Zeroing in on bugling bulls.

Am I the only one that can't seem to zero in on the location of a bugling bull? Good grief, I'll hear the bugle, and I know they are in a drainage say 160-200 acres large, but zeroing in on his exact location seems impossible in densely covered country. Especially if he only gives 1-3 bugles and doesn't bugle constantly.

Once im close, 200 years or so, no problem. And I don't have near this much problem with turkeys.

But in cut up country with heavy timber, trying to play wind and thermals and push close, 100 yds or so before calling again is tough when you can't locate them exactly.

Any tips or tricks to zero in on them better in these heavy cover/thick brush areas?

ElkNut1

WKR
Yes, very simple, setup & call them to you! Quit trying to locate exact position in dark timber like you're going to coyote in on them in more open quiet terrain, bring them to you; distance isn't a huge factor here when bringing them your way. I call most bulls in from aprox 100-200 yards away from where I THINK they are distance wise. Get the needed distance & coax them in according to their wants, not your wants! Not all bulls want cows!

ElkNut

OP
insanelupus
Paul, I'm just trying to get to that 200 yard and in distance.

The trouble ive had is when they bugle in a large drainage. I want to get to that 200 yards before I call again. Even when they bugle 1-2 times, it's tough to get from knowing he's inside of an area 800 yds square area to within 200 yds square.

Wandering around figuring it out as dry as we are equals a lot if noise, which frankly helps him bugle, but worse is dealing with wind and thermals no knowing where he is bedded while trying to figure it out.

800 yards square is close enough for really hot bulls by themselves. But cowed up bulls I seem to need closer to. And it gets real confusing in thick timber trying to figure it out.

ElkNut1

WKR
OK, allow me to simplify this for you! Here's what I'd do if I was faced with your situation.

"The trouble ive had is when they bugle in a large drainage. I want to get to that 200 yards before I call again. Even when they bugle 1-2 times, it's tough to get from knowing he's inside of an area 800 yds square area to within 200 yds square."
The 200 yards or closer is Ballpark phrasing! Get to where you know he will hear you. Because of the occasional bugle he's just talking with his cows or bugling without intimidation in an effort to attract any cows within earshot. This bull will be attracted to the Slow Play Sequence, Why, because it's evident he's interested in cows by having some of his own.

"Wandering around figuring it out as dry as we are equals a lot if noise, which frankly helps him bugle, but worse is dealing with wind and thermals no knowing where he is bedded while trying to figure it out."
OK, two things here, you're way to far away to be concerned with foot noise, you're elk hunting not Deer hunting, elk are used to noise as they move around. A single soft cow mew here & there will let them know it's an elk they hear if foot noise is apparent. Still, the Slow Play is key here for success!

2nd, if wind is an issue you need to backout entirely & come back in the morning while the wind is generally going down & they're in or near bedding. Do not setup to call before they hit bedding area, they are in transition & will not come back to you. You have a captive audience for hours once they are at their destination. (bedding area)

"800 yards square is close enough for really hot bulls by themselves. But cowed up bulls I seem to need closer to. And it gets real confusing in thick timber trying to figure it out."
OK, you do not have a hot bull present, (no hot cows) you just have an occasional bugler for the above reasons. Again, the Slow Play Sequence will suck him right in, please go over the detailed Sequence, it will work! If you Challenge that bull there's a very good chance he'll leave the area. -- There are times you can Challenge a bull in your situation & setup. Here's what to look for! -- When starting the Slow Play with the cow mews you'll find in most early season cases the bull will stay quiet but once you inject raking, panting & soft yearning bugles the real bull could bugle you, that's a great indicator that you can get aggressive with him (match his emotion with your own bugle, don't match his sounds used) without going through the full slow play. -- If the bull stays quiet as you continue forward with rest of slow play then this is normal, he will fire up as you near completion. Have the faith, this tactic kicks ass on bulls with cows that are not in estrus!

ElkNut