Zpack pocket tarp equivalent

GHOSTofWENDELL

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys,
Might be looking for the holy grail here but, figured maybe someone has figured something out. Looking for a light weight shelter/tarp I can carry in a day pack to get out of the sun or rain. The zpack is exactly what I'd want but trying to avoid the price. Any suggestions?

freedomhunter25

Lil-Rokslider
im gonna try something . I ordered a luxe tent tarp and a inner tent liner . Im gonna play with a couple different pitch options . I also bought a Tyvek style tarp that has tab loops sewn in. The price was ridiculous cheap . by no means am I under the impression that it will take the place of a high dollar shelter. But for me , for spring and summer scouting and some quick over nights . I might be on to some thing . more to come .

OP
G

GHOSTofWENDELL

Lil-Rokslider
im gonna try something . I ordered a luxe tent tarp and a inner tent liner . Im gonna play with a couple different pitch options . I also bought a Tyvek style tarp that has tab loops sewn in. The price was ridiculous cheap . by no means am I under the impression that it will take the place of a high dollar shelter. But for me , for spring and summer scouting and some quick over nights . I might be on to some thing . more to come .
Awesome man, take pics and let me know!

Bear Paw Wilderness Designs flat tarp 4.75’ x 9.5’ is $62. Caribou Game Bags Hunters Tarp is $60.

Zpacks is actually on the cheaper side as far as dyneema goes. You would have to look at a light silpoly or silnylon option to save $. I've seen used pocket tarps on backpackinglight on occasion for pretty good deals.

***Opinion warning***

I own a several dyneema items and several silnylon items. I think of dyneema as generally half the weight for 3x the price. I think is also fair to say dyneema gives up some durability too. Great for long haul fast packers that use a piece of gear for weeks or months at a time but less impactful for something used a few nights a year.

Point is, something similar in Sil is going to be quite a bit cheaper. If you want dyneema, go for it but just know that the high price is a function of materials costs so it will be hard to find a real deal. There are cheaper and easier ways to save 4-5oz.

freedomhunter25

Lil-Rokslider
***Opinion warning***

I own a several dyneema items and several silnylon items. I think of dyneema as generally half the weight for 3x the price. I think is also fair to say dyneema gives up some durability too. Great for long haul fast packers that use a piece of gear for weeks or months at a time but less impactful for something used a few nights a year.

Point is, something similar in Sil is going to be quite a bit cheaper. If you want dyneema, go for it but just know that the high price is a function of materials costs so it will be hard to find a real deal. There are cheaper and easier ways to save 4-5oz.
well said. im not a oz counter . But I do find ways to get the best quality gear for a light weight and good dollar value ( to me) and I buy stuff to use on the paticulair hunt Im doing .

freedomhunter25

Lil-Rokslider
My luxe arrived crazy fast . I ordered thurs night and it was delivered today. Im really impressed with the quality. I got alot to play with for the money . Ill let yall know how it goes. By the way the tarp is AWESOME it came in a stuff sac and came with 6 ultra light stakes and reflective guy lines in another small stuff sack. so for 100 bux you cant beat it. But ill put it thru a couple tests and see how it all does .

nmpyro

FNG
My luxe arrived crazy fast . I ordered thurs night and it was delivered today. Im really impressed with the quality. I got alot to play with for the money . Ill let yall know how it goes. By the way the tarp is AWESOME it came in a stuff sac and came with 6 ultra light stakes and reflective guy lines in another small stuff sack. so for 100 bux you cant beat it. But ill put it thru a couple tests and see how it all does .
How’s the luxe?

gfreidy

WKR
I went down the same path. Still intrigued about the pocket tarp but ended up going with the Kifaru Sheep Tarp at 9.0oz. Enjoy it so far.

Etowah Outfitters sells a silnylon tarp that is about that size for like $50 shipped. Bear Paw Wilderness or Borah will both make you something custom too for less than $100.