InReach Mini or Bivystick

JC333

FNG
I'm new to this site and happy to have found it. I live in the NE (NJ and PA) and I'm starting to hunt out west and in Canada so I need a satellite comms device. In researching the InReach I leaned that the Mini does sometimes take long to connect and to send/ receive messages. I don't know this to be fact since I don't own one yet but that seems to be talked about. I recently discovered the Bivystick thanks to this site and will consider that as well.
Can anyone offer an opinion on either regarding their experiences with each unit ??
Much appreciated,
JC

I have used the InReach Explorer and Mini. I haven't noticed any delay in one over the other. You can use the app to "push" the device to fetch new messages.

It isn't as instantaneous as texting, but can be pretty close depending on your settings. I'm sold on the Mini, only turn it on for a few minutes at night, but doing so allows me to get a week out of the battery. I don't have a pregnant wife at home or anything though, so your mileage may vary.

I'm also very impressed with the Garmin app and its mapping/gps capabilities for the phone.

Mini is what I have. I like the support of garmin even though it can be delayed a bit.

I also have gotenna mesh which should be good for peer to peer communication if everyone doesn't have an inreach. Didn't have a chance to use it much though.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Bowhuntone

Lil-Rokslider
I used the mini in Montana this year worked good only was slow in the bottom of a deep canyon could take a few minutes to send. Coverage is similar to a gps coverage if its terrible gps coverage then the mini wont work well either. but never had the mini not send though.

darren820

FNG
I used the Garmin mini in Wyoming this year, I thought it worked well. I had it setup to share my track so the wife and kids could see where I was hunting/traveling. The kids thought it was really neat to follow along.