Zippered entry to main pocket of a backpack vs top load only

Zipper or No Zipper

• Total voters
I’m looking to purchase a Kifaru bag but I’m not sure which to go with. I think I have it narrowed down to either the Dall or the Hoodlum. I’m wondering what you guys think of the Dall’s zipperless configuration. Do you really need to have a zipper to reach the main bag? Or is a top load sufficient if you’re using other pouches on the outside?

Jakeb

Lil-Rokslider
I have a reckoning, I really enjoy the full length zipper and the ability to get stuff out of the bottom without removing everything on top. Or even opening the pack while keeping the lid on.

I’m not sure why it isn’t a more popular pack to be honest.

NorthernHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't give up my full zip. It's a major pain in the butt to pull everything out of your pack if you need something at the bottom. I've had both and much prefer full access.

I have a reckoning, I really enjoy the full length zipper and the ability to get stuff out of the bottom without removing everything on top. Or even opening the pack while keeping the lid on.

I agree, I really like the zipper on my reckoning. I get it to not have a zipper if I was trying to go super ultralight, but for me the convenience of laying the pack open to pack and unpack or to unzip from the bottom to get something from the bottom without digging through everything is worth the slight extra weight. Even when I pack as efficiently as possible I inevitably end up needing something out of order.

It's a pain to dig something out of the bottom your pack with no zipper. I would never buy another pack without zippered access

The zipper on my bag has been used maybe one time in the field. When a zipper is behind compression straps, and those straps are always holding something, it’s as or more convenient to go in through the top imo.

The zipper on my bag has been used maybe one time in the field. When a zipper is behind compression straps, and those straps are always holding something, it’s as or more convenient to go in through the top imo.
Yes I know what you mean here. When I do have something strapped on I do go in from top as well. Most of the time I dont have something strapped on and all I have to do is unbuckle two straps and unzip.

Yes I know what you mean here. When I do have something strapped on I do go in from top as well. Most of the time I dont have something strapped on and all I have to do is unbuckle two straps and unzip.
It’s certainly a me problem here. On my side zip bag it’s a tripod, trekking poles, or firearm in the way. On my center zip, the blaze orange glassing pad rides there, even during archery. Definitely in the minority, but if I buy a different bag it will be a top loader. No reason to include something that won’t be used.

Not to derail your Kifaru pack, I have two. I like my SG Sky 5900 it’s has a top load and a horseshoe zipper on the back too. Like other have said depends on what is strapped to it and what I need

I have a Hoodlum and a Timberline top loader. I love them both but definitely prefer the Hoodlum for ease of access. Its like a 7-11. Your paying for the convenience.

When I started backpacking in the 90s, I think you could have said a zipper on a serious pack was a potential failure point. Flash forward 25 years and I think zipper tech is durable enough to last as long as the pack itself. I still don’t care for panel loaders but I do like a side zip - either full or access zippers on my backpacks.

fbhandler

WKR

If I was looking to get into a kifaru again, the reckoning is the only bag in their line up that remotely interests me. Top loading/center zip is hard to beat IMO… while I could take or leave the long side pockets, no lower stuff pockets and an external rather then internal bladder pocket are ultimately what turned me off to the reckoning, otherwise I agree, probably the best all around pack Kifaru has.

My Kifaru Highcamp 7000 came with a horseshoe zipper at the bottom and a few years later I added a zipper to the front to increase accessibility.

IMG_20211207_090423883 (2).jpg IMG_20211207_090502932 (2).jpg

i don't care for zippers, use them very little on my bags with them (unless that's THE access of course) i have a reckoning, but just got the gnargali, so i will be getting rid of the reckoning. personal preference, but i can take or leave zippers, not a feature that is heavily considered for me

Dalen88

Lil-Rokslider
when im day hunting ill use the zippers to access the pack but when im backpacking everything gets top loaded for the day and anything i need for the day is either ontop or on the outside.

madcalfe

WKR
i have a hoodlum and also a SG 6900 neither have zippers which i don't really mind. I added pockets on the back of my hoodlum to give he things i use a lot easy access.