Naturally Good Shooters

KJH

WKR
I was doing some practicing this past weekend with my 62lb recurve. I had a neighbor come over on his four wheeler to BS a bit. He'd had a couple of beers but was just enjoying the day with nothing to do. After a bit of talking he asked to shoot the bow... I was hesitant but reluctantly agreed. He said he hadn't shot a bow in 30+ years and had never been a bow hunter or owned a bow. I've known him a long time, and know this as fact.

His first five arrows at 12 yards were EXACTLY in the bullseye and about the size of a baseball. I thought, OK, he's lucky. I was just worried he'd lose an arrow because he struggled to pull it to full draw at first.

His second five arrows were at 15 yards and an even better group but about 4 inches high. He was feeling cocky and I was amazed.

Then we went back to 20 yards. He shot 5 more arrows and again had a baseball sized group again but EXACTLY in the bullseye. We're talking compound types of groups here.

Evidently, he's a natural. I'm not. I guess some people are just good at things without trying hard at it. I'm convinced it wasn't luck. Now I'm jealous... and a little peeved that I have to work for it. His form was junk and the bow was all over the place. Maybe I need to try his "non-typical" form from now on. The only good news with this story is that he did hit his forearm once in the last string of arrows and has a bruise because he didn't wear the arm guard!

Any other naturally good shooters out there who don't need to practice with a traditional rig?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I don't know. I've never tried a traditional rig. Being LH with a 32 1/2" draw finding anything to shoot is hard enough. But compound came real easy. I remember my first shot at the shop at 10 yards wondering if I would miss that 4 foot by 4 foot target. Then within a week I was comfortably shooting at 60.......as far as I could get in my yard. But I would love to try traditional some day with the right setup. I could see an elk hunt in my future with a recurve.

LostArra

WKR
I was doing some practicing this past weekend with my 62lb recurve. I had a neighbor come over on his four wheeler to BS a bit. He'd had a couple of beers but was just enjoying the day with nothing to do. After a bit of talking he asked to shoot the bow... I was hesitant but reluctantly agreed. He said he hadn't shot a bow in 30+ years and had never been a bow hunter or owned a bow. I've known him a long time, and know this as fact.

His first five arrows at 12 yards were EXACTLY in the bullseye and about the size of a baseball. I thought, OK, he's lucky. I was just worried he'd lose an arrow because he struggled to pull it to full draw at first.

His second five arrows were at 15 yards and an even better group but about 4 inches high. He was feeling cocky and I was amazed.

Then we went back to 20 yards. He shot 5 more arrows and again had a baseball sized group again but EXACTLY in the bullseye. We're talking compound types of groups here.

Evidently, he's a natural. I'm not. I guess some people are just good at things without trying hard at it. I'm convinced it wasn't luck. Now I'm jealous... and a little peeved that I have to work for it. His form was junk and the bow was all over the place. Maybe I need to try his "non-typical" form from now on. The only good news with this story is that he did hit his forearm once in the last string of arrows and has a bruise because he didn't wear the arm guard!

Any other naturally good shooters out there who don't need to practice with a traditional rig?

Sounds like good "instincts".
But yes, I think there are naturals when it comes to any accuracy sport.
Most amazing example I've seen was a young (late teens) left-handed compound bow hunter take my right handed longbow and put 4 out of 5 in the vitals of a 3D deer at 18 yards.

OP
K

KJH

WKR
It might be instinct. I want him to try it again next weekend to see if the results are similar.

Great topic.
I've never seen anyone who truly had a gift or the innate ability to shoot a stickbow accurately from the first attempt. That would be remarkable to witness. I'd have to question whether there was some type of aiming reference used in order to achieve those tight groups. I would be amazed if he did it completely via 'instinctive' shooting.

I will only say that I practice very little for 9 months of the year. I shoot my bow for a purpose and I don't feel the desire to shoot it recreationally. It comes out a month or so before I hunt and I shoot it hard. I can generally hit a pop can at 20 yards with my first arrow of the year, but my muscles need to be strengthened.

OP
K

KJH

WKR
I've never seen anything like it before last Sunday. I wish I would have taken pictures, but it didn't cross my mind at the time. There must have been an aim point because that why his group moved at 15 yards, but how would he know what the aim point was... luck? Instinct?

I just told someone else about this, and he had a good point. He has a cousin that plays golf once or twice a year with old clubs and used balls from the ditch as part of a family outing. They guy beats everyone, every time out and never practices or plays otherwise. Maybe some people are just more apt to being good. Maybe we can call it instinct?

One thing is for sure... I lack instinct.

One thing is for sure... I lack instinct.

Same here, as applies to shooting. My instincts are to get the animal in tight and then close the deal with an easy shot.

And I'll probably open up a new debate by stating my personal belief that the words 'instinct' and 'instinctive' are somewhat misapplied to my endeavor of shooting a bow without consciously aiming. To my mind I've never shot a truly instinctive arrow...it's all been a matter of repetitive doing and learning over many years. It looks instinctive in action (especially hunting) but it's more related to the QB who practices footwork, body alignment, ball grip, throwing motion and follow-through. When it's game time, the process of shooting (a stickbow) can be so smooth, quick and fluid that it looks like a totally instinctive thing.

LostArra

WKR
Same here, as applies to shooting. My instincts are to get the animal in tight and then close the deal with an easy shot.

And I'll probably open up a new debate by stating my personal belief that the words 'instinct' and 'instinctive' are somewhat misapplied to my endeavor of shooting a bow without consciously aiming. To my mind I've never shot a truly instinctive arrow...it's all been a matter of repetitive doing and learning over many years. It looks instinctive in action (especially hunting) but it's more related to the QB who practices footwork, body alignment, ball grip, throwing motion and follow-through. When it's game time, the process of shooting (a stickbow) can be so smooth, quick and fluid that it looks like a totally instinctive thing.

Whoever originally attached the word "instinctive" to a method of stickbow shooting without a sight probably regrets it :)

He wasn't thinking, just pointing and shooting. Plus a couple beers, and he was relaxed, no pressure.

Most "instinctive" shooters worry too much about doing everything right.

When you pick up a rock to throw, do you think about the proper mechanics?

When you pick up a rock to throw, do you think about the proper mechanics?

No, and most of us likely couldn't hit a bucket with a rock at 20 yards until we had a bit of practice. I guess we'd still be throwing 'instinctively', but the same could be said for any guy who launched an arrow without consciously aiming and hoped to connect. Doing it a thousand times is what typically leads to better coordination and skill development. But is it an instinct at that point? Learned behavior? Acquired skill? Something else?

Beendare

WKR
Yeah, thats crazy judging by the guys I see on the range regularly with a stickbow- terrible. He did have the benefit of shooting matched bow/arrows.

The better my form is...the better my shooting....what a concept!

GPool1842

WKR
Crazy! Would have liked to see it. Some people are just more gifted at certain things... that’s my take.

OP
K

KJH

WKR
I can put this to bed now for my own satisfaction... Round 2 this past weekend... Not nearly as good. He said he just shot where it felt good and wasn't using an aiming point. I do think he remembered his forearm getting hit a couple weeks ago and was more worried each shot about doing that again than hitting the target, although I think he was subconsciously trying harder.

Not bad at 12 yards and 15 yards, but nothing special.
6-7" group at 12yds on the first string. 6" on the second string but threw an arrow off the target completely.
8" at 15yds (two were real bullseyes).
At 20 yards he missed the target 5 times out of 10 arrows. Just plain bad, but what I'd expect from a non-shooter.

The differences this time were: A) no beers, B) a little less nervous about being able to pull the bow back, C) overcast light conditions, D) shot more arrows this time before he got to the 20 yard target, E) scared to hit his forearm, F) had an audience of 4 onlookers. Otherwise all was the same.

I'm leaning towards it being more luck last time he shot than skill or instinct.

JP100

WKR
I think there are some people who are naturally good shots.

My Brother is one.

Rifle shooting he can shoot all day every day and never really misses, he made a national school team with no real practice.

He had never shot a bow before, I was shooting my bow one day he had a few shots for fun(with a compound).
At 50-60 yards he was shooting apple sized groups with wrong draw length/shit set up.
This was after firing 2-3 arrows in his whole life.

Ive never seen him shoot a long bow or recurve, but i would imagine it would be much the same.

Guys I have seen who shoot like that are generally very relaxed people, they dont stress, or think to much. They just do.

I think alot of us over think things and try and force it. Which makes it worse haha.

ShakeDown

WKR
There are definitely individuals that are just naturally gifted. Some people are just plain good. Whether it’s darts, pool, bowling, washers, etc etc.

Be it hand/eye coordination, eye sight/depth perception, fine motor control, whatever. Some people just have it. I have a friend that doesn’t shoot regularly, doesn’t even own a firearm, but can pick up any pistol and within 2-3 shots be ringing steel, to my envy.

Somewhere out there there is the Greg Maddox of archery, he or she might not even have ever touched a bow before. IMO raw talent is just a starting point, though. Would Tiger Woods or Michael Jordan have been the best ever at their respective sports if they never practiced? We simply have different max potential based on our innate abilities. I may get the most out of my meager potential while Joe down the street has an untapped vast potential that he never realizes.

Tradtiger

FNG
Fun thread. Not surprising at all to hear of someone seemingly naturally gifted at archery. Plenty of natural athletes that just never get around to archery. Howard Hill, for instance, probably would have been a professional golfer if he could putt. Already was a multi-sport athlete at Auburn -- not a small-potatoes college.

Mike 338

WKR
Not that much different than golfing. There is not a direct relationship of effort to results for most of us. Then some guy comes along and picks up a club for the first time and it's all fairways and greens. Take voice lessons till your blue in the face and someone opens their mouth and sings like an angel. When it comes to natural ability, we all got what we got. I'm just grateful I get to pursue the things that interest me. Beauty and talent... two thing unequally distributed amongst humans.

tater

WKR
My Dad is one of those annoying guys.

He can grab a 40# recurve and three matched arrows and hit a baseball at twenty yards three for three cold.
He shot a bow a bit as a kid (55 years ago), but was never an archer or bowhunter, but he has always been an excellent wingshooter.

His archery form is phenomenal, and i am sure he is using a split vision reference aiming system.

All i know is i work hard year round to keep my skills, and he just has "the gift". The old fart bugs me...:LOL: