Zero Drop Hunting Boot

Titan_Bow

WKR
I'm really torn on whether to get those Xero Shoes. I have a pair of their sandals that I have worn for 2 summers and I love them. However, I did buy their previous hiking shoe a couple year ago, the non-waterproof one, and they were just not durable at all. A couple elk hunts in them, and they were torn to pieces.
For me, I ended up going with military boots. For warmer weather stuff, I've been running Belleville TR105 Mini-Mil boots. They are only a 2mm heel-toe drop. They are incredibly lightweight, and have the same vibram sole as Merrel Trail Gloves. You can basically roll them into a ball they are so flexible and light. That said, they are not perfect. They've got a weird piece in the "cup" of the heel that takes some getting used to. Its never caused me blisters or anything, but definitely I feel its there and wish it wasnt. Still comfortable, just a slight annoyance I guess. Second thing, they are not waterproof at all. The idea with them, if you get them wet, you are just going to have to walk them dry. That works fine in Colorado or other dry environments where I hunt mostly. Would not work well if you were walking into a treestand setup in chilly and wet climates...
https://tacticalgear.com/tactical-research-tr105-mini-mil-coyote-brown

For cold weather, late deer hunts, etc. I have a pair of Rocky SV2 Insulated boots. I have a love-hate relationship with these boots. They are close to a zero drop heel to toe at 6mm. They are very comfortable, warm, waterproof, Made in the USA. Howver, they are HEAVY!! My pair in size 12 wide weighs about 2lbs per boot. Really makes for fatigued legs and feet after a long day of walking in them. I am thinking about switching up to some mukluks this winter and trying those instead, however, I have years of life left in my Rockys, lol

https://www.patriotoutfitters.com/r...zIYB30_16Nl2xmGxq2StRM4Bzn3KxFI0aAkIfEALw_wcB

BHilton

FNG
Have any of y’all found a flat shoe insert that works?
Last trip out west I wore lowa renegade boots. As with most shoes I find the insert adds a couple of millimeters of heel. They did ok since nothing was flat.
I wear Altras or Astrals most of the time and have wore zero drop shoes for over 7-8 years now. So any type of heel is noticeable.

Looking for all options.

Titan_Bow

WKR
Have any of y’all found a flat shoe insert that works?
Last trip out west I wore lowa renegade boots. As with most shoes I find the insert adds a couple of millimeters of heel. They did ok since nothing was flat.
I wear Altras or Astrals most of the time and have wore zero drop shoes for over 7-8 years now. So any type of heel is noticeable.

Looking for all options.

I do not quite understand what you are looking for here. For most of my minimalist footwear, they don’t have insoles or they just have a very thin flat insole that is not noticeable and does t serve any function other than protecting the internal stitching of the shoe.
What are you looking for an insert or insole to provide in a zero drop or near zero drop shoe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BHilton

FNG
I do not quite understand what you are looking for here. For most of my minimalist footwear, they don’t have insoles or they just have a very thin flat insole that is not noticeable and does t serve any function other than protecting the internal stitching of the shoe.
What are you looking for an insert or insole to provide in a zero drop or near zero drop shoe?

Sorry, should have stated it better. I am looking for both minimal footwear to possibly replace my boots and if possible to trade the insoles in my current boots to the flattest possible.

gustafsj

Lil-Rokslider
I’m still liking my Altra Lone Peaks for hiking shoes/boots. I have multiple pair in waterproof and regular. I don’t think they are worth paying full price for as they do wear out way faster than traditional boots. Look for sales or the returns section at REI. Check out Vivobarefoot.com for insoles. They have a cork version and a Thermal for cold weather.

I was looking at getting a pair of Mini-Mils for my next but then I saw Vivobarefoot has a new, more rugged version of the Tracker boot https://www.vivobarefoot.com/us/tracker-forest-esc-mens

Any thoughts? I don't have any experience with the original Tracker but this looks more of what I'm looking for in terms of better weather protection & traction
Those look great, I had a pair of vivo chukkar style boots and they were great and surprisingly rugged. I like the leather approach over xero synthetic style fabric.

Titan_Bow

WKR
Those updated vivo's look good. I may seriously consider those for sure. I have been contemplating just ponying up the money for a pair of Russell moccassins too. I initially shied away from the vivos because there were a lot of bad customer reviews of the original ones.

Ronnok

FNG
Those updated vivo's look good. I may seriously consider those for sure. I have been contemplating just ponying up the money for a pair of Russell moccassins too. I initially shied away from the vivos because there were a lot of bad customer reviews of the original ones.
Yeah same here, I've always been hesitant of the originals but these might be worth extra few bucks over the Mini-Mils. Unfortunately Russells are way out of my price range but maybe one day!

I've had my original Vivo FG Trackers since early 2019, they are starting to peel now but they have been phenomenal. Wear them every day for everything under the sun, absolutely love them, by far my favorite footwear that aren't rubber or cowboy boots.

I have a new pair of the Forest ESC Trackers on the way. My three complaints with the original were lack of stitching to secure the sole to the boot (causing peeling over time), that they were not breathable (feet could get real sweaty on the move in the summer), and that they were slippery on wet rocks (non-aggressive and non-sticky tread on the FG's).

The new Trackers address all of those issues, I am quite excited to receive them!

I currently own 2 pairs of the older vivo tracker fg, but they have been collecting dust since i got my russel moccasin minimalist thula thulas. I told myself i would try to limit wearing them to hunting and not do construction in them, but im a liar i guess cause i havent worn anything else since i got the russels lol. I just ordered a pair of the new vivo tracker forest escapes for my wife, they look much better than the ones i have. The stitching holding the sole to the leather should help with the issue i had with the sole peeling but we will see. They should be fine for my wife. I have little faith in them holding up to real abuse due to my experiences and having my trackers replaced by them several times for free. Luckily they have great service and will replace your boots if they leak but it really gets old after multiple times. Im guessing the UK granolas that designed them havent hunted in mountains for weeks at a time off trail

People seem to think the russels are expensive but they really arent that bad when you compare them to a pair of krispi's or other boots guys wear hunting. Or when the other option is buying $100-200 hiking shoes or boots every year or 2. Mine were about $450 with a first time buyer coupon. The biggest issue i had keeping me from ordering for a while was not the price but the 3 month lead time since they're custom and hand made. Really happy with them, fit like a glove when i got them with no break in at all and should last me years, although YMMV since i wear mine daily

Voyageur

WKR
I’m still liking my Altra Lone Peaks for hiking shoes/boots. I have multiple pair in waterproof and regular. I don’t think they are worth paying full price for as they do wear out way faster than traditional boots. Look for sales or the returns section at REI. Check out Vivobarefoot.com for insoles. They have a cork version and a Thermal for cold weather.

@three5x5s ...I replied to but forgot to mention you and your sizing question in this post:
I've worn Lone Peaks for a long time now...ever since they first came out. I tried one pair of the eVent all weather models when they first came out and they leaked within 30 seconds of being exposed to wet conditions so I went back to my basic model Lone Peaks. I will mention that Altra refunded my money on the eVent model.
I'm curious what your experience has been with the eVent models? Have they improved them? I see they now advertise them as weather resistant rather than waterproof.
Thanks.

Last edited:
I currently own 2 pairs of the older vivo tracker fg, but they have been collecting dust since i got my russel moccasin minimalist thula thulas.

I have little faith in them holding up to real abuse due to my experiences and having my trackers replaced by them several times for free.

Interesting, I have had the exact opposite experience with my FG Trackers, they have been absolute tanks.

I wear them for yardwork, construction, archery hunting, you name it, not a single thing has even seemed to scuff them let alone damage them. Except for the non-stitched sole starting to peel now after 2+ years of daily use.

Interesting, I have had the exact opposite experience with my FG Trackers, they have been absolute tanks.

I wear them for yardwork, construction, archery hunting, you name it, not a single thing has even seemed to scuff them let alone damage them. Except for the non-stitched sole starting to peel now after 2+ years of daily use.
Ive had 4 pairs leak really bad and sole started peeling quickly and one of them an eyelet ripped off the first time i laced them up lol. They hold up fine for daily wear, light hiking/hunting and construction. Everytime i hunt for a week or more in bad weather they leaked tho. I can literally dunk my foot in water with my russels and stay dry tho

Ive had 4 pairs leak really bad and sole started peeling quickly and one of them an eyelet ripped off the first time i laced them up lol.
I must have gotten a lucky Lemon!

Can you send a pic of your Thula Thula's? I looked at having Russell build me a taller minimalist boot with their Munson last (if i remember the name right) and eventually decided the $550 price tag was too much.

Voyageur

WKR
Do the Altra Lone Peaks run true to size?? Do you get your tennis shoe size or your hunting boot size?
Good question. I'm not sure how to answer that. In my experience many of the newer shoe companies are sized different than older established brands. For example, my Russell boots are size 10.5 which they say is based off older original sized shoe lasts. With my Lone Peaks I wear a size 12. That has varied over the years and has been as big as size 13. It seems to change sometimes with new generations. I usually order 2 or three different sizes and send back the ones that don't fit.
In other makes of boots/shoes I sometimes wear a size 11 or 11.5 and as stated before I always order more than one size and keep the one that fits best.
Hope this helps.

three5x5s

WKR
I ware a size men's 7.5 in most tennis shoes, that means I'm ordering it. Most shoe stores start their men's at size 8. Boots a size 39.5 or 40 euro or mens 7.