Zero pp wy antelope

manitou1

WKR
Hi folks.
Thinking about trying an antelope hunt around Ten Sleep, Sheridan or Buffalo areas due to familiarity with the road systems there. Rifle for the first try out there. I am from Missouri but willing to pay a trespass fee and/or apply for the special license. This will be a first time hunting, although I have spent quite a bit of time fly fishing and viewing wildlife in those areas during summers. Wife lived there as a child.
I am open for any suggestions. Have gotten to this point in years past but end up getting intimidated and giving the idea up. I am getting older and realize that I better start doing some of my bucket list hunts before it is too late! :)
I am not afraid to put some leather on the ground and walk several miles a day as I'm in pretty good shape for a 56 yo fart.
Not asking for anyone's hot spots, but general opinions or guidance to push me in the right direction. No need for a trophy, but would like a chance at a decent buck, given I do my part.
Open to any guidance, suggestions to "push me over the edge" and get my feet wet.
Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks...

I was just asking the same thing. I was looking at area 113.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
I researched extensively for a bout a year straight on trying to do it on 0 pp's and come to the conclusion that your better off buying points. at least as a non resident. I wouldnt have a problem with a 150 or up to a 300 dollar trespass fee but from all my research and a few phone calls your looking at more like 500-1000 bucks to hunt and i cant see that for a antelope, at least for me anyways

my advice is to start the preference point path and have some patience, but then again i havent stepped foot in wyoming either, so i may not be giving the best advice

There are several units that can be had with 0 preference points. Me amd my brother hunted area 21 two years in a row with 0 PP. Successful both years. Definitely need to do your research as far as where the access point is. Example, area 21 has some decent spots in the SE corner of the area. 113 has some in the middle west part, but will take some serious walking to get to it.

Keep in mind, these were not trophy antelope. The larger of the 2 animals that I took, I had mounted.

5bde9532f4c366e1d2cbd454b548c902.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Bryan B

FNG
With 0 PP the odds of drawing a buck tag right around Ten Sleep are slim to none even with the Special Tag. It might be possible but not probable.

In your situation I would put in for a regular tag around Sheridan or Buffalo and you should draw. IMO you don't need to put in for a special tag in those units. You could use the cost difference between the special and regular tags and put it toward a trespass fee. Public land in that area is definitely doable but you might have to work for a decent antelope. Paying a trespass fee would be good if you can find a place.

I would not hunt Unit 10, 102, or 109 unless you are hunting private as there is not a lot of public land in those units. The accessible public land in 15 is fairly limited too. If doing public I would recommend the SE part of 16 or the NE part of 22.

If you can do a trespass fee that is in the Sheridan or Buffalo areas that would probably be best, but again the public land hunt is doable it will likely take more effort.

I would recommend a doe tag or two also. Antelope hunting is addicting.

OP
manitou1

manitou1

WKR
Thanks for all the advice. I think I will finally get this done this year. Getting more pumped about is as time goes!

Medic77

Lil-Rokslider
New to the forum and reading your post. I've been wanting to do this hunt as well. Oh, and I'm from Mo. And I fly fish. Wink wink

AdamW

WKR
manitou did you end up applying for antelope? Another Missourian here with last minute antelope thoughts in my mind. :D

OP
manitou1

manitou1

WKR
Yes I did. Also applied for 2 doe tags. Very high % units, so I should be going West in Oct. :)

bobhunts

WKR
tugricercopper there are lots of ranches that allow access with just the landowner voucher that you put into there box before you enter. Your tag comes with the voucher ..at least it used to. Contact the local Fish and game office and they will give you a list of properties. I have not hunted there in about 5 or more years but the big Game regs used to have a list of ranches in them if I remember right.

OP
manitou1

manitou1

WKR
Yes, applied for separate doe tags. Then check the box that you do not want to get doe tags if not drawn for the buck tag, unless you are willing to pay for just doe tags and go without a buck tag in your pocket.