Valkyrie Broadheads

Has anyone had any elk kills with these?

I know that shot placement is key no matter the head.

I thought I heard on a Gritty podcast Brent said they've heard stories of these pushing through elk shoulders. Did I hear that right?

I went ahead and bought the Center Pin system but went with a 225 Tuffhead and an adapter to save money.

I know any broadhead is useless if it's not put in the right spot. But kinda looking for something that might help if things aren't 100%.

I lost a bull the other day. It was a tad high and a little far back, maybe last ribs. Not a drop of blood to be found but I did find my arrow. It broke just above the Center Pin but had blood all the way to the fletch. Searched and searched and nothing. I know higher hits usually have less of a trail.

Just wondering if these expensive Valkyrie heads would open a bigger channel?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Not that they would open up a bigger hole, but that whole system is meant to be ran as a total of 600 or more grain arrow w an exaggerated FOC w a goal of smashing through everything they come in contact with...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
TradLife406
Not that they would open up a bigger hole, but that whole system is meant to be ran as a total of 600 or more grain arrow w an exaggerated FOC w a goal of smashing through everything they come in contact with...

Yes sir, I'm running 32.5% on a 609 grain arrow @ 63# Not sure I'll make it out again this year elk hunting. My heads showed up and I've been whitetail hunting after work. I'll be interested to see how they do! Though deer aren't the best test subjects for broadheads.

TristanJH

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone had any elk kills with these?

I know that shot placement is key no matter the head.

I thought I heard on a Gritty podcast Brent said they've heard stories of these pushing through elk shoulders. Did I hear that right?

I went ahead and bought the Center Pin system but went with a 225 Tuffhead and an adapter to save money.

I know any broadhead is useless if it's not put in the right spot. But kinda looking for something that might help if things aren't 100%.

I lost a bull the other day. It was a tad high and a little far back, maybe last ribs. Not a drop of blood to be found but I did find my arrow. It broke just above the Center Pin but had blood all the way to the fletch. Searched and searched and nothing. I know higher hits usually have less of a trail.

Just wondering if these expensive Valkyrie heads would open a bigger channel?

I killed my 2018 Bull with the Valkyrie System and I'll happily vouch for their ability to penetrate nearly everything they touch. From a compound, they're like a 50-cal and from a stickbow, they certainly offer a tangible advantage.

On my elk this year I made a shot that exited through the rear quarter making substantial contact with the femur and I still got passthrough.

What's more is the broadhead came out true and so sharp that I put it right back into the quiver and sent it after a buck just a few days later without ever feeling compelled to retouch it.

They're perfect from the standpoint of fit and finish and seriously durable, but perhaps most important; they tune beautifully and fly better than any arrow I've ever seen.

Last edited:

Beendare

WKR
Bigger holes....those VPA 3 blades are nasty.

Great bang for the buck.....quality steel that holds a great edge, CNC machined always perfectly straight, made in USA, easy to sharpen.

I shot a buck with a low exit hole [only 45# bow] and it looked like someone was emptying a milk jug of blood for 40 yds to the buck.

FlyGuy

WKR
I'm Planning to do a write up on this hunt soon, but I just put two of them through a bull moose in Idaho. (225gr heads, 496gr total; 70lb draw) One broadside, one quartering away. Full pass throughs on both shots, never found either arrow. I'm sold on these things for a long, long time.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Yes sir, I'm running 32.5% on a 609 grain arrow @ 63# Not sure I'll make it out again this year elk hunting. My heads showed up and I've been whitetail hunting after work. I'll be interested to see how they do! Though deer aren't the best test subjects for broadheads.

With those numbers I’d try to hit the shoulders of a whitetail, won’t go 10’

sneaky

"DADDY"
South Cox has killed everything he's shot this year with those heads. Heck, he even put one through his own ankle lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

TristanJH

Lil-Rokslider
With those numbers I’d try to hit the shoulders of a whitetail, won’t go 10’

Can confirm. I took a late-season whitetail in December. The shot was right in the pocket and the arrow zipped through like a hot knife through butter. The deer made it about 25 yards before wadding up in the snow but the arrow went about 50.

TristanJH

Lil-Rokslider
Added a few more notches to the quiver this year. One through the shoulder blade and into the heart of a bedded bull. Another (my buddy) pinwheeled a cow at about 30 and had to use a leatherman to get the broadhead out of the tree on the other side. I continue to be impressed with this system.

oldgoat

WKR
IMG_20190915_094445033_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpgIMG_20190917_092710497.jpg

Not an elk, but representative, there's three holes in this roast from the inside of the offside leg on my Shiras Cow, there's three broadhead holes, they are shot from different angles so it's not all apples to apples comparison, but it's from 2 Valkyrie and one Cutthroat, all were 250gr, total arrow weight around 620gr doing about 172fps. I'm absolutely convinced of their lethality and penetration ability!

I’m new to trying the high foc route should I just get their test kit and see what works does anyone have any good starting points with tuning and what to look for and what to avoid I know the Valkyrie product video said something about not going under 270~280 FPS or it sinks like a touch but I shoot a slow bow to begin with

oldgoat

WKR
I’m new to trying the high foc route should I just get their test kit and see what works does anyone have any good starting points with tuning and what to look for and what to avoid I know the Valkyrie product video said something about not going under 270~280 FPS or it sinks like a touch but I shoot a slow bow to begin with
Best I can tell you is up a spine and add weight till it flies good, but if your draw is short or normal you can cut length and add weight till it flies good, the shorter an arrow gets, the higher the foc gets even without upping point weight. Big big word of caution, if you raise your foc a lot and keep using big ass 5" feathers, you aren't going to like the flight in a crosswind!!! When you increase FOC, you are increasing the length of the lever arm the feathers work on and they will show the effect of a cross wind, think small like the 2" razor feathers is you get your foc raised high. Also raising foc by itself has nothing to do with arrow drop, that's strictly a function of total weight and drag. When I first did it, my point on stayed virtually the same even though I added 20grs to my total arrow weight, went to a lighter arrow with more tip weight, I think it was because my arrow recovered quicker and had less drag because I went from 5" feathers to 2.5".