Weighted Pack for Working Out Question

Hey All,

I am seeing how you all pack your packs for working out. I have always had trouble with all my weight (bricks, steel, etc.) working its way down to the bottom of the pack. How do you guys keep your weight high in the pack during your working outs?

Thanks,

Adam

If it helps to solve the question I run a Kifaru Fulcrum.

I use tube sand. It’s in a long skinny sack for weighing down rear axles in a pickup bed. It retains its shape really well. Comes in 60lb bags at Home Depot. I haven’t had one leak but I zip tie the top for good measure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rklein

Lil-Rokslider
I use tube sand. It’s in a long skinny sack for weighing down rear axles in a pickup bed. It retains its shape really well. Comes in 60lb bags at Home Depot. I haven’t had one leak but I zip tie the top for good measure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use this as well. I duct taped the end that opens to prevent spilling. The new tube sand has a thin plastic bag inside the white mesh bag. If you want one lighter they are pretty cheap, just dump out some sand and weigh til its where you want it. Reseal and you're good to go.

Ive used bags of feed, bags of quickcrete, kettle bell, sand, water jugs, etc. I wrap them in blankets to keep them from moving around. I like ~ 40lbs of sand and then the rest of the weight(if needed) in water jugs so i can dump them if i need to.

dah605

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a Brute Force Sandbag setup. It comes with 2 tubes that you put playground sand in, one large and one small. Both of those can be placed in the main outer bag which has various handles for exercises. You can customize the weight fairly well. When I put it in my Reckoning, it stays put in a nice vertical line in the center of the pack.

-David

FlyGuy

WKR
I've got a Brute Force Sandbag setup. It comes with 2 tubes that you put playground sand in, one large and one small. Both of those can be placed in the main outer bag which has various handles for exercises. You can customize the weight fairly well. When I put it in my Reckoning, it stays put in a nice vertical line in the center of the pack.

-David
I have this identical set up and it rocks.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

i live at the beach so i just walk out ,fill up an old dog food bag,take it down to the post office and he weighs it for me (all the boys geta kick out of that and just compress into shape,
happy hiking.....

I use a 50lb bag of pea gravel in an old game bag. I find it doesn't slip around as much as my sandbag did. I also use a synthetic sleeping bag to raise it up more to the center of the pack

I use a 40 lb bag of wood pellets. Perfect size and only costs about $5.

this. easy to clean and innocuous if it leaks. Bulky enough you can put your compression straps to use.

I've also used a bunch of 1.25 L bottles of water (used sparkling water bottles from Trader Joe's). This has the advantage of being able to go uphill heavy and empty them out at the top to save your knees. I guess you can do that with sand, too of you have a beach of it to use.

Clarktar

WKR
I use rubber mulch. Sand annoys the shit out of me...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I bought three 60# sand bags- one is now 30, one 45 and one left at 60- the bags they came in are sturdy, I just rolled the tops and wrapped with a little Gorilla tape

both my packs have a meat shelf so the sand bags go between the frame and pack bag, not in the pack

I make “pills” out of play sand, gallon zip locks, contractor bags and duct tape. Lots of duct tape. 20 & 10 pound versions. I can mix and match based on desired weight. They won’t rub through your pack and they cost $20 all in.

Pro tip - I place a few rolled up furniture blankets in the bottom of my pack so my weight pills ride high at the center of my back.

I had been placing a 45 lb plate in my stone glacier meat shelf up until a year ago. My wife bought me the atlas trainer. That thing works great and i figure if need be i can buy the bag for it and have a back up pack

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk