500 plus grain 500 spine carbons

Wrench

WKR
I just had a new tomahawk show up and needed to flick some arrows out of it, but all I had were very light (340 grain) 500 spine arrows.

I figured the spine will get me by with some point tuning, but I want weight....so I stumbled upon something wort a try. I cut a couple of pieces of 3/32" aluminum tig rod and wrapped in 3 places with about 4" electric tape to act as a centering / anti rattle. I ended up adding about 230 grains to my arrow. I have only been able to shoot in the dark, but preliminary results are great.

I think a couple of dabs of silicone to the tape would kill any sign of noise and the extra penetration on my target was unquestionable.

If weed wacker line isn't enough, give this a thunk.

Beendare

WKR
IMO, bad idea.

3 rivers will sell you a couple arrows at a time....and they sell a test kit with multiple sizes of point weight that you can use to bare shaft and dial in your spine for a well tuned setup.

If you just want to add weight to an existing well tuned arrow, 3 rivers sell the arrow tubes in 3 different weights...those are the ticket. If you go with the heavy tubes...best to glue them in or they blow out your components-beentheredonethat when setting up an Australian water buff arrow.

Sounds like a 3 rivers commercial I realize but they have seen everyone struggle with arrow tuning and have some good solutions.

ElkNut1

WKR
When I'm shooting my longbow I use 500 spine wood grain beman classic carbons with a 75 grain brass insert & 125 grain head for a total weight of 500 grains. I shoot 56# at 27" draw. It has blown through a couple of bulls with 3-bladed heads!

ElkNut/Paul

My bow 52@28 is close to what Paul the Elknut is my arrow was Axis 500 29” 75gr brass insert 145gr Zwickey Delta. My arrow weight was 530gr I did try to 100gr steel broadheads adapter bring my set up to almost 600gr. I shoot wood now arrow weight is 535gr.