Zero Drop Hunting Boot

I must have gotten a lucky Lemon!

Can you send a pic of your Thula Thula's? I looked at having Russell build me a taller minimalist boot with their Munson last (if i remember the name right) and eventually decided the $550 price tag was too much.

Depending on your options they will cost more than mine. I'm considering getting another pair, taller with the thinsulate insulation and toe cap and sierra sole for the snow since the ones i have are just triple vamp raw waterproof leather. At least they keep all the measurements and tracing of your foot they make you send em for like 10 years so now i can just order a pair and skip that part. I know they're spendy and they're not for everyone, but im super rough on all my stuff and have been very impressed with them so i wanted to throw it out there as an alternative. Theres not a ton of reviews of them on here and i was also hesitant to order them for several months but im glad i did. Here is what they look like after 8 months of daily wear. First pic they're covered in concrete dust from yesterday, 2nd pic is after wiping them with a rag, third is with some obenaufs applied. I really need to use some saddle soap on them but all ive done is occasionally wipe them off and apply obenaufs so far lol

Attachments

• 20210507_073326.jpg
    20210507_073326.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 69
  • 20210507_074417.jpg
    20210507_074417.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 66
  • 20210507_080137.jpg
    20210507_080137.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 67
I would also like to add that i live in western Oregon and i work on the river so waterproofness is an absolute must for me. Last year in hells canyon for spring bear i was busting brush in the dark after heavy rain, for about 8 miles to get back to my tipi. I literally had to stop and wring out my vivo tracker boots, insoles and socks every 30 mins or so cause they were leaking so bad. It was miserable and my feet were approaching a trench foot situation. Soon as i got home i ordered the russels lol

Titan_Bow

WKR
I really like those Russells. Whats the weight on them if you dont mind? Also, how flexible is the sole?

I really like those Russells. Whats the weight on them if you dont mind? Also, how flexible is the sole?
When I talked to Russell ~a year ago and asked about the Thula Thula I believe they told me that the PAIR was 1.5 pounds total?

They are not quite that light thats more like per boot but im sure it depends on your configuration and size. Mine are the weathertuff leather triple vamp, plus i trimmed and put a thin set of the vivo insoles in them so that adds a little weight. My vivos are size 10 for reference and weigh 2lb 4 oz, the russels weigh 2lb 15.5oz and are a tiny bit stiffer but still flex easily

Attachments

• 20210507_090959.jpg
    20210507_090959.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 20210507_091032.jpg
    20210507_091032.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 20210507_091111.jpg
    20210507_091111.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 54

Titan_Bow

WKR
They are not quite that light thats more like per boot but im sure it depends on your configuration and size. Mine are the weathertuff leather triple vamp, plus i trimmed and put a thin set of the vivo insoles in them so that adds a little weight. My vivos are size 10 for reference and weigh 2lb 4 oz, the russels weigh 2lb 15.5oz and are a tiny bit stiffer but still flex easily

Thanks, that was exactly what I was looking for!

gustafsj

Lil-Rokslider
@three5x5s ...I replied to but forgot to mention you and your sizing question in this post:
I've worn Lone Peaks for a long time now...ever since they first came out. I tried one pair of the eVent all weather models when they first came out and they leaked within 30 seconds of being exposed to wet conditions so I went back to my basic model Lone Peaks. I will mention that Altra refunded my money on the eVent model.
I'm curious what your experience has been with the eVent models? Have they improved them? I see they now advertise them as weather resistant rather than waterproof.
Thanks.

I would agree with them being more water resistant than waterproof. I too sent my original eVent Altras back, and I’ve since purchased a couple pair of the newer ones which do seem better. If worn with a good gaiter it seems to help quite a bit. I generally have had the mindset that my feet are going to get wet no matter what I do, So I never have put a lot of trust in waterproof shoes. The only shoes I have where I put any value in the waterproofing are my muck boots. I would say my Altra’s are OK for walking through wet grass, light rain, but I would not trust them wading shallow streams or heavy rain. They do work well in snow and keeping that moisture out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great stuff, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a pair of the new Vivos based on all the feedback, I especially like the stitched soles.

Just to circle back to the Xero's for later reference, they've been similar responsive to warranty concerns. I had a pair of their prio's that I wore for everything, I beat the snot out of them and eventually the soles started to separate. They were still within the two year warranty period and were happy to send a new pair out right away.

Muddygut

FNG
Since this discussion Xero has also released some new boots.

https://xeroshoes.com/shop/boots/xcursion-men/

I wear xeros daily and they've held up well, but I haven't picked up their boots to try yet. Innov8 has some nice hikers that are close to zero drop, but not quite. There was a pretty favorable Rokslide review a couple months back.
I have a pair of the Terraflex lowtop and the original Excursion hiker, less than a year and the excursion leak bad, Good for kicking around in the woods hunting squirrel, turkey ect. as long as you don't have to climb any steep, muddy ground. The tread just isn't aggressive enough, and you'll end up on your hands and knees (or your ass). Have a pair of their Alpine snow boots too. Comfortable and warm but no traction. And like the fellow below mentioned they wear out fast. I love them for casual everyday wear but they aren't up to the task of serious hunting.

I've had my original Vivo FG Trackers since early 2019, they are starting to peel now but they have been phenomenal. Wear them every day for everything under the sun, absolutely love them, by far my favorite footwear that aren't rubber or cowboy boots.

I have a new pair of the Forest ESC Trackers on the way. My three complaints with the original were lack of stitching to secure the sole to the boot (causing peeling over time), that they were not breathable (feet could get real sweaty on the move in the summer), and that they were slippery on wet rocks (non-aggressive and non-sticky tread on the FG's).

The new Trackers address all of those issues, I am quite excited to receive them!
I see you posted a few times about zero drop, minimalist type boots. I am battling a morton's neuroma and having a tough time finding boots that don't light up my toes. Was hoping you could provide an update on the trackers as you had the ESC on the way. What are your thoughts on Altras or Xero boots? I've also considered trying the Belleville Mini-mil; also considering the Belleville C793. Even before the neuroma, I typically backpacked in trail runners didn't wear anything stiffer than an Asolo Fugitive. Be great to hear if you have any other recommendations of boot to consider. I will primarily be hunting Archery elk in North Idaho and Eastern Oregon. Thanks in advance.

Rokwiia

WKR
The closet thing is the Inov-8 Roclite 325 GTX.

I've used INOV-8s since they started distributing in the US. The INOV-8 325 GTX, which I've used, had an 8mm drop. I've owned 6 or 7 models including some of their zero-drop shoes.

The zero drop are fantastic on both flat terrain and scrambling up a mountain with little or no weight. I would not want to have zero-drop footwear with a heavy load.

For those who do wish to try, I'd suggest getting the X-Talon 212 and try hiking with them with a moderate load. It will provide you with the experience of a zero-drop shoe.

Below are two of my INOVs...the X-Talon 260 and Roclite 400 GTX. Both have an 8mm drop.

Attachments

• Trail runners and boots.jpg
    Trail runners and boots.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 62

ledflight

WKR
All my shoes are zero drop. I don't see any need for a heel drop. Support? depends! Cushioning, a little, but why a heel?

I have some OTZ, a defunct brand, that had some nice wide boxed flat designs but with a supportive insole. Remove it and you've a more minimalist one (or replace it with a wooly insole for a warmth upgrade).

Titan_Bow

WKR
I’ve been using a pair of Lem’s Boulder boots this year, the all leather ones. So far they have been pretty good but I’m concerned they won’t last more than a a couple seasons. Elk hunting this year really seemed to beat them up pretty good lol. My only complaint with them is that the soles can get get pretty slippery in wet conditions. I was in Nebraska this weekend and climbing up out of a steep grass covered ravine in late morning after the frost melted. Going up that laid down wet grass I could not get any traction at all and ended up having to crawl to get out LOL. I’m dry conditions however I haven’t had an issue with them

Heads up on the vivobarefoots, I just ordered a couple and used their fancy app to find the right size. It was wrong, badly. Looks to be at least two sizes too big, which is frustrating since the number it came up with is the European size I normally use. Now they have to ship back to the Netherlands or something... anyways, next time around I would order a couple sizes and just send the wrong ones back.

I see you posted a few times about zero drop, minimalist type boots. I am battling a morton's neuroma and having a tough time finding boots that don't light up my toes. Was hoping you could provide an update on the trackers as you had the ESC on the way. What are your thoughts on Altras or Xero boots? I've also considered trying the Belleville Mini-mil; also considering the Belleville C793. Even before the neuroma, I typically backpacked in trail runners didn't wear anything stiffer than an Asolo Fugitive. Be great to hear if you have any other recommendations of boot to consider. I will primarily be hunting Archery elk in North Idaho and Eastern Oregon. Thanks in advance.

Well, the good ol' USPS lost the package and they're now out of my size so, nothing to report yet on the ESC's.

I run in Altra's on pavement, they're alright, more cushioned than I'd like but no real complaints. I don't like their boots, solely because I'm not a short boot top guy. Have not tried Xero.

Russell Moccasin Thula Thula is another option to consider, or have them build you a custom zero drop boot.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I’ve seriously thought about taking the plunge on a pair of Russells, but I have read a really bad review here and a couple other places. Not sure if it was the same guy just had a one off bad experience or something more.
My Lems have been really comfortable and seem to be doing well, but I am hard on boots as is the terrain I do most of my hunting in. I hate the fact that the soles are not stitched on in any way. I just fear after a couple hard seasons they will begin separating. I got them on sale, I think I paid right at 100 bucks for them though.

I’ve seriously thought about taking the plunge on a pair of Russells, but I have read a really bad review here and a couple other places. Not sure if it was the same guy just had a one off bad experience or something more.
My Lems have been really comfortable and seem to be doing well, but I am hard on boots as is the terrain I do most of my hunting in. I hate the fact that the soles are not stitched on in any way. I just fear after a couple hard seasons they will begin separating. I got them on sale, I think I paid right at 100 bucks for them though.

My friend has those lems and ive been tempted to get some a few times but they just dont look very tough or waterproof and the soles didnt look great for traction which you confirm. The bad russel reviews i saw when i searched were for snake boots not being waterproof(not sure if those are even marketed as waterproof, they told me only the weathertuff leather is) and some stalking shoes falling apart, but maybe others have just had a bad experience and i didn't see them. Either way, that sucks cause they are spendy and have quite the lead time usually. I sliced mine a bit doing metal roofing and had to have a stitch touched up locally later on while getting new soles cause it worked loose. I only had to resole cause i walk funny and the outside corners wore down on the heels, ive been trying to walk flatter since. I also ended up sending them in after about 8 months to have russel add a heel counter pocket to tighten up the heel after i had some slippage rucking with heavy weight on sidehills. Maybe the leather relaxed a bit over time idk, at least they got them back to me within 2 weeks even tho their main guy broke his back, just in time for elk season. I got mine in the triple vamp in their weathertuff leather and mine are still very waterproof 14 months later, i wear them just about everyday and it rains alot here so i do have to use the obenaufs products on them occasionally. Im super rough on stuff and after this hunting season i have one more small stitch that i ripped on a rock or something thats worked loose, i noticed while pressure washing recently that water got in through there but i don't blame the boots for that. I still love mine and i ordered another pair a bit ago for winter since my thula thulas have no insulation, this time i got the minimalist country squire signature south 40 birdshooters(longest name ever haha) with insulation and a toe cap and weathertuff leather, also told them to make the heel a bit tighter this time. Should be getting them around the end of the year, cant wait. My advice to anyone ordering some for the first time would be to make sure your foot isnt swollen for any reason(dont measure after sitting for a long period of time withoutwalking around a while after), that you're wearing the socks you'll normally wear while measuring and that you double check those foot measurements you take for them very carefully

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
In the beginning of this thread I wrote that I was looking for an all leather minimal boot with good traction. I’ve been wearing the Vivobarefoot Tracker Forest Esc’s this year. I’m between 45-50 days in them in the Rocky Mountain west. Mostly mountains and badlands. From single digit temps to well over 100°. Rocks, shale, snow, mud, sand. With up to and over 100lb packs.

2A73726D-09EA-42BC-B8E2-1B99FAC9EF20.jpeg
86F87FFD-2C4B-4C6D-9995-58A7125D05DB.jpeg
Being that I’ve only seen and used one pair for a relatively short time period, I’m not making any suggestion. However, this is the first pair of shoes I’ve worn hunting the mountains where my feet have been totally dry. Every other pair, whether from leaking or being wet from sweat, my feet remain soaked. The tread is excellent. The fit is good. No durability issues so far.