Strugglestick Addiction, An Article Series By Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I like those take downs! Will check out that Hoyt thx. I have a Martin take down compound wheel bow from the mid 90's. I took a very well known hunter on a crazy jaguar hunting trip into to some Latin American jungle and he gave me his bow when he left. I thought it was very neat because it and its screw together arrows and points all packed up together in a very small soft case. Easy to stash in suitcase to evade customs hassles! I still have it as a memento. I was thinking about sending it back to Martin for a redo just for the heck of it.
Is there a recommended place to buy used recurves? I'd prefer to buy from a traditional shop as will need many others things to get back into it.
Rocky Mountain specialty Gear has a few hundred bows on the wall of all price ranges. They'll be able to help you out.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

hobbes

WKR
Great articles. It's nice to occasionally read something with no product plugs, but about nothing other than archery and hunting. Congrats on your successful transition to traditional.

John Havard

WKR
Classified Approved
Aron,

Good job on the three part article. If I and my family depended on the meat for survival I'd use a rifle. But we don't. I hunt because I like to challenge myself and HUNT. I'd rather take a trophy bull moose every third or fourth year with one of my company's (Dryad's) recurves than every year (which would be easy where we hunt) with a compound or a rifle. Like you said, the hunt begins with a trad bow when every other type of weapon hunt is over. Truth shines through in your words. Thanks for sharing.

Just listened to your podcast series about broadheads. I have a tuning question. I have been looking for a bit more FOC, not a measurement, just a nice heavy point. I was running a 60 grain insert with a 150 grain point, 500 spine Victory 3DHV, 45 lb recurve. great shooting setup. I wanted to add a bit more weight, as my arrows were only coming in at 400 grains. I threaded the back of my inserts, added 50 grains of all thread, then added a 30 grain plug to the back, as I didn't have access to stiffer arrows. Arrows shot great. Just for grins, I added another 50 grains to the front, ending up with 520 grains, 310 on the front, 25% FOC and perfect bare shafts. My question is this - If you add enough point weight, achieving extreme FOC, the head will pull any shaft into line very quickly, even without fletchings. Does this mean that any shaft that will pull into line is now well tuned? It's hard to get my head around a very heavy head pulling basically any shaft into line behind it, especially after spending so much time tuning with a "normal" weight head. I understand that the arrow tail will be more effected by wind the higher the FOC. But what gives on the spine?

bsnedeker

WKR
Just listened to your podcast series about broadheads. I have a tuning question. I have been looking for a bit more FOC, not a measurement, just a nice heavy point. I was running a 60 grain insert with a 150 grain point, 500 spine Victory 3DHV, 45 lb recurve. great shooting setup. I wanted to add a bit more weight, as my arrows were only coming in at 400 grains. I threaded the back of my inserts, added 50 grains of all thread, then added a 30 grain plug to the back, as I didn't have access to stiffer arrows. Arrows shot great. Just for grins, I added another 50 grains to the front, ending up with 520 grains, 310 on the front, 25% FOC and perfect bare shafts. My question is this - If you add enough point weight, achieving extreme FOC, the head will pull any shaft into line very quickly, even without fletchings. Does this mean that any shaft that will pull into line is now well tuned? It's hard to get my head around a very heavy head pulling basically any shaft into line behind it, especially after spending so much time tuning with a "normal" weight head. I understand that the arrow tail will be more effected by wind the higher the FOC. But what gives on the spine?

I'm not expert, but here is my understanding: Extreme FOC will mask a LOT of tuning problems due to the reasons you explained above. That said, I would imagine that if you put a broadhead on the front of those weak-spined arrows you would start to see all kinds of problems. A broadhead is going to steer your arrow if it is off in any direction, so with a weak spine you are going to see a lot of that.

2blade

WKR
If the shaft ends up to weak, putting a broadhead on will tell you because that arrow is going to hit to the right, for a right handed shooter. I have found, I am right handed, that a straight flying bare shaft that hits a couple inches to the left at 20 to 30 yards, so slightly stiff, works well when fletched shooting field tips and broadheads. With that said, a lot of guys like a slightly weak bare shaft, maybe they run 5" feathers so it creates some stiffness to compensate? I use 4" and I also cant the bow.

really cool stuff! I have been shooting a recurve for about a year and a half now, and prior to that had never listened to a podcast, but "the push" got me addicted to them, and eventually I found Kifarucast. I knew of Aron prior, but didn't know much about him until hearing him on the Gritty podcast which lead me to his.

it's been some of the coolest content I have come across, and for me it's so relatable, and I really appreciate his non PC demeanor, and just telling it like it is.

I like the lack of a filter, it's refreshing, and is so much easier to relate with.... I have so far had a very similar path (relatively, of course I don't have the opportunities he does)

I have enjoyed following his progression, and I have taken away a lot from him.

last year I missed 4 bulls with my recurve, from 7-18yds with a bunch more close calls.... action packed frustration, haha. trying to get my poop in a group and 2020 will be redemption year. broke a 15yr streak last year, so I will get to start a new one this year.

about the 3rd week of season I was wishing I didn't sell all of my compound stuff, and go all in, but now i'm glad I did.

last year was a tough pill to swallow, but I have enjoyed hearing i'm not completely alone. it stings that I was shut down because of my weapon choice, but I guess that's why people switch, and we're better because of it.

look forward to hearing more about Aron's hunts and progression... a real person who doesn't edit what really happened to make himself look better, that's rare and I appreciate it.

crazy how addicting traditional archery is, it's consuming, and i like things that are that way.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
really cool stuff! I have been shooting a recurve for about a year and a half now, and prior to that had never listened to a podcast, but "the push" got me addicted to them, and eventually I found Kifarucast. I knew of Aron prior, but didn't know much about him until hearing him on the Gritty podcast which lead me to his.

it's been some of the coolest content I have come across, and for me it's so relatable, and I really appreciate his non PC demeanor, and just telling it like it is.

I like the lack of a filter, it's refreshing, and is so much easier to relate with.... I have so far had a very similar path (relatively, of course I don't have the opportunities he does)

I have enjoyed following his progression, and I have taken away a lot from him.

last year I missed 4 bulls with my recurve, from 7-18yds with a bunch more close calls.... action packed frustration, haha. trying to get my poop in a group and 2020 will be redemption year. broke a 15yr streak last year, so I will get to start a new one this year.

about the 3rd week of season I was wishing I didn't sell all of my compound stuff, and go all in, but now i'm glad I did.

last year was a tough pill to swallow, but I have enjoyed hearing i'm not completely alone. it stings that I was shut down because of my weapon choice, but I guess that's why people switch, and we're better because of it.

look forward to hearing more about Aron's hunts and progression... a real person who doesn't edit what really happened to make himself look better, that's rare and I appreciate it.

crazy how addicting traditional archery is, it's consuming, and i like things that are that way.

Good to know your story.

Aron’s done a lot to get people involved in the trad life. And hunting in general.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to know your story.

Aron’s done a lot to get people involved in the trad life. And hunting in general.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yeah, I have been seeing that. I like folks who promote hunting, and I like he promotes honesty too. social media is full of self editing to make themselves look better, which leads to a lot of unnecessary arguing (ethics for example, and those who preach higher standards than they practice.... that happens non stop on social media)

if more people were unfiltered like Aron is, social media would be an even better resource, and if we all put it out there, I think it would be much harder to divide us as hunters.

I have kind of lived under a rock, a couple hunting forums are my only social media involvement.... this one is a cool place.

it's refreshing seeing the message some are laying out.... still a lot of negativity, but people like Aron who become such a well known person helps a lot

Wheres part need more!! This is the kinda stuff i need to read while im waiting for season