Zero turn mowers / hydrostatic transmissions

Looking to upgrade. Have wore out husqvarna 54 inch. Replaced one of the transmission units a couple years ago .I think hydrogear 2200. The other is failing. Pulled it of and changed oil. It's limping along (they're supposed to be a non- service part) . Anyway have a minimum 4 acres.hills.trees. looking at Gravely ZT HD 60 inch. Anyone have one or similar. Studying various mowers/ brands it looks like the hydrostatic transmission, engine , and mower deck is where the longevity comes from. Question - serviceable(fluid/filter change) transmission 3100 version and above. Have you had good longevity ? Kawasaki engines good results ? Looks like $6000- $9000 approx prices. (Obviously there are higher dollar machines). One other thing . Will probably add pull behind leaf vacuum for fall. Thanks. Would rather be fishing!

Bland316

Lil-Rokslider
I have a toro professional series I believe it is a 2000 series 60 inch deck. Thing has been a champ. Oil changes and a new fuel filter are the only issues I have ever had with it. It mows great and handles great. I have had it for probably 8 years now and it has been the best investment for me. I mow 5 acres with it.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

I have a toro and absolutely hate it. It’s not the professional series as described above. It’s terrible on banks and scalps the yard when turning. If the grass is even a little damp I don’t even think about mowing. I have to replace atleast one spindle every year, sometimes more. My next one will be a cub cadet with the steering wheel column.

LostArra

WKR
Scag Turf Tiger 60" deck. 22hp Kawasaki
Bought new in 1999

If looking today I would still go Scag but also check out Ferris due to their suspension if mowing terrain is bumpy

Thoff1989

Lil-Rokslider
I have a toro and absolutely hate it. It’s not the professional series as described above. It’s terrible on banks and scalps the yard when turning. If the grass is even a little damp I don’t even think about mowing. I have to replace atleast one spindle every year, sometimes more. My next one will be a cub cadet with the steering wheel column.
I have heard that the Cub Cadets will not last if you have any hills. A buddy's grandfather had one that only lasted a few years and he mows about an acre.

I needed a new machine after one of my drives was starting to wear out on my Toro Time Cutter Z5000 last year and looked around for a while, most of the dealers had the low end machines or high end commercials and not too much in between. I looked at Toro, Hustler, Bad Boy, Simplicity, etc. I ended up purchasing a used/rebuilt Exmark Lazer Z HP and its been good for the last month.

elkguide

WKR
I have a John Deere 2720 sub compact 32hp tractor with a 62" mower deck and I have a Hustler Super Z zero-turn lawnmower with a 60" deck. I mow almost exclusively with the Hustler.

What dealers do you have close by?
What do they have in inventory?
How good is their service department?

Whatever breed that you go with, since you're mowing more than a postage stamp for a lawn........
get a commercial grade mower!

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
I am in the hydraulics distribution business and am also a Hydro-Gear distributor. You are going to want to look for a hydro model that has a charge pump. That will give you more life for many reasons. Google the actual transmission PN and see if it is a more heavy duty charge pump model. A spin on filter will also aid in keeping the unit clean for long life. The sealed units degrade over time.
If you can find a split system with pumps and low speed motors on the wheels that can be a great option. Often these are Hydro-Gear BDP pumps with Parker or Danfoss wheel motors.
If you have specific questions PM me.
As stated above the commercial grade mowers usually have these features.

BLJ

WKR
I’ll echo what @elkguide said above. I’m mowing every day with a Kubota BX1850. I can not get a commercial grade stand on soon enough. For a lot of ground the subcompact tractors are slow. For sure.
I believe that the 3 manufactures I listed above all offer ZT or stand ons in the price range you listed.
Dealer location is a big deal too.

rtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
I've had the Toro Titan Max with a 60 inch deck for a few weeks so take this with a grain of salt. Very impressed so far. Everything seems to be well built. It is kind of in between residential and commercial. I probably needed commercial but my wallet didn't want me to.

roymunson

WKR
I have had my snapper pro 2000 for 5 years. its a 60" with the big 37 hp on it i believe.

Love the thing. I have hills and had to put more aggressive tires on it and fill with foam, but it's a bad boy.