Are Reconyx worth the Money?

Sodbuster

WKR
I have run Reconyx for years and in my stable would rate them number one. Bushnell, Moultrie, and Browning are tied for second depending on the year they were manufactured. Cuddeback sucked.
I only needed Reconyx customer service once and it was great, I have five and have gotten many thousands of pictures.Finally lost one in a flood last year.

Needed Cuddeback service several times and never got anything but attitude out of them.Gave them away.

No. No. No.

I have dozens of cameras that we use for research. $80 bushnells work wonders. We aren’t trying to win photography contests. We are trying to count elk and deer.

If money isn’t an issue, but expensive cameras. It is take 5 $100 cams over 1 $500 cam every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sewall

Lil-Rokslider
I have a friend that runs reconyx cams and during the spring we had ALOT of rain. His cam was setup on a feeder and the water rose up over the feeder and cam. When the water receded he got photos of ducks swimming next to the feeder in the flood waters. Not sure a cheaper cam would survive that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Josh213

FNG
I've wanted to get a Reconyx for years...primarily because of the reliability and that they are made in USA....I just wish they weren't so expensive or at least had a good sale once a year....instead I run all Browning Strike Forces of various years....I have around a dozen that work along with 2 that simply no longer work anymore

Bucky

Lil-Rokslider
I’m that tight guy that can’t afford reconyx. I run the wireless cuddeback link system. I have had great success with cuddyback over the years. Mainly for white tails. I’m sure if I had the money I would do reconyx.

bowtech840

Lil-Rokslider
No way I would spend that much money on something and feel comfortable leaving it out in the woods. Ppl that have them love them but I would rather take my chances with 5 or 6 $80 cameras.

Trial153

WKR
I ran 4 of them on a property I was hunting, it was a 12 hour ride one way. They absolutely were the most reliable cams I used at that point. I had zero issues with them for the three years I had them out, Every other cam i used was been hit or miss. I think if you have a secure property and your looking for reliability they have their place.

Josh213

FNG
Is anyone leaving their trail cams out all year long and if so what brands are you using? This is the first year I am leaving half of my Brownings out in the Adirondack winters. I usually pull them all in late November but I called Browning and they said there shouldn't be any issues other than the batteries dying.

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
I use Reconyx cameras at work.
They are worth it to me because we are putting then in some of the most godforsaken places where they will be inaccessible for seven or eight months due to snow. Even when I was running them in interior Alaska the batteries lasted all winter (with quality lithium batteries). The price is justified for what I do because we spend more than the cost of a camera just getting technicians out on snowmobiles to set one up.

They do have incredible reliability and battery life. I completely believe any anecdote I hear about Reconyx cameras surviving flooding.

The quality of the pictures they take is actually pretty mediocre, in my opinion. You can tell what's going on but if you are one of those guys who treats trail cams as an art form (no judgement! It's a cool hobby!) - there are cheaper and better options available.

It all comes down to how you use your cameras and how often you can check them. If the peace of mind a Reconyx offers saves you gas money and check days, then it's a good investment. If you are just looking for the "best" camera, they might not necessarily be the best for your needs.

PAS

FNG
Reconyx are to game cameras as Swarovski is to optics - nothing comes close!!
I have tested Bushnell, Cuddy, Browning, spypoint... and nothing compares to reliability and design. I have 7 Reconyx cams and purchase more each year once I have some extra money. Customer service is second to none also!