Zwickey broadhead wont unscrew

LanceM

FNG
Hey guys, just bought my first pack of Zwickeys (No Mercy). I took one single head out, put it on my arrow , and gently snugged it down. Shot a few shots to confirm POI was the same as my field points, then attempted to unscrew it. The blades will spin as I unscrew, but the actual threads are not turning. Before I break this thing with vice grips, heat, or other tools, has anyone else had this happen? Is this a known issue with them? This is literally the first Zwickey I've ever taken out of the package... not a good first impression.

oldgoat

WKR
I've never had that happen, haven't shot a ton of them. I'm pretty sure those are silver soldered so that would take quite a high heat to reset the solder. But heat is about all that will help

Probably some oxidation , or machining debris in there locking things up.

So the blade should come right off, then you can use pliers on the adapter.

Might have to get a new insert and adapter if they won't come apart.

slvrslngr

WKR
Once you get things apart contact Zwickey, I bet they will make things right with you. I’d also suggest putting a little string or bees wax on the male threads before screwing them into your arrows.

OP
L

LanceM

FNG
Sounds like the blades busted loose from the ferrule then. I’d get some vice grips and clamp down and twist it out of there, then chuck the head.
This is exactly what happened. Used vise grips for a little more pinch power on the ferrule and it unscrewed easily. Broad head was just lightly snugged down, so I’m shocked it spun so easily. Hoping this was a fluke. Thanks for the input