Help me buy a bow for a friend

Hi folks,

A buddy of mine has accompanied me on three elk hunts. He's not a hunter but wants to be, but he wants to start with a trad bow as he spent a lot of time shooting one when he was a kid. He was ready to buy one this summer when he hit a snag: he discovered he is left eye dominant but shot right handed growing up. It's September now, he still hasn't bought one, has been eyeing some nice/higher priced bows but hasn't pulled the trigger yet. So, I've decided to offload some risk for him and buy him a decent beginner setup to get him started.

I'm looking at a Samick Sage, left handed to match his eye dominance. Curious what you guys think on draw weight? He's a decent sized guy, like 5'10 180+ pounds, strong. I imagine he'd no doubt buy a 70# compound bow, 29"ish draw length. He was trying some 50# RH bows at Cabela's one time and think he feels comfortable at 50#, but I'm thinking to go LH and as a beginner bow he can economically replace or buy new limbs for maybe 45# is the way to go. Ideally he'd shoot this recreationally this fall and winter and sometime this winter/spring spend a day at that place in Denver shooting everything they have.

My finger is hovering over the BUY NOW button at Amazon...thanks for your help folks.

Btaylor

WKR
I would recommend even lower weight, say 35-40 range and build form first. Also I would not rule out a RH bow if he is predominantly righthanded. Shooting both eyes open with a stickbow is different than a sighted rig. Others may disagree on the eye dominance and that's fine.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'm right handed, left eye dominant, and I can't hit crap shooting left handed. 2 state titles shooting right handed. I shoot both eyes open and have no issues. I'd say 30-35# if he's set on shooting left handed.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
Dos Perros
I don’t think he’s set either way, he’s stuck, and needs a push. He doesn’t want to buy a bow he can’t shoot. I’m willing to gift him a bow to try, and I’m sure he’ll eventually buy a nicer bow.

My brother shot a recurve and longbow right handed and is left eye dominate. Luckly, I didn't have that issue. But I know of some people who have switched back and forth in an effort to cure target panic issues. If he's going to shoot lefty, I'd recommend going even lower than what he should be able to reasonably handle.

You might also check the leatherwall classifieds, archery talk trad classifieds, and several other places to get a good deal on a used one. I've bought several bows from there.

MarlinMark

Lil-Rokslider
He needs to shoot right handed to see if the eye dominance is even an issue. I shoot instinctive and it requires both eyes open. Like throwing a ball. You need both eyes for depth perception. It's not like a compound with sites.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Joseph08

Lil-Rokslider
Hi folks,

A buddy of mine has accompanied me on three elk hunts. He's not a hunter but wants to be, but he wants to start with a trad bow as he spent a lot of time shooting one when he was a kid. He was ready to buy one this summer when he hit a snag: he discovered he is left eye dominant but shot right handed growing up. It's September now, he still hasn't bought one, has been eyeing some nice/higher priced bows but hasn't pulled the trigger yet. So, I've decided to offload some risk for him and buy him a decent beginner setup to get him started.

I'm looking at a Samick Sage, left handed to match his eye dominance. Curious what you guys think on draw weight? He's a decent sized guy, like 5'10 180+ pounds, strong. I imagine he'd no doubt buy a 70# compound bow, 29"ish draw length. He was trying some 50# RH bows at Cabela's one time and think he feels comfortable at 50#, but I'm thinking to go LH and as a beginner bow he can economically replace or buy new limbs for maybe 45# is the way to go. Ideally he'd shoot this recreationally this fall and winter and sometime this winter/spring spend a day at that place in Denver shooting everything they have.

My finger is hovering over the BUY NOW button at Amazon...thanks for your help folks.

I would suggest you this Spider Maximum Power 150LBS Compound Crossbow. One of my friends has recently bought it. He is new to hunting and this crossbow really suits him. Though you can visit online stores for more options.

Beendare

WKR
I'm right handed, left eye dominant, and I can't hit crap shooting left handed. 2 state titles shooting right handed. I shoot both eyes open and have no issues. I'd say 30-35# if he's set on shooting left handed.

interesting sneaky....did you give it some time with your dominant eye?

The reason I ask, I have multiple buddies that switched to lefty- some due to dominant eye and some due to TP...one won the State BH tourney 4 yrs in a row when switching to lefty....so I know it works for some....especially with dominant eye issues.

sneaky

"DADDY"
interesting sneaky....did you give it some time with your dominant eye?

The reason I ask, I have multiple buddies that switched to lefty- some due to dominant eye and some due to TP...one won the State BH tourney 4 yrs in a row when switching to lefty....so I know it works for some....especially with dominant eye issues.
Ain't nobody got time for that lol. I'd be open to giving it a whirl if I had the free time and cash to drop on the appropriate setup for both trad and compound.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk