Zip off bottoms

sparelink

FNG
Is Kuiu still the only ones making zip off base layers?

I would like to pick up a pair, would prefer merino but I don’t think I found fit into Kuiu’s with my 42” waist.

Does anyone else have recommendations on some base layers?

FlyGuy

WKR
I wish everyone made these. I can't imagine why they don't, but Kuiu is the only one I know of.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

ChadSchu

FNG
If you can get your hands on one of the military surplus ECWS level 7 pants they zip off as well. That is what i have used the last two seasons and they jave beem very warm and easy to use. They are very durable but a little on the bulky side.

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk

OP
S

sparelink

FNG
If you can get your hands on one of the military surplus ECWS level 7 pants they zip off as well. That is what i have used the last two seasons and they jave beem very warm and easy to use. They are very durable but a little on the bulky side.

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk

While those do look interesting, I am looking for more of a base layer than an heavy outer.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I believe Pods8 did a d.i.y post awhile back but I don’t remember his end result. I sincerely think Kuiu or diy are the only options.

ericF

WKR
Pretty much. Nothing new from the big companies like First Lite, Sitka, Skre, etc which is a real shame. Under armour has full zip off on their down pants, but no zip-offs for base layers.

It's really a shame that no one else makes the zip offs. They are an absolute game changer for early morning hunts when it warms up quickly.

Either Kuiu has some kind of patent or the other companies don’t want to copy them and seem like they can’t come up with their own ideas. Kinda like the hip vents. Another thing is why don’t they also put vents on the inseam too? Seems like that would really help. Maybe another set of zippers is too heavy?

CMF

WKR
Anyone find any zip off bottoms yet?

Michiganhunter, I agree with the additional vents, I just got a pair of the attack pants and wore them last weekend on a scouting trip. First time with vented pants and it was great, but definitely could use another one down low on the inseam.

Either Kuiu has some kind of patent or the other companies don’t want to copy them and seem like they can’t come up with their own ideas. Kinda like the hip vents. Another thing is why don’t they also put vents on the inseam too? Seems like that would really help. Maybe another set of zippers is too heavy?

Dropping the fly helps dissipate heat in the thigh region. Wouldn't recommend it in town, but out hunting, I use the technique fairly often. I think inner thigh zippers would be an issue for comfort and chafing the way I walk, but everyone is built different. I sure like the side zips....great invention.

bcar

Lil-Rokslider
Pnuma Gear has some pants that have zippered vents on the inner thigh seams. Doesn't seem like many people actually use anything from this brand though.