Arrows for a beginner

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
What are an economical, not very expensive arrow for a beginner? Don't want to invest in a dozen gold tips etc. for somehting i may not even totally get into......or will i regret going cheaper and become so frustrated that I will quit too soon due to poor shooting arrows..please advise lol thanks fellas

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Arrows matter but not so much at first. I like Easton axis for the money.

If you don't get addicted to bow hunting, you need to rethink your priorities in life.

Live2hunt custom shelters

WYO_ATL

Lil-Rokslider
just look around various archery websites and you'll be able to find a deal or two on good arrows that are reasonably priced. I picked up a dozen Easton Epics last year for $35 I believe. Big Jim usually has some blemished GoldTips for a good price. Just look around, you'll find some deals. Don't count out buying used as well

LostArra

WKR
just look around various archery websites and you'll be able to find a deal or two on good arrows that are reasonably priced. I picked up a dozen Easton Epics last year for $35 I believe. Big Jim usually has some blemished GoldTips for a good price. Just look around, you'll find some deals. Don't count out buying used as well

Rumor has it that Gold Tip blems are no longer going to be available. I guess QC improved although I could never find a "blem" on those shafts.

R Davis

FNG
My vote goes to easton gamegetters. You can get a dozen fletched from 3rivers archery for not that much money.

OP
Glendon Mullins

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Arrows matter but not so much at first. I like Easton axis for the money.

If you don't get addicted to bow hunting, you need to rethink your priorities in life.

I shoot easton axis out of my compound bow, r u saying that regular carbon arrows will work for traditional and they dont have to be specifically for traditional bows??

nevermind....lol i see they are a line of traditional arrows now lol

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm sorry I didn't pay attention to the fact you were talking about trade gear
I shoot easton axis out of my compound bow, r u saying that regular carbon arrows will work for traditional and they dont have to be specifically for traditional bows??

LostArra

WKR

My compound is my backup bow but it's totally illiterate. It has no idea it's shooting traditional arrows. :)

Whitetoptom

Lil-Rokslider
Arrows that come pre-fletched with good feathers will generally be more expensive than your standard plastic fletch. Cabelas carbon stalker extreme can be had pre-fletched with gateway feathers. They are a little more expensive than your standard cheap arrow. What sets them at a higher price is the straightness factor and spine tolerence, as well as the smooth epoxy finish. I've had good luck with these arrows.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

SKYNET KC

FNG
If you're looking into affordable traditional arrows the Black Eagle Traditional are probably what I would be looking at for a couple of reasons.

1. They're affordable. I know a few distributors that can get them to you for cheaper than they advertise on the website if it's something you want to buy.
2. Black Eagle uses pretty good carbon and their tolerances are all pretty tight.
3. They come pre-fletched with decent feathers, so that's something you don't have to mess with.
4. You can order the brass inserts that are threaded on the back along with the brass weights to add more weight to the front of the arrow if you want. These are all stock components from Black Eagle.

My vote goes to easton gamegetters. You can get a dozen fletched from 3rivers archery for not that much money.
I'm glad someone else already said this. I have been shooting GG for over 20 years and they are a less expensive, but durable, and easily tune-able aluminum arrow. They also come sized like carbon arrows which some prefer although I like the xxyy sizing on other aluminum arrows.

Give 3rivers a call and they will take care of you. Good people.

Larry

Joseph08

Lil-Rokslider
I would suggest GPP28 Fiberglass Archery Target Arrows. These are inexpensive and works absolutely good for beginners.

Gold tip warrior fletched with feathers. Around $7 per arrow on Lancaster archery (can buy individually which is nice too). Great arrows, I killed two deer with them this year and have no complaints. I would recommend carbon over aluminum for durability. I always bent the cheaper aluminum arrows when I was starting out. These arrows will not break easily. Also definitely get feathers not plastic vanes, they will be more forgiving in general. These arrows are a little on the light side, so make sure you use a stiffer spine with heavier points so your total weight is adequate (especially for older wood bows). 3 Rivers has a great spine calculator that will get you in the ballpark. I'm using 340 spine with 250gr points out of my #50 at 28in bow.