Zero Drop Hunting Boot

sndmn11

WKR
I'm ignorant, do you wear socks with something like the vivo one posted above? I hate shoes. The most comfortable thing I've had on my feet for athletic stuff were paird of brooks mach running flats that I wore for gym, hills hunting, arrest control/ground fighting, on and off road runs. Basically low cut wrestling shoes and they rocked but they stopped making them. I didn't wear socks with those.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I'm ignorant, do you wear socks with something like the vivo one posted above? I hate shoes. The most comfortable thing I've had on my feet for athletic stuff were paird of brooks mach running flats that I wore for gym, hills hunting, arrest control/ground fighting, on and off road runs. Basically low cut wrestling shoes and they rocked but they stopped making them. I didn't wear socks with those.

I wear minimalist footwear from Lems, Vivobarefoot, Merrell, etc. With all of them, I wear socks no different than you would with other shoes or boots. I do like the Injinji toe socks though. Merrell Trail Gloves are basically the same as running flats I would think.

pattimusprime22

Lil-Rokslider
To me one of the big benefits of barefoot style shoes is that they allow my toes to spread out. If I wear regular socks it seems like it constricts my toes, so I wear mostly injinji socks.

ledflight

WKR
Great thread. Anyone have recommendations for zero drop, foot shaped but maybe a little more boot than a Lone Peak? I had a pair of Otz that were like this but didn't fit quite right. I thought it could have been the Tushar but reviews of that weren't good.

BBob

WKR
who else has tried the forest esc?
One page back I stated I have the Magna Forest ESC. I think formidilosis said he was wearing the Tracker which I believe is basically the same shoe just taller and without the stretchy cuff.

Last edited:

MattB

WKR
Figuring it is wishful thinking to ask for a zero drop with a sole with hard edges? Even my Salomon Quests don't have a stiff enough sole to keep from slipping where I hunt here in CA. I needed to go to a Crispi Thor to have a sole that would grip adequately, but I understand that having a stiff sole with a raised heel and zero drop are mutually exclusive.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I feel like the michelin sole of the new Vivobarefoot is going to give adequate traction. Its got that "gummy" feel that usually tends to stick to rock pretty well. I elk hunted last year in LEMs Boulder boots, and there were several times I slipped and damn near broke something. Those things proved to just be downright dangerous once you get off trail. For me, I want as little "boot" on my feet as I can get away with. I really want just enough protection that I dont have to tenderfoot walk everywhere, but I welcome feeling the ground. I've carried some really heavy loads in low top Merrell Trail Gloves, over really harsh country. It really is all about what you become accustomed to. I realize that is not for everyone, or really anyone other than what I like in footwear though.

Bbell12

WKR
Just ordered a pair of the Tracker Forest ESC boots and was wondering for those who have worn them in snow/wet climates, how do you attach a gaiter to them without a heel? It seems that without a heel, the gaiter strap would just get hung on things and/or slip off.

sndmn11

WKR
Just ordered a pair of the Tracker Forest ESC boots and was wondering for those who have worn them in snow/wet climates, how do you attach a gaiter to them without a heel? It seems that without a heel, the gaiter strap would just get hung on things and/or slip off.

I wondered the same thing

I've emailed every customer boot maker I become aware of asking if the could make me a pair of custom boots to natural biomechanics principles.
I explain the ins and outs of it

So far they all either don't respond, or decline.
Perhaps if they got more requests they might look into investing the time into it.

Making Merrell trail gloves and vivobarefoot boots the best options I know of.

At some point I'm going to try to resole a pair of vivobarefoot boots using a tire for a sole.
It might work.

Titan_Bow

WKR

I have Kuiu gators and never had an issue with them with minimalist footwear. You get the strap kind of snug so there’s no play or slop in it, and I’ve never had an issue with it slipping or getting hung on anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBob

WKR
Are they kick ass?
🤣 Ha! Kick ass? Yeah mby 😀 I’ve been wearing the much simpler Gobi quite a bit for about a year give or take and the MF ESC all around is a better boot for out in the field. Thicker upper for a bit more cactus protection and much more traction that’s pretty sticky. The cuff seems to be working fairly well keeping most of the crap out.

As to the gaiter question. I’ve never had issues on any flat soled boot with gaiters. I haven’t tried them with the ESC sole but I’ll bet they don’t move a bit with the heavy lugs. Eventually the strap under the boot might have to be replaced but they last way longer than you might think even in rocky country.

Hard edges wouldn’t be a helpful thing on boots like these or mby not even usable. Soft shoes require a different technique to getting around in steep and slippery conditions.

Last edited:

MattB

WKR
Hard edges wouldn’t be a helpful thing on boots like these or mby not even usable. Soft shoes require a different technique to getting around in steep and slippery conditions.
Thanks for the response and that is what I figured. It isn’t about technique unfortunately, it is just physics. Hard to explain but like I said above even light hikers with a softer sole like the Salomons don’t work because the sole is too soft and they slip. They worked fine for me everywhere else I used them.

sndmn11

WKR
🤣 Ha! Kick ass? Yeah mby 😀 I’ve been wearing the much simpler Gobi quite a bit for about a year give or take and the MF ESC all around is a better boot for out in the field. Thicker upper for a bit more cactus protection and much more traction that’s pretty sticky. The cuff seems to be working fairly well keeping most of the crap out.

As to the gaiter question. I’ve never had issues on any flat soled boot with gaiters. I haven’t tried them with the ESC sole but I’ll bet they don’t move a bit with the heavy lugs. Eventually the strap under the boot might have to be replaced but they last way longer than you might think even in rocky country.

Well, I ordered some esc forest, I would have maybe ordered the magna but they were out. Hopefully it went through because it triggered my card security people to call me.

How long have people been seeing for delivery?