Zeroing with a Lead Sled

OP
MaraviaDave
I don’t put any weight in the sled. I even removed the front bag and replaced it with a sand bag. The rear of my sled has a 1” thick simms style piece of rubber in it.

If a gun kicks hard enough to break a stock with my setup then I’ll fix it and sell the damn thing.

Lord have mercy how hard do you guys guns kick? Lol

No thanks.

I do my final sight in with my 300 wsm at 400 yards and it hits the same place on the bags as when it sitting in the lead sled so I’m calling bullshit on a lot of you internet jockeys.

I’m no ribbon chaser. I call it good enough as most of you should and it would save you a pile of ammo…
Wow! You sure appear to be defensive about your decision to use a lead sled. So, what are the reasons you find it necessary to use one? Does your recoil sensitivity make you afraid of your rifle? Are you not very confident in your ability to shoot a rifle well? Do you not grasp the principles of physics? Do you struggle to use critical thinking and reasoning skills when you hear new information?

Don’t give up. There’s hope. Lots of great resources are available to help you get a baseline understanding of the fundamentals of marksmanship. I’d recommend a precision rifle shooting course, or at the very least, enroll in some online training. Either option would be a great start.

Or, alternatively, you can remain a fudd with a lot of blowhard opinions and not much substance.

I sincerely hope you choose to get some training, increase your knowledge base and then get out there and practice shooting from field positions.

Best of luck!

I think lead sleds have their place, but it’s a small place. Great for kids, getting on paper, etc. I first hand witnessed different POI with multiple rifles. That’s when I ditched mine.

Wrench

WKR
Watch guys who are great shots on bipods. They either shoot with the bipod loaded the same way every time, or they shoot a 15 pound pussycat round.

One of the best drills a shooter can do is to shoot light rifles from field positions. The recoil impulse is unforgiving of form errors...and it's impossible to hide.

Some of you guys crack me up. I’ve used em for years on guns to sight them in at first. Never ever had a stock break or crack. Never had a scope move or break , ever. I’m not putting 100’s or 1000’s of rounds through it, just basically to sight a gun in or check to make sure it’s still on. Oh and my son loves it because he can shoot different guns and doesn’t get the shit kicked out of his small frame. And to the guys saying it’s breaking stocks and an immovable object, are u welding it down or putting 1000 pounds on it. Mine still moves and still kicks , it’s just reduced cuz of some weight I put on it. I have mine mainly for my kids , but have no problem using it. Sometimes I use it with no weight as a rest to check and make sure a gun is stil on.
Your kids aren't shooting anything, there just pulling the trigger. There is a difference.
If they can't shoot a real rifle because of the recoil get them something they can and teach them proper form. Teach them good habits/skills early so they don't create problems later.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Led sleds are junk. If you have to use one to sight in your rifle, get a new rifle or learn to shoot.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Agross

WKR
🤣. Actually my son shot his first buck this year. 98 yds and he hit in the heart. I couldn’t have been prouder. He’s 10. We live in a no rifle zone so I know thats only a chip shot for experts like you.
I don’t need any new rifles , all mine shoot great.

Wow! You sure appear to be defensive about your decision to use a lead sled. So, what are the reasons you find it necessary to use one? Does your recoil sensitivity make you afraid of your rifle? Are you not very confident in your ability to shoot a rifle well? Do you not grasp the principles of physics? Do you struggle to use critical thinking and reasoning skills when you hear new information?

Don’t give up. There’s hope. Lots of great resources are available to help you get a baseline understanding of the fundamentals of marksmanship. I’d recommend a precision rifle shooting course, or at the very least, enroll in some online training. Either option would be a great start.

Or, alternatively, you can remain a fudd with a lot of blowhard opinions and not much substance.

I sincerely hope you choose to get some training, increase your knowledge base and then get out there and practice shooting from field positions.

Best of luck!

Wow, you sure appear to be unable to address this issue without disrespecting others. You could have just made your case, but instead just acted like a person who doesn't respect other people.

Last edited:

EdP

WKR
If you have a problem with recoil I recommend using a PAST shoulder pad. They are very effective in reducing the felt recoil and still allow you to handle the rifle normally. Much less expensive than a lead sled too.

rayporter

WKR
in competition i shoot free recoil as do most short range benchrest shooters, only the trigger is touched to fire and the rifle is free to recoil to your shoulder. this minimizes shooter input from shoulder forces.

the stocks have evolved so that it is nearly impossible to hold with your hand because the action and barrel are set as low as possible in the stock to minimize rotational forces. this allows the wrist of the stock to be very straight and large and strong. stock flex can be real.

long range stocks have evolved along a different path. they are very easy to hold which allows the rifle to be pulled into the shoulder and the surfaces of the butt and fore end are parallel on the bottom to allow straight recoil.

OP
MaraviaDave
Meh, I leave my feelings in the bedroom. He can say whatever he wants.

I will just keep doing what works for me.

Is it hunting season yet?
I’m sorry for the way I replied to you, earlier in this thread. I went back and reread my post and recognize that it was out of line. I definitely shouldn’t have responded to you that way. Please accept my apology.

mtluckydan

Lil-Rokslider
Curious what the point of your post is...Do you just stand on the line and shoot offhand to zero your rifle to simulate field conditions?? That seems like the best way to demonstrate your shooting prowess. Maybe I missed the news...did lead sled go out of business because of it's absolute failure?? I guess I missed it cause I was reading about the acquisition of NULA by Wilson Combat. They probably suck too...too much recoil....

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

OP
MaraviaDave
Curious what the point of your post is...Do you just stand on the line and shoot offhand to zero your rifle to simulate field conditions?? That seems like the best way to demonstrate your shooting prowess. Maybe I missed the news...did lead sled go out of business because of it's absolute failure?? I guess I missed it cause I was reading about the acquisition of NULA by Wilson Combat. They probably suck too...too much recoil....

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
I doubt lead sleds will go out of business. There will always be a segment of the shooting community who get suckered into gimmicks, are new to the sport or don’t understand the adverse effects a lead sled will have on their zero.

No, I’d never recommend shooting offhand to zero a rifle. From my perspective a hunting rifle should be zeroed using a bipod and rear bag, shot from the prone. Followed by confirming zero using positional shooting from field expedient positions. A good tool to use for this is the KRAFT drill. My favorite bag is an Armageddon Gear Pint Sized Gamechanger with Git-lite fill. It works good enough as a rear bag and is really versatile for supporting the front of the rifle, if you can’t get prone.

Not really sure what NULA’s have to do with this thread. But, since you brought it up….I’ve been using a NULA 300 Win Mag for sheep hunting for the last 10 years. From my perspective…..it’s a well built rifle. It’s best attribute is how light it is. My rifle weighs 7.3 lbs (NF NXS 2.5-10x42 and Talley rings). Which is nice on backpack hunts, that are typically 10-12 days long.

However, I feel like it’s lightweight also handicaps it’s shoot-ability. It’s a lot more finnicky to shoot. As a result I reduce the distance I’m willing to shoot it. Of the rams I’ve killed, 476 yards was the longest shot. Bipod, rear bag and quite a bit of dry firing….before I actually sent one. POA-POI were the same. If I hadn’t enough time to setup on the ram and confirm through dry firing that I was stable……I wouldn’t have shot an ultralight rifle that far.

My preference is for guns in the 9.5 - 10 pound range. Which are what my 300 PRC (caribou, interior grizzly) and 375 H&H (moose, brown bear) rifles weigh. The increased weight over a NULA is a great compromise between forgiving shootability, manageable recoil and a reasonable rifle weight to carry strapped to my pack. So, instead of being limited by the shootability of a lightweight rifle, I’m limited by the bullets terminal performance at distance and/or the stability of my position.

I doubt lead sleds will go out of business. There will always be a segment of the shooting community who get suckered into gimmicks, are new to the sport or don’t understand the adverse effects a lead sled will have on their zero.
There's also a large segment of the shooting community who doesn't shoot well enough for it to matter.

I'd venture a guess that there's a lot of overlap.