Inreach mini

KSP277

WKR
To say I’m a little slow with computers is a giant understatement. Just registered and set up my mini. Few minutes ago. I’m trying to download some map layers. From what I’m seeing, it appears on top of every other fee, I’ve got to down load huntview gor another 80$????

If I want property lines is this what I’m going to have to do on the Garmin???

If that’s the case I’m trying to figure out how the heck that’s any better than what I’m getting from onX at a fraction of the cost.

Anybody have any input?

Bughalli

WKR
I just bought one too, but haven't set it up. But yes, why spend more. OnX should meet all your needs. I bought the mini to pair with my phone anyway. But again, I haven't set mine up yet, so I'm chair quarterbacking at this point.

DavePwns

WKR
I pretty much just use the mini Inreach for communication / safety, not navigation. I just use onx on my phone for navigation

JPD350

WKR
I pretty much just use the mini Inreach for communication / safety, not navigation. I just use onx on my phone for navigation

Same thing except I use my GPS instead of the phone for navigation, my phone is only for pictures and pairing with the Inreach mini to communicate.

OP
K

KSP277

WKR
I’ve paired my mini to my phone, don’t have an issue using OnX to navigate, but at around $450 Garmin ought to have mapping system just as good as OnX. Maybe it does I’m just missing the boat.

350 for inreach, 25 to activate, 70 for the month long plan. And from what I see another 80$ for good maps??? That I already have on OnX. Seems excessive

DavePwns

WKR
I just pay the minimum $12 a month year round, I don't even need more texts than that since you get 3 preset messages that you can use as much as you want that don't count towards your monthly limit. If you need more texts that month you just pay like 25 cents per text above your limit

rbljack

WKR
im on the fence with this unit....Ive got one sitting in the cart and and debating pulling the trigger. Ive stalled on buying one twice already...LOL. I did get a dark energy charger for this year, and I have my iPhone with onx maps...and a garmin Fenix 3hr. With the Fenix, I will mark camp and the truck, and that's about it. Save the battery in case I need it in an emergency. But I keep coming back to this mini now that the smaller inreach is available for communications and sos capability.....decisions decisions.

DavePwns

WKR
im on the fence with this unit....Ive got one sitting in the cart and and debating pulling the trigger. Ive stalled on buying one twice already...LOL. I did get a dark energy charger for this year, and I have my iPhone with onx maps...and a garmin Fenix 3hr. With the Fenix, I will mark camp and the truck, and that's about it. Save the battery in case I need it in an emergency. But I keep coming back to this mini now that the smaller inreach is available for communications and sos capability.....decisions decisions.
I think if you ever hunt solo it's a no brainer

muddydogs

WKR
I’ve paired my mini to my phone, don’t have an issue using OnX to navigate, but at around $450 Garmin ought to have mapping system just as good as OnX. Maybe it does I’m just missing the boat.

350 for inreach, 25 to activate, 70 for the month long plan. And from what I see another 80$ for good maps??? That I already have on OnX. Seems excessive

Where are you getting the $80 for maps at? Downloading maps is free in the Earthmate app isn't it? I've never paid for maps and now I see there not charging for the Hunt edition though I'm not sure you can still get it since I already have it.

Why pay $70 for a plan? Are you sending that many texts? I do the $25 plan with 40 texts plus the free preset messages, if I have a high use month I figure I can send 100 extra text messages and pay the $.50 per message before its more cost effective to move up a plan, that's 140 text messages plus free presets in a month. I'm thinking about dropping down to the safety plan to save more on the monthly fee and just pay the $.50 per text when I need to as in the long run I would be money ahead.

OP
K

KSP277

WKR
Wife and 4 kiddos at home, no cell coverage where I’m headed. About 10 days. The plan with unlimited text I didn’t mind at all just so I could tell the kids they can text me all they want.

The Garmin Hunt maps were $80 anywhere I found online. The maps I got on Earthmate are pretty crummy compared to OnX. Topo is a joke. I’m just gonna use OnX for navigation and mini to communicate.

muddydogs

WKR
Wife and 4 kiddos at home, no cell coverage where I’m headed. About 10 days. The plan with unlimited text I didn’t mind at all just so I could tell the kids they can text me all they want.

The Garmin Hunt maps were $80 anywhere I found online. The maps I got on Earthmate are pretty crummy compared to OnX. Topo is a joke. I’m just gonna use OnX for navigation and mini to communicate.

What are the Garmin hunt maps? Got a link.

Not sure how you figure the Earthmate maps are crummy as near as I can tell there the same maps the OnX or Google uses.
What topo map is a joke? There topo maps is as good as any and the Hybrid map is a nice topo overlay over the photo's.

OP
K

KSP277

WKR
What are the Garmin hunt maps? Got a link.

Not sure how you figure the Earthmate maps are crummy as near as I can tell there the same maps the OnX or Google uses.
What topo map is a joke? There topo maps is as good as any and the Hybrid map is a nice topo overlay over the photo's.

Somebody that can post pics pm me your cell number and I’ll send screen shot of what I’m talking about.

rbljack

WKR
Well, it sat in the cart at S and S archery website, and I finally decided to buy the mini. Going to use the Fenix watch to mark the truck and camp, will use the mini for communications primarily, and try to conserve battery life. I also have the dark energy charger to recharge my phone when needed. And will have the phone and ONx as well.