Zpacks Cord Equivalent

treillw

WKR
I've got some Zpacks cord that I like a lot. Strong and weights nothing. I've used the 1.2 mm slick cord for hanging elk quarters - it will cut your hand in half, but I think pretty much any cord will with that weight. Just wrap the pulling end around a 1" diameter stick and pull until your hearts content.

I'd like to get a couple hundred feet of it, but it's pretty expensive. Would anybody know what brand of cord they might be using? I'd like to get a spool.

Thanks!

gelton

WKR
Lawson equipment...great company and great products...oh and their shoelaces are the bomb as well.

Edit - may not be the brand they are using but about 1/2 the price.

Last edited:

Doghed

WKR
One more for Lawson Equipment. I'm currently only using cord from them. Guywire, Ironwire, Glowire, and the Ultraglide bear line. All very strong, well made and very lite.

Another +1 for Lawson. They occasionally have some sale or close out items if you don’t care about color. I bought some to use as a hanging cord pretty Cheap.

tdot

WKR
I've got some Zpacks cord that I like a lot. Strong and weights nothing. I've used the 1.2 mm slick cord for hanging elk quarters - it will cut your hand in half, but I think pretty much any cord will with that weight. Just wrap the pulling end around a 1" diameter stick and pull until your hearts content.

I'd like to get a couple hundred feet of it, but it's pretty expensive. Would anybody know what brand of cord they might be using? I'd like to get a spool.

Thanks!

The Slick Cord is an un-jacketed dyneema cord. It is produced by a number of manufacturers and it is all fairly identical. There are a number of different brand names and models, but for what you are asking it to do, any dyneema will work. Sailing Yacht Suppliers will typically carry rolls of it, I've seen it on ebay as well. Arborist, high angle rescue and tactical suppliers are other places to look. The most comparable spec is breaking strength, that'll make it easier to compare products.

Another option to look for is Kite Line or Paraglider line. You can get rolls of very thin line 1.0mm, 1.2mm, 1.4mm etc. and often in a number of different colours.

Last edited:
OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I found some 1.3mm UHMWPE kite cord that is perfect for hanging meat bags. It's very slick. Seems to be the exact same stuff Zpacks sells.

I'm still driving myself crazy trying to find the stuff with the Dyneema core and braided polyester sheath though. I need it in ~1.2mm and 2.5-2.75mm. This material is much easier to untie knots, has a crazy memory and stiffness, and does not slide well. I don't want any reflectors in it and would like it to be a natural color; don't see a need to advertise where my stuff is more than necessary on public land. It seems to be pretty plentiful overseas. Anybody know where to track some down?

Thanks!

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
The Slick Cord is an un-jacketed dyneema cord. It is produced by a number of manufacturers and it is all fairly identical. There are a number of different brand names and models, but for what you are asking it to do, any dyneema will work. Sailing Yacht Suppliers will typically carry rolls of it, I've seen it on ebay as well. Arborist, high angle rescue and tactical suppliers are other places to look. The most comparable spec is breaking strength, that'll make it easier to compare products.

Another option to look for is Kite Line or Paraglider line. You can get rolls of very thin line 1.0mm, 1.2mm, 1.4mm etc. and often in a number of different colours.
I seem to have found the stuff you're referring to. See my post above - would you know where to find any with the poly sheath and dyneema core?

Thanks!

tdot

WKR
I seem to have found the stuff you're referring to. See my post above - would you know where to find any with the poly sheath and dyneema core?

Thanks!

These guys have alot of great & unusual options. I've used their stuff both for kite surfing and sailing. All good stuff.

Hyperlight Mountain Gear also sells some dyneema core w/ poly cover. It's decent, but I wasn't a fan of the cover.

fish impaler

Lil-Rokslider
I found some 1.3mm UHMWPE kite cord that is perfect for hanging meat bags. It's very slick. Seems to be the exact same stuff Zpacks sells.

I'm still driving myself crazy trying to find the stuff with the Dyneema core and braided polyester sheath though. I need it in ~1.2mm and 2.5-2.75mm. This material is much easier to untie knots, has a crazy memory and stiffness, and does not slide well. I don't want any reflectors in it and would like it to be a natural color; don't see a need to advertise where my stuff is more than necessary on public land. It seems to be pretty plentiful overseas. Anybody know where to track some down?

Thanks!
Check out Spearfishing reel /rigging line . Several brands offer similar jacketed options. The Aussie reels “pro” line sounds like what you are looking for. It’s quite stiff compared to all other PE line I have used

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR

These guys have alot of great & unusual options. I've used their stuff both for kite surfing and sailing. All good stuff.

Hyperlight Mountain Gear also sells some dyneema core w/ poly cover. It's decent, but I wasn't a fan of the cover.
Premium ropes has it, unfortunately overseas shipping is not cheap!

tdot

WKR
Premium ropes has it, unfortunately overseas shipping is not cheap!

They may have a rep in North America, may be worth asking, or even one of their European retailers might ship for cheaper. I was fortunate to be living in Europe for a few years, and their stuff was super cheap at the time.