Zeroing issues

ruchtir

FNG
I have recently had some trouble zeroing my rifle. It is a tikka superlite in 7mm. Nightforce shv ffa with Hawkins precision rings. I sighted this rifle in with no issues last year but due to ammo shortages I had to swap to something I could find. (Have not started reloading yet) Explanation of the issues. Shoot 2 rounds the were touching. Impact 1” left of center. Move the scope 1 moa right. The gun puts the next 2 rounds 1” right of center. What? I moved the scope back to clarify I wasn’t crazy and it hit the same exact spot 1” left. Move the scope 1 moa right again and it hits 1” right of center again. Now I have noticed this gun will put the cold bore shot center and then the next 2 about 2” left. However I was waiting 10 minutes between shots. I decided to shoot 2 more before I left and they hit dead center just a half inch low. I thought I was going crazy. Scope was professionally mounted and has shot great until now. Any ideas? Perhaps 10 minutes was not enough so the barrel was slowly heating up and not a true cold bore?

This is what Bubble is referring to.

Also, your rifle may just not like that ammo.

OP
R

ruchtir

FNG
I would remount following Forms mounting procedure.
I will take it back and see if he can take a look. I didn’t think it was a mounting issue. If I did not Adjust the turrets the guns POI did not shift.

Last edited:
You might first pull the barreked action, inspect and reinstall. It could be the scope, but I would eliminate everything else first.

Honestly, that sounds more like a shooter issue, rather than a scope or gun issue. The Tikka is a pretty light firearm and if you are shooting heavy loads, the recoil is pretty stout. If the first one always goes where you want it and subsequent shots start going wonky, my first inclination is that you are flinching just a tiny bit, or your form changes on subsequent shots.

How were you resting the gun? Any muzzle devises? What ammo are you shooting? Single loading or loading from magazine?

Also, if the point of impact was shifting 2" with a 1MOA adjustment, did you try to only adjust 1/2 MOA to see if it only moved 1"?

For me, there is not enough information here to advise pulling the scope and starting over.

In order of likelihood:
- trigger puller error
- inconsistent cheek weld/parallax error
- ammo doesn’t shoot
- overtorqued scope mount leading to poor tracking
- scope doesn’t track for its own reasons

Have a different person shoot it and don’t tell them about any issues. Then proceed with the sage advice in previous posts if the rifle/scope is still not cooperating.

rruchti

FNG
Was able to get it figured out. Gave the gun 15 minutes between shots and made sure to leave it vertical so heat could escape. Moved the scope once and the gun drove tacks the whole day. Made sure to dial the scope up and down and ensure it returned to zero. Not sure if my time between shots was not enough or consistent and led to slight differences. More than likely shooter error as I was getting a bit frustrated.

I was dealing with the same thing with my new rifle last weekend. Im headed back this weekend to try sone of the things listed in here. Thanks for sharing.

Lawnboi

WKR
Was able to get it figured out. Gave the gun 15 minutes between shots and made sure to leave it vertical so heat could escape. Moved the scope once and the gun drove tacks the whole day. Made sure to dial the scope up and down and ensure it returned to zero. Not sure if my time between shots was not enough or consistent and led to slight differences. More than likely shooter error as I was getting a bit frustrated.
It’s still beneficial to zero off a 10 round group.

What you may have been seeing is simply 2 extremes of your cone of fire. Even though 10 round groups are not normally pretty, it allows a zero that takes into account those extremes. Means more hits at distance and a better understanding of what your rifle is capable of