Deadloading/taking it easy before the hunt?

This may not be the case for guys who train year round, but I imagine the typical hunter does some moderate training for a couple months before their hunt, then tries to really step it up as they get close to going. I’m sure many of them start off with strained muscles and haven’t fully recovered.

What have you guys found is the appropriate workout for the last week or two leading up to your hunt. Take it completely easy to the point of just going for a jog, or shorten the length of hikes with less weight in your pack?

I just do what I’ve been doing up until i go hunt, then do more of the same when i get back. Your body gets use to it and will do what you ask it to , your mental toughness will fatigue first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Phaseolus

WKR
Taper off the intensity of your workouts at least one week beofre your hunt. Keep it to moderate levels during that time.

Vids

WKR
Look at a marathon training schedule and see how they taper you down a few weeks before the event. I always do better when I increase calories a little and back the workouts down to about 60-70% of normal for the last two weeks. The last 3-4 days I'll just do a couple short runs of 2 miles or so.

WoodBow

WKR
I go about training as usual all the way up until I leave. The only thing I try to avoid is super heavy lifting the last 3 days. I don't want to have sore legs going up the mountain.

kcm2

WKR
I work out 50 plus weeks a year. Don't change a thing before the hunt.

OXN939

WKR
Taper off the intensity of your workouts at least one week beofre your hunt. Keep it to moderate levels during that time.

This. I generally work out between 6 and 8x a week, and usually taper that down to 3-5 of more moderate/ low intensity as a hunt approaches. Also stop any other extracurricular activities that could increase the chance of tweaking something or otherwise incur an injury

When I’m coaching kids and leading them up to an event. I think they perform best when we ramp it up all the way to the event. In wrestling we usually run practice every day, and even have them come in the day before, mostly because we have to monitor their weight. I know this doesn’t make sense scientifically, but I think it keeps their head in the game, and gets them mentally ready. With that being said, I don’t think adults can physically handle that approach. I switch to swimming for the last week before I go. It gives my joints a rest, but it’s mentally challenging for me because I’m not good at it, so it keeps my head in the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amassi

WKR
I keep training, but I'm in the year round camp.
My pack weights gradually increase until I reach 150% my hunting weight
My training wave over the next 12 weeks focuses on mobility(more yoga) and trying to increase vo2 max.
During said wave, the Olympic lifts go down to 50-65% 1rm. The slow lifts- squat, deadlift, press and benchpress
I'll finish the next 4 weeks of wendler then also decrease to more of a maintenance phase.
Mechanical injuries are avoided at all cost, while improving on flexibility and addressing any nagging aches/pains through chiropractor, pt, chryotherapy
Normally: I'll step off this fall feeling my best all year

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk