Budget trail cameras

Mossy

WKR
Are there any decent ones out there that are lightweight and simple? Camofire seems to have a bunch every week but I question the low price tags

matthewmt

WKR
Are there any decent ones out there that are lightweight and simple? Camofire seems to have a bunch every week but I question the low price tags
Just hopped on camofire, they have a bunch of 10-12mp stealth came for 34-40$ range. 65% off I believe.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

JohnnyB

WKR
Bought a couple off Camofire for around 40 dollars. The units are reconditioned. I was excited to put them out this year.

Just retrieved my cameras last week before the storms hit and I could no longer access the area. The reconditioned cams were a disappointment. After months in the field, one camera had a dozen images and the other didn’t capture anything. Both of my Bushnells had over three thousand images. The Bushnells were less than a hundred each.

I have no experience with Stealthcam other than those two reconditioned units so new units may be fine.

Rs3003

WKR
Bought wildgame innovation cameras this year. They were a package with camera batteries and sd card. They were $50-$60 after their mail
in rebate. I thought it was a good deal.

Bought wildgame innovation cameras this year. They were a package with camera batteries and sd card. They were $50-$60 after their mail
in rebate. I thought it was a good deal.

I bought some cheapy wildgame innovations and they work good

conhawa

Lil-Rokslider
I have several Stealth Cam P-12s. They are cheap and very easy to operate. I am still using the same ones for the second year in a row....I believe I paid $39 from Academy.

I started running some Moultrie A20i this year and they have great trigger speed, take clear pics, and the battery life is unbelievable.

I have several Stealth Cam P-12s. They are cheap and very easy to operate. I am still using the same ones for the second year in a row....I believe I paid $39 from Academy.

Had some of those and returned them. The trigger was absolutely abysmal. Had them set on a feeder in my backyard, where I could see multiple deer hitting it in the evening and night. Checked the next day and the camera had probably taken 1/20th of what had actually gone to the feeder.

Its not always what a game camera captures, but what it misses....

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
Stealthcam G30's are my go to for cheap. They are around $70 to 80 on amazon. Work super well and take good day and night pics. I have tried just below them in price a bit, but usually end up going back because of the quality of pictures. Unless a deer is moving at a pretty quick pace I will usually have pictures that are not blurry at night.

Skyler

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I didn’t read all the replies, and you didn’t specify what is considered inexpensive, but I’ve had good luck with my stealth cam G 34. About 100 bucks, doesn’t use much battery, great pictures, fast trigger speed, decent night pictures.

OP
M

Mossy

WKR
I didn’t read all the replies, and you didn’t specify what is considered inexpensive, but I’ve had good luck with my stealth cam G 34. About 100 bucks, doesn’t use much battery, great pictures, fast trigger speed, decent night pictures.

$100 or so. Something light with a quick and simple setup I can keep in my pack for a just in case scenario

snakelk

WKR
Stealth Cam G34 will do all that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Stealth "G" series have been solid for me as well. G30, G42, and a few G26's. All of those can be had for well under $100, offer simple set up, long battery life, fast trigger speeds, and decent night pics. So far, after a few years, the G series has been reliable too. The video (with audio) works very well with the G30 and G42, if that's something that interests you.

The Primos Proof 01 Gen 2 are a decent "cheap" camera as well. They sold for $30 after rebate around Christmas last year. All of mine are still working and for $30 I'd say they're tough to beat. Primos usually runs a rebate around this time, so keep an eye out.

RCL

WKR
The Stealth Cam G42 take excellent pictures and fast trigger.
Had a couple out for going on two years with no problems.

Moultrie A30i, easy operation, only about 6 different settings, awesome video (highly recommend) and as states above, the best battery life of any cameras I have run, about 5 different makes and models. one set of batteries lasted from late July until after thanksgiving in northern WI, and they were on Video mode for the since mid-October. I would say a set of batteries gave me 10,000+ pics and 200-300 20 second videos before they petered out.

snakelk

WKR
Moultrie A30i, easy operation, only about 6 different settings, awesome video (highly recommend) and as states above, the best battery life of any cameras I have run, about 5 different makes and models. one set of batteries lasted from late July until after thanksgiving in northern WI, and they were on Video mode for the since mid-October. I would say a set of batteries gave me 10,000+ pics and 200-300 20 second videos before they petered out.

I have a couple of Moultrie A35's and I agree with Timberland about the battery life. Picked those up for under $50 on sale. I've gotten too many false triggers with mine, but that may be my fault due to poor placement. They do take good pictures and have great battery life. Set up isn't difficult, but there's a few more steps that aren't as intuitive as the Stealth G series.

isu22andy

WKR
Ive ran Covert Primos Wildgame Moultrie and Stealth cam, and they are all junk in the end, just pick a brand. Covert has probably been my favorite, least favorite is Wildgame by far!

snakelk

WKR
Ive ran Covert Primos Wildgame Moultrie and Stealth cam, and they are all junk in the end, just pick a brand. Covert has probably been my favorite, least favorite is Wildgame by far!

I agree, there probably isn't much difference in quality among those brands made overseas. I too have ran, and still run many brands. Browning, Moultrie, Primos, Stealth, Bushnell, and Wildgame. I don't pay over $100, and usually in the $30-$70 range. My least favorite has been Wildgame as well. The Browning's lasted about 3 years, being out year around. I have some Stealth's going on 3 years and still working. All but one of my 3 or 4 year old Primos cams have had issues. The newer Primos (Proof) and Moultrie (A series) haven't been out long enough to know how they'll hold up.

If you expect a sub-$100 camera to last forever, then yes, call them junk. It's all relative. If I get 4 good years out of a $60 camera, I'm good with it. Most of my cameras that have failed have been due to water damage (western Oregon), or bear attacks. I've since moved to security boxes for all my cams and I'm hoping for better longevity.

Back to what the OP asked. Some of the deals on Camofire are decent. Like I said, I'd go with the Stealth G series (G34, G30, G42) out of the cameras on Camofire. There are decent deals on eBay also, and if you watch closely you can get some refurbished cameras for even less. I've had good luck with some refurbished Stealth and Browning.