Zip off baselayer

WyoWrangler

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to purchase my first pair of zip off baselayer leggings. I have a pair of UA, but I’ve never really felt they were that great for my purposes, over heat really fast which I why I would like to try a zip off that I could use throughout my seasons. I’d only like to buy one pair that I could use for early cool mornings archery in September to late season rifle, I have multiple pants that I can change out for the type of hunting I will be doing. I’ve looked at Kuiu’s pro merino 200, Ultra merino 145, SG hello, FL kiln and fuse which aren’t available yet. I like my Pro merino 200 hoodie but I didn’t know if the kuiu’s baselayer were the same type of fabric construction.

Last edited:

Florida Bow Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Depends I feel which overall temps you will Hunt in.

My favorite base layer I ever owned were the Expedition weight Patagonia Capilene 1/4 zip. They make for an inferno as soon as you layer onto them.

As I walk in to the stand, I just open the 1/4 zip and let the heat out. Remember heat rises so it escapes right up thru the open 1/4 zip.

As the day/afternoon goes, I zip a little at a time to hold more heat in until I need to fully cover all skin. Works great for me the 1/4 zip.

Being I mainly hunt Florida now after being transplanted here, I need heat wicking base layer of a different sort to hunt 90 degree weather. That’s where UA Heat Gear shines for me. No zip, just lite weight, quick drying polyester. UA also makes a Storm line which resists rain excellently. Our weather almost always will douse you either with rain or sweat. So I need 2 different “types” of Base Layers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
WyoWrangler

WyoWrangler

Lil-Rokslider
I’m located in Wyoming so that shows you the region, won’t have to worry too much about rain. The temps I hunt in can vary from 70’s-80’s in September archery to 0-30’s in the later season with snow. During September they would mostly just be used to keep the chill off when walking in and I’d think the zip feature would be used to keep from over heating, during the later seasons they would be kept on and zipped up, layered with the appropriate pant for that day. That’s why I was looking for something that could be used basically all season. My bottom portion doesn’t tend to get cold, but I’d like to add this to my gear to get rid of the UA‘s. Not really interested in anything that doesn’t have the zip, also I can deal with not having merino, but I do like my Pro merino hoodie that’s why those I listed are in consideration.

Florida Bow Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Brother, I do recommend full polyester over merino for your temp range. The reason why ? I tried merino base in the 70’s and it’s too stifling for me. I think polyester breathes easier and this might be because it’s not woven as tight as merino ? I love merino, albeit a bit scratchy but under 40 degrees I don’t mind merino, above I don’t play with it.

There’s a lot of polyester base layers I like. As I said Patagonia will be on me as a base anything below freezing.

Others I like are Arteryx, and Polartec who I think invented the polyester breathable material or popularized it ? Many garments claim Polartec. Good stuff.

I’ve found it’s what you put over that good base layer in the cold that makes the base layer perform best. The base will wick and pull your heat. Your second layer then needs to distribute the heat and pass most the sweat as it ofcourse absorbs some, nothing is 100% even your base. So it’s a system and I found some garments work best with certain garments and other times you’d call them garbage but then when used with a different garment, work great.

I have never found anything UA worth it’s weight in salt for any temps in the teens. In fact, I shun UA in what I call cold, 32 and less. I love UA in the heat.

I have not tried warm weather Kuiu but own their Peletron which is warm weather. It’s pretty awesome stuff. The fit for my body type, short and muscular isn’t good. They seem to be for swimmers builds with long arms and 30 inch waists ??? Lol . I size up and the sleeves are too long, but other than that, the stuff PERFORMS!

OP
WyoWrangler

WyoWrangler

Lil-Rokslider
I have never had a merino legging, and I do find myself wearing more synthetics when the temps get up there for the drying ability. Just didn’t know much about having a merino legging. So that narrows my list to Kuiu’s peloton 118, and SG helio, or the recommendations above that I’m up for. Anyone have any insight to how these are sized and fit, with my UA they are tight fitting which I do like because it prevents bunching up in the wrong areas.

I’ve got Kuiu peloton 97 zip offs and some merino 210s. Both work extremely well for what you are describing. The 97 is a little thin for late season unless you already have really warm pants or you’re moving a lot. The 210 is a little uncomfortable in warmer weather to me. For a do it all base layer I would get the thicker Kuiu ones because I don’t think the 118 will be very warm in late season.

Florida Bow Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Kuiu remember we’re avid mountain hunters. So they were in the extreme cold, but moving. As you move you generate heat.

Treestand hunting is a different animal. There is no movement and you’re subject to your conditions. You need to generate heat without movement and shield against cold /wind entry. It’s why I always wear wind proof outer gear in cold climates on the stand .

Felix40

WKR
I have a pair from Kuiu. No complaints at all. They were the only game in town when I bought mine. I don’t understand why more companies haven’t gotten with the program.

Lowg08

WKR
I am transferring to all zip off this year. I only backpack hunt. So I walk a long ways and sweat horribly. So I have to pack a whole extra set of clothes and get changed once I get there. My hope with the zip off is as follows. I want to hike in on my pants and only hope to pull down pants to boots and add them. Also being able to add as the temps cool. I will be buying the FL fuse 3/4 zip off and. KUIU peleton 97 zip off. All boot length and will use the darn tough mountaineer sock. It sounds like it would simplify weight and ease of adding layers or removing

OP
WyoWrangler

WyoWrangler

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at all the different zip options, SG the Helios come in at 8.3 oz for large, peloton 97 at 5.5 oz, the peloton 118 at 5.5 oz, pro merino 200 at 9.5 oz, first lite fuze zip 8 oz, FL kiln zip 12 oz. I’m really like the SG they are right in the middle for weight and have some really thought out features. Has anyone had problems with the zip off from Kuiu’s rubbing on the waist with a pack?

CAVEBEAR

FNG
I have the Kuiu merino 145, and they work great from spring bear to caribou in the fall. Plus they work well controlling odor, however I've never worn them in the 70-80° temp ranges.

OP
WyoWrangler

WyoWrangler

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Kuiu merino 145, and they work great from spring bear to caribou in the fall. Plus they work well controlling odor, however I've never worn them in the 70-80° temp ranges.

definitely would not be wearing them in those ranges, just mostly in the early mornings before the sun comes up or on cool mornings in September. By the time it got up to 60 plus they’d be coming off.

bruno59

WKR
I have the kuiu pro merino 200 i used them during the early part of spring bear here in montana they were great when it warmed up they came off easy had no problems with them under my pack didn't even notice them just put mine on scale mediums weigh 10 0zs.

OP
WyoWrangler

WyoWrangler

Lil-Rokslider
I have the kuiu pro merino 200 i used them during the early part of spring bear here in montana they were great when it warmed up they came off easy had no problems with them under my pack didn't even notice them just put mine on scale mediums weigh 10 0zs.

I really like my pro merino 200 hoodie, and how it’s a mix of merino and synthetics. I feel it breathes just enough and is warm when I need it. I definitely feel it doesn’t give you that nasty odor either, so I wouldn’t say it’s completely off my list. I just wish they were in stock so I could get them before September.

I do not wear any base layers for my legs until the temperatures are cold enough to warrant them. It has to be the low 40s or colder for me to consider putting them on. They mostly go on only for glassing or eating. When it is time to move, they come off. No point in saturating them with sweat if it can be avoided.

My Pelotons 118s just do nothing for me. If I do bring them on a hunt, they just get worn at bed time to help keep my bag cleaner.

I'll take the 4-5 ounce weight penalty of the 200 Pro Merino every time over the lighter weight options. I'll get greater temperature range coverage this way. Since i'm not moving when they are on, I am comfortable but do not have to worry about getting hot.

You may also want to consider grabbing some down bottoms for your late season hunts. Big step up in warmth for not much more in additional weight. Using Kuiu as an example, go with the Pros instead of the Ultras. A bit more in cost, but a lot more warmth. Again, you're not wearing them while your are moving. You are getting greater temperature range coverage.

Removing base layers? WTF? I just wear the appropriate merino for the weather...sometimes that's FL Aerowool shorts and short sleeved tee (hot weather archery season) but the notion of removing my base layer never crossed my mind. That's part of my tick protection right there.

I've got two pairs of kuiu zip-offs, merino 145 (?) and peloton 118. As well as the first lite kiln top.

I would sweat my nuts off hiking in kiln bottoms.

The 118 have been really comfortable in a wide range of temperatures and activity levels.

The kuiu merino are pretty nice but the crotch fabric has really gotten thin.