Zip off base layer

What does everyone recommending for zip off bottoms. As far as I know kui, first lite, and stone glacier are the once’s that’s offer them. Looking for around 200 weight and not sure which ones to pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S
Also for length? Not sure if the boot length ones would ride up and not sure of the purpose of the full length as I would think you would still have to at least open up your boots if not take them off the get them back on?

j33

WKR
Kuiu Peloton 97 zip offs are what I run, unreal the breath ability of these things and dry extremely quick. Don't get the 118 as it's just a baselayer with no warmth. Wish I bought these years ago, they're replacing my Under Armour 2.0, way better. The boot cut of them don't bother me, my wool sock cover that spot.

I wouldn't get the First Lite Kiln zip layer, I don't find my Kiln hoody dries very quick at all so wouldn't run that as a baselayer. Kiln seems to keep me chilled vs my 97.

OP
S
Thanks! Good info. Have you tried the 200 at all. I really don’t get cold that easily especially when walking. Main purpose will be to put on when sitting or hiking when it is very cold.

j33

WKR
I have not tried the 200 zip offs

I've tried some Merino wools and I prefer Synthetics for what I do

I have the lighter weight 3/4 length ones from first lite, they are pretty good and comfortable. I do prefer the 3/4 length since i wear taller socks than my boots that fill in the void since i wear 8" boots currently. Seem kinda fragile, i know they're thin but theres a little hole near the crotch in mine already and I've only had them on one serious back country trip, mostly just daily wear for construction the last couple months. They also tend to ride up a tad at the bottom and i wish the zipper went the opposite way, it digs into my leg when i sit on my legs in certain positions and tends to start unzipping sometimes, which i cant feel while wearing them but still is lame. Over all a solid layer that id still pefer over non zip or full length options

I recently got a pair of the minus33 400g chugach 3/4 zip offs from amazon for these colder temps and they're better than the first lite in my opinion. I disagree with the review on there that they have a smell and wont be good for hunting, mine just smell like wool.. I wish they had a lighter weight offering too but it appears they dont. The zipper starts at the bottom on them and sits under the velcro closure at the top, and you can run the pull cords through the velcro closure to insure they wont unzip. I prefer this to the first lite zippers that have the opposite orientation. They dont ride up as bad either but that may be due to the difference in thickness between the 2 pairs. Another cool thing is that one side has a white zipper pull cord and white velco and the other side is all black, which actually helps me put them on correctly first try. Sounds dumb but if you own zip off pants you may know what i mean.. ive had a few failed attempts at putting on the first lite pair, panicking in cold weather with pants around my boots and mismatching the 2 velcro sides lol

I have the lighter weight 3/4 length ones from first lite, they are pretty good and comfortable. I do prefer the 3/4 length since i wear taller socks than my boots that fill in the void since i wear 8" boots currently. Seem kinda fragile, i know they're thin but theres a little hole near the crotch in mine already and I've only had them on one serious back country trip, mostly just daily wear for construction the last couple months. They also tend to ride up a tad at the bottom and i wish the zipper went the opposite way, it digs into my leg when i sit on my legs in certain positions and tends to start unzipping sometimes, which i cant feel while wearing them but still is lame. Over all a solid layer that id still pefer over non zip or full length options

I recently got a pair of the minus33 400g chugach 3/4 zip offs from amazon for these colder temps and they're better than the first lite in my opinion. I disagree with the review on there that they have a smell and wont be good for hunting, mine just smell like wool.. I wish they had a lighter weight offering too but it appears they dont. The zipper starts at the bottom on them and sits under the velcro closure at the top, and you can run the pull cords through the velcro closure to insure they wont unzip. I prefer this to the first lite zippers that have the opposite orientation. They dont ride up as bad either but that may be due to the difference in thickness between the 2 pairs. Another cool thing is that one side has a white zipper pull cord and white velco and the other side is all black, which actually helps me put them on correctly first try. Sounds dumb but if you own zip off pants you may know what i mean.. ive had a few failed attempts at putting on the first lite pair, panicking in cold weather with pants around my boots and mismatching the 2 velcro sides lol

Nice review. I didn’t know of these previously. They sound like something I may try out.
Thanks