Zoleo vs Inreach Mini

dan25

Lil-Rokslider
Trying to decide between the two devices. Any real world experience about reliability and service fees and ease of use would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I prefer the InReach instead of Zoleo.
Zoleo is the cheapest device on the market, but the monthly subscription is more expensive ($20 versus $12 for InReach).

Another problem with Zoleo is it is dependent on your phone.
Break you phone, loose your phone, or run out of battery life and Zoleo will not work.
InReach can be paired with a phone, but it also works as a stand alone device.

ZOLEO has preset the check in message to say “I’m ok” with no way to change it.
InReach allows you 3 different customizable preset messages for different situations.
"Got a bull moose" "Safe Back At Camp" "At the Boat Ramp, Headed Home" for example.

ZOLEO has no tracking feature, and no map feature.
With InReach, my family can see exactly where I am on a map thru facebook or email every half hour,
every 8 hours, depending on the user's preference.

Everyone in our moose camp has an InReach and we each hunt solo.
With the InReach it is easy to communicate to each other if one of us needs help.

idcuda

WKR
Yes, break your phone and you can not text ...InReach can send customized text messages as a stand-alone device independent of a phone.
Yep, definitely a good feature for the Garmin. If I remember correctly, the zoleo has a much better battery life. Either way, I think the Garmin and zoleo are top of the game; both are way better than my old spot. It's good to see more options popping up and the competition will benefit us.

Fatcamp

WKR
I prefer the InReach instead of Zoleo.
Zoleo is the cheapest device on the market, but the monthly subscription is more expensive ($20 versus $12 for InReach).

Another problem with Zoleo is it is dependent on your phone.
Break you phone, loose your phone, or run out of battery life and Zoleo will not work.
InReach can be paired with a phone, but it also works as a stand alone device.

ZOLEO has preset the check in message to say “I’m ok” with no way to change it.
InReach allows you 3 different customizable preset messages for different situations.
"Got a bull moose" "Safe Back At Camp" "At the Boat Ramp, Headed Home" for example.

ZOLEO has no tracking feature, and no map feature.
With InReach, my family can see exactly where I am on a map thru facebook or email every half hour,
every 8 hours, depending on the user's preference.

Everyone in our moose camp has an InReach and we each hunt solo.
With the InReach it is easy to communicate to each other if one of us needs help.

Zoleo now has a tracking feature. Costs $6 a month.

So $26 a month. $4 a month to put it on pause, and you keep your number and email address.

Had a regular Inreach and always left it behind due to size. We shall see how this device treats me.

Kayl

FNG
I looked into Zoleo for my dad as an alternative to the inreach. I found that you can't suspend your service for the Zoleo for the first 3 months and then it's $4 a month after that. The inreach freedom plan is much more flexible. I have an inreach mini and love it.

OP
D

dan25

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like the inreach is the way to go in the long run. Thanks everyone for your help.

Fatcamp

WKR
I looked at the plans and honestly didn't see much difference cost wise in the long run.

It really comes down to two things:

1: Do you really desire standalone texting? I use a very tough phone that goes everywhere so for me that is a no.

2: Is it valuable to you to have a number and email assigned to your device that doesn't change? Preferable to me.

My Zoleo was $189. Mini looks to be $350. I'm sure I could find it cheaper by a couple bucks. Still, that's a bit of money.

aeroflot

FNG
I have inreach mini and have seen some concerns about how fast texts are received. I recently used it on a sheep hunt where my dad and brother were both in different areas from me. I daily texted both of them and my wife. If they had their inreach on and responded within 10 minutes, the text came through very quickly and it was basically like having a text conversation with them. After 10 minutes, the inreach mini's default setting is to check messages every hour. There is a function to manually if you want which can be helpful if they don't respond right away.

Definitely need the app to type messages. Typing them on the mini is a PAIN but can be done.

Battery life for me was down to 20% after 12 days of turning it on at breakfast, lunch and dinner to check/send a message. I also checked weather report about 5-6 times.