Zpacks Hexamid ?

Poser

WKR
I searched the forums and saw a handful of older reviews on this shelter. Looking for any feedback.

I’m not sure I’d use this shelter for hunting or not, but potentially. I’m looking for a UL shelter for bikepacking, mostly on the Colorado Trail and surrounding high country. I need something super light (because I 60 lbs loaded bike sucks), something that packs really small to fit in a bike bag and only requires a single, small pole to support it. Trying to keep cost under $400.

Though I try to avoid sleeping above treeline when biking (usually I can move fast enough to avoid it), it does happen. I read some concerns about high winds.

So, looking for any experience with this setup. Also, if I get the one with the door, do I need a bivy sack or other accessory to stay dry? In my current floorless setup, I use a sheet of polycro + pad + quilt. Wondering if the extra small size of this will result in splash back -it does rain and rain quite hard on the CO Trail. It hails, too.

I have the zpacks hexamid solo plus and really like it. I haven’t used it in horrible weather but it has seen rain and light snow. I made my own carbon pole out of old arrows and with the pole, guidelines and bag it is 10.3 ounces. A lot of room to get everything I carry under the tarp and plenty of room for me to sleep. I use it for Bivy hunts while elk and deer hunting. It sets up fairly easy once you figure out how to get the height right and mark your guidelines. I do t have the floor or bug net. I use a borah Bivy with quilt and pad inside which works for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtnkid85

WKR
Ive had my solo plus with the door for several years now also. Its been great.

Its held up to plenty of weather. (Somewhere on the forum Ive posted a picture of it buried in several feet of snow). I am careful about wind though, Its never collapsed on me but I have taken it down mid storm and literally slept wrapped up in it to keep it from flapping/shredding. That night my cooking pot blew away.

If you stake it out good and tight with all the guy outs and can get behind any amount of a wind block then you'll be good to go.
In the summer ill sleep under it without a bivy but in the shoulder seasons I still combine it with a bivy sack. I would definitely go with the door, with out the door I think I would just do a flat tarp.

Floorguy

WKR
I have a cuben mld solomid, pretty sure it's about the same dimension wise. While it is nice I am probably going to look into offloading it sometime soon to get something else as I have been using it as my primary shelter an want more room. I think having an sl6 spoiled me and my son wants to start going out more with me. Here are some pics from a hike I did last month.
089816b70b73baaf0819dde806a29fff.jpg
aa819619c09afe064455d4d2ee7f4c79.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk