloves or vivobarefoots. I’m going to give them a fair shake this summer on high country fishing trips and make up my mind

Imcolej

FNG
I bought the RSM’s specifically for my late season elk hunt this past season. After maybe 20 miles total they have a hole clear through the membrane and look destroyed. As with the earlier “waterproof” version of the mids, they let me down fairly quickly on the hunt and were not waterproof. Luckily I was hunting out of a camp and not in the backcountry.

As much as I love the comfort of the altra’s and have found nothing better for my foot issues, they are very much lacking in the durability department.

For trail use they are great, but for full on western big game hunting in cold weather, they didn’t work out for me unfortunately.

Last edited:
I was hoping the Altra Tusher would be available this summer but I just spoke to customer service at Altra and they will not be available until around January. This contradicts what I have read in most of the pre-reviews which were saying it would be available this summer. FYI

ledflight

WKR
Happy to hear about the Tusher. Am an Altra devotee out of comfort. Have rocked lone peaks low and mid for hikes, hunts and daily wear. Need more zero drop foot shaped shoes that aren't completely minimalist.

BHilton

FNG
Been a while hoping to open this discussion back up. Did anyone try the Tusher boot? I like altra shoes but durability has been an issue for me.

I would encourage those who are interested to try low stack height low/zero drop shoes before you automatically write them off. I was on a goat hunt a couple weeks ago and used my Solomon speedcross 4’s (non gtx). We did quite a bit of distance, lots of vertical and a LOT of sidehilling and bushwhacking. My hunting buddy is old school through and through and couldn’t believe I was running “sneakers” for this trip. We kept tabs on how our feet were feeling, traction and a general feeling of nimble ness. There was no point at which I felt at a disadvantage and even my buddy noted that I seemed to get through rough country easier than he did because I could feel what was going on and that I wasn’t standing so separated from the ground with a thick boot. It was wet, snow and rain. Both of us had wet feet so that wasn’t a concern. I would really encourage guys that your footwear should work for you not against you.
[/QUOTE

Solomon Speedcross have a tall stack height at 10-11 cm. But all the same going to trail runners from boots what a big revelation to me as well.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Been a while hoping to open this discussion back up. Did anyone try the Tusher boot? I like altra shoes but durability has been an issue for me.
They're comfortable, but on par with Quest 4Ds as far as waterproofing. If it's wet, or going to get wet, I wear real boots.