Zeroing with a Lead Sled

Zeroing with a Lead Sled is an admission of;
1) You’re afraid of recoil
2) You lack confidence in your ability to shoot accurately
3) You don’t understand that a ‘zero’ established from a lead sled is going to result in a difference between POA and POI in the field, while hunting.

Lead sleds and fudds, go together like, soy lattes and woke hipsters.

2ski

WKR
Zeroing with a Lead Sled is an admission of;
1) You’re afraid of recoil
2) You lack confidence in your ability to shoot accurately
3) You don’t understand that a ‘zero’ established from a lead sled is going to result in a difference between POA and POI in the field, while hunting.

Lead sleds and fudds, go together like, soy lattes and woke hipsters.
4. You slipped on ice that was hidden under snow by your truck as you went to admire the head of your antelope before taking it to the taxidermist and had to go to the chiropractor to be adjusted and his advice was not to shoot your brand new gun right away but you were really wanting to put some lead through it so you bought a lead sled but didn't relaize #3 and then after shooting a gun you know is sub MOA first and having the groups suck called your more knowledgeable buddy who told you #3.

OR

#5 You zero 7 rifles during one sitting and you don't feel like having the shit kicked out of your shoulder for 2 hours because your max shot distance is 100 yards and the difference in the group size and location on the paper is negligible compared to shooting off the bags and it doesn't constitute giving more of a fuk.

Rich M

WKR
I use a rifle holder but not a lead sled. Will fold up a thick bath towel to cut down on recoil for extended range sessions. Once the gun is zeroed, or confirmed. You're good to go and can do your drills.

For me, zeroing goes a lot smoother with a rifle holder, especially if I had a Mt Dew and a honey bun on the ride to the range.

OP
MaraviaDave

Agross

WKR
Some of you guys crack me up. I’ve used em for years on guns to sight them in at first. Never ever had a stock break or crack. Never had a scope move or break , ever. I’m not putting 100’s or 1000’s of rounds through it, just basically to sight a gun in or check to make sure it’s still on. Oh and my son loves it because he can shoot different guns and doesn’t get the shit kicked out of his small frame. And to the guys saying it’s breaking stocks and an immovable object, are u welding it down or putting 1000 pounds on it. Mine still moves and still kicks , it’s just reduced cuz of some weight I put on it. I have mine mainly for my kids , but have no problem using it. Sometimes I use it with no weight as a rest to check and make sure a gun is stil on.

rayporter

WKR
google it. broken stocks show up often enough.

another big chance of causing poi changes is clamping your hand over the scope when you shoot.

it is something that is hard to duplicate and hard to do in the field. especially off hand or in any position other than prone.

i can easily show you it bends the scope tube when you put your hand on the scope.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Explain how this changes POI when not using the LeadSled?
The forces on a rifle are far more complex than most imagine. Look at how benchrest shooters control every factor and make everything perfectly repeatable.

If someone still believes that they can zero in different physical conditions it’s because it hasn’t been explained or the distance they shoot doesn’t matter and they haven’t seen it.

Movement during recoil before the bullet leaves the barrel does not need to be much. Less than width of a human hair in change can occur during the milliseconds the bullet is in the barrel. After all, you feel recoil start the moment the primer ignites the powder and the bullet gets propelled forward.

Shooting a brake, there is still “full” recoil impulse until the bullet leaves the barrel. So, a brake or suppressor doesn’t change how much the rifle moves.

When guys I know miss with their 300 RUM shooting in field positions, and it is always high over the back, unless they have dialed or ranged wrong. It is always high because of the angular force that pushes a rifle muzzle up.

I don’t put any weight in the sled. I even removed the front bag and replaced it with a sand bag. The rear of my sled has a 1” thick simms style piece of rubber in it.

If a gun kicks hard enough to break a stock with my setup then I’ll fix it and sell the damn thing.

Lord have mercy how hard do you guys guns kick? Lol

No thanks.

I do my final sight in with my 300 wsm at 400 yards and it hits the same place on the bags as when it sitting in the lead sled so I’m calling bullshit on a lot of you internet jockeys.

I’m no ribbon chaser. I call it good enough as most of you should and it would save you a pile of ammo…

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I don’t put any weight in the sled. I even removed the front bag and replaced it with a sand bag. The rear of my sled has a 1” thick simms style piece of rubber in it.

If a gun kicks hard enough to break a stock with my setup then I’ll fix it and sell the damn thing.

Lord have mercy how hard do you guys guns kick? Lol

No thanks.

I do my final sight in with my 300 wsm at 400 yards and it hits the same place on the bags as when it sitting in the lead sled so I’m calling bullshit on a lot of you internet jockeys.

I’m no ribbon chaser. I call it good enough as most of you should and it would save you a pile of ammo…
Works for you, cool.

You also appear to use it as a support more than a “lead sled” cause you don’t put lead weights in it… and replaced the front with a sand bag. So, it’s kinda more like a rest than a lead sled, but this internet jocky signs off with yeeeehaaaa!