WARNING: Do NOT buy a Verizon 3G cellular trail camera!

Johnboy

WKR
Just a heads-up to anyone considering entering the cellular trail camera market. Any Verizon 3G trail cameras will no longer function after Verizon's 3G network sunset date of 12/31/2019. If you buy one, you'll only get 19 months of use from the cellular function of the camera. So, make sure you purchase a 4G model if you wish to get the most use out of it.

This is the case for ALL Verizon 3G cameras of any brand, but here is a notification I received specifically for my Spartan Verizon 3G GoCam camera (which I purchased only last August):

On December 31, 2019, Verizon plans to retire its CDMA-only network (1x/EVDO, 2G/3G). They will no longer activate new CDMA-only devices after June 30, 2018. They will continue supporting the following account services through July 1, 2019:

• Device ID Change
  • MDN Change
  • Price Plan Change
  • Suspend and Resume
  • Reactivate MDN

If you have Spartan GoCam (connected by Verizon) 3G cameras with an active data plan, you may continue to use them until the end of 2019. Please DO NOT deactivate your cameras if you plan to use them until the end of 2019. You can still make the changes listed in the Verizon statement as long as the cameras are active.

If you have Spartan GoCam (connected by Verizon) 3G cameras which are currently deactivated, you must activate them by June 30, 2018, if you plan to use them until the end of 2019.

Spartan is committed to providing you with the best customer service experience. If you have any questions about this notice, please contact Verizon or Spartan GoCam at 770-582-0004.

Last edited:

dotman

WKR
This will probably be true of all wireless networks over the next few years.

Trial153

WKR
Well that sucks. Thanks for the heads up

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Murdy

WKR
This will probably be true of all wireless networks over the next few years.

Yes, as I understand it, there's quite a bit of network sharing between companies, so if one goes, it will affect others regardless of what the others do. I'm guessing this is particularly true in rural areas.

skindaddy

Lil-Rokslider
anyone that can help with some questions? looking to get a 4g camera and have verizon i am trying to see what this would cost per month from verizon? idk what to ask them as far as what plan or option i would need to use it. all i could find on verizon was that i needed a premium subscription at spartan? but wouldnt i still need something through verizon?
this will be for only one camera for now, and i only have one phone on my plan and its an basic unlimited plan

I have a Covert camera and you buy the plan through the covert website. I have the ATT version and the plans are pretty inexpensive. I pay 14.99/month for 10,000 pictures. And you can add a camera to the plan for $5. So you could have two cameras share 10,000 pictures for 19.95/month. The have several different plans and you can change or cancel each month if you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Johnboy

Johnboy

WKR
anyone that can help with some questions? looking to get a 4g camera and have verizon i am trying to see what this would cost per month from verizon? idk what to ask them as far as what plan or option i would need to use it. all i could find on verizon was that i needed a premium subscription at spartan? but wouldnt i still need something through verizon?
this will be for only one camera for now, and i only have one phone on my plan and its an basic unlimited plan
Mine is $5/month through Verizon. The Spartan subscription is optional; you could just have all photos texted or emailed to you -- but that's a pain. I prefer the mobile app with subscription, which I think is $3/month if you buy a year at a time.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

skindaddy

Lil-Rokslider
thanks johnboy,i will have to research what that mobile app is that makes it easier, im just starting to learn about these style cameras,
when you activated did you just tell verizon you had to add a game camera?
thanks again for patience.

OP
Johnboy

Johnboy

WKR
My cell phone is on a buddy's corporate plan. So he had to call in to have my camera added to the plan. But I work with a friend who has his own Verizon cell plan and also runs a Spartan camera. He was able to add his camera through his Verizon online profile. Said it was very simple to do.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk