InReach Tips/Tricks

Squirrels

WKR
Various threads about how to do this or that. This might be good to have a single thread for tips/tricks or a Q&A on how to do something.

I will start with a dumb one, when using the Earthmate App on the my phone there are different layer to the MAP. I don't know what each layer is exactly, some are obvious. My question is if you want to download another area adjoining one you already have downloaded how do you know which area to download without guessing. Let me lay that out better. So I have the map open and I am looking at an aerial map of area A I have downloaded, now I want to download the aerial map of area B which happens to adjoin area A. For said example lets say area B is just east of area A. I go to the download section under aerial map and it will give me several areas to download, the number of options on the list varies depending on how far or close I am zoomed. I can't zoom in clost enough to only give me one option. Anyone? I don't really want to download a bunch of maps I don't need and have to go back and guess which ones I can then delete.

muddydogs

WKR
When I am down loading maps and photo's I just make sure my photo layer is on and move the map until I don't have photo coverage anymore then download the photo's I need. I don't worry about extra photo's as I run a 64 gig card in my phone so it doesn't make any difference if I have a gig or two of extra stuff. For some area's I turn on the GMU boundary layer then work from top down and left to right through the GMU downloading all the maps and photo's.
One photo option doesn't cover very much area anyway, thats probably why you can't seem to get just one option. From what I have seem dealing with real photo's and other mapping programs an areal photo covers about 2 ish miles depending on the scale.

OP
Squirrels

Squirrels

WKR
what is the map called that has GMU boundaries? There used to be an additional map you could purchase for the earthmate app called huntmate or something. I didn't see that as an option recently and called garmin. the girl i spoke with said they were planning to do away with it, she didn't realize the option to purchase had alrady been taken down.

FlyGuy

WKR
Muddydogs,

How are you saving the maps to your phone's card? I can't find a setting to allow that? It only let's me save maps to my androids internal memory, which sucks.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

muddydogs

WKR
what is the map called that has GMU boundaries? There used to be an additional map you could purchase for the earthmate app called huntmate or something. I didn't see that as an option recently and called garmin. the girl i spoke with said they were planning to do away with it, she didn't realize the option to purchase had alrady been taken down.

Well hell I just checked my account and sure enough it says "Earthmate Outdoor and Hunt Edition are no longer for sale. As a paying customer, you now have access to your previous subscription for free. The subscription will remain available as long as your account remains in good standing and the Earthmate app exists." I'm calling them tomorrow to see what's up, wonder if it has something to do with Garmin purchasing ONX?

Map name is "Game Managment Units"

muddydogs

WKR
Muddydogs,

How are you saving the maps to your phone's card? I can't find a setting to allow that? It only let's me save maps to my androids internal memory, which sucks.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

On your phone in the earthmate app go to the menu which is the 3 dots on the top right of the screen, pick "settings", pick "Map", pick "map directory" at the bottom of the menu then choose SD card.

OP
Squirrels

Squirrels

WKR
Well hell I just checked my account and sure enough it says "Earthmate Outdoor and Hunt Edition are no longer for sale. As a paying customer, you now have access to your previous subscription for free. The subscription will remain available as long as your account remains in good standing and the Earthmate app exists." I'm calling them tomorrow to see what's up, wonder if it has something to do with Garmin purchasing ONX?

Map name is "Game Managment Units"

I didn’t realize they had bought onx. I asked her if they were going to integrate the gmu boundaries in the standard app. She didn’t say yes but I got impression changes were on the horizon. This could turn out well....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

muddydogs

WKR
I know I heard Garmin purchased Onx somewhere but I haven't been able to find any info on it so I might be wrong?

muddydogs

WKR
I called Garmin this morning, I think I was wrong on the ONX deal. But I was told that Garmin is looking to roll out a bigger and badder InReach as well as web site. Sounds like it's not happening this year but the guy I talked to thinks they could announce something next spring? From what I understand they stopped offering the hunt addition Earthmate app as it will be wrapped up with the new stuff coming out?

I also specifically asked if Garmin will continue to support the older Delorme units and it sounds like they will.

jmez

WKR
My hunting partners and I just got the minis and have been playing with them. If you are going to communicate InReach to Inreach you have to send the message to the Garmin address provided with your account. We were initially sending texts to each other's phones from the mini. When you do this it will come through from a phone number. I assumed this was the number you then used. I put the number in my contacts and then sent several texts off my mini to the number that was coming through on my phone from my buddy. All of them got returned as undelivered. Did some reading and found that it has to go to the address not the number.

vj88

FNG
Is there a way to add a topographical map to the delorme inreach explorer?

204guy

WKR
Only tip I have is don't expect real time communication inreach to inreach. Expect delays of up to a couple hours, between sending and receiving messages and you won't be disappointed.

muddydogs

WKR
Only tip I have is don't expect real time communication inreach to inreach. Expect delays of up to a couple hours, between sending and receiving messages and you won't be disappointed.

Usually there is no delay in sending messages except for the delay set on your device for checking mail which is default set to 10 minutes. A few times I have seen 20 to 60 minute delays This is monitoring 80 units and seeing the delay message on the web site as well as personal experience.

If your experiencing longer delays most of the time I would suspect the unit is having trouble picking up GPS signal which could be due to a heavily obstructed antenna or the unit is having issues. Our 5 year old SE units are starting to have issues with acquiring GPS signals, granted our units are used everyday for 6 to 8 months but its something to keep in mind if your unit isn't sending messages reliably. The unit will hunt for a GPS signal to send coords with your message for a while before just sending the message without coords and seems to receive messages slower when it can't get a GPS fix.

They do take a few minutes to send between inreach to inreach but some of the is due to the 10 minute mail check on each side unless you do a force mail check or set the delay to less minutes.