What's your training weight material?

I whip up “pills” in 10 and 20 pound denominations using play sand ($6 a bag) ziplocks, trash bags, duct tape and some more duct tape. I have 80# worth for less than $20 and I can mix and match to a desired weight.

I like the wood pellets, too. I wouldn't want a bag of sand or salt leaking into my pack and having to clean that out. I like the OP idea of sunflower seeds though. If they leak, you can leave your bag on the back porch and know that some furry critter will stop by and clean it out for you...

In past years I've used dumbbells wrapped in old coveralls, and water jugs of various sizes.

This year I'm comparing several different packs and trying to decide amongst them. I wanted a consistent, uniform, weight so I picked up several 40-pound bags of wood pellets. Works pretty well and I'm not worried about a bag springing a leak or anything.

Coarse water softener salt, 50lbs bag for 3.99.
That is what I use mostly as well. I have one pack with a bag in it, then a ski bag with 2 in it that I use for a fireman's carry.

I also have a 30lb pack that I use. It has 2 15lb ar500 targets in it.

Last edited:

K_pem

WKR
Went to the local gravel supply and picked up some bags of sand that are, i think, 1 cubic foot bags. They weigh about 40lbs a piece and are heavy duty plastic bags with zip tie twist tops. 3 bags for $12, i can easily swap my added pack weight from 40-120lbs (plus pack weight and gear). I figure then i can adjust for the type of training im doing (walk the dogs around the neighborhood=120lbs, mow lawn=80lbs, scouting or longer hike=40lbs)

So far so good. I might wrap them in some garbage bags and duct tape them up if i get ambitious lol.

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider
5 gal jug of water. I feel like there is some benefit to the small amount of sloshing that happens with regards to my core stability.

KayLee

FNG
I use "The MULE" at ONUS Training. It's leak-proof, made to go in your hunting pack, easy to adjust the weight as needed, and isn't hard on your pack. I was sick of getting creative with odd objects to get the weight I wanted. They have a max of 100lb bag and a smaller max of 50lbs.

I work a lot out of town and just got my pack.

I am planning on getting something to do step ups in the room with the pack weighted.

I was thinking of using medicine balls or these 3L Ozarka bottles that I always have a handful of in the room.

Any other ideas? I don't want to mess with a bag of sand or salt in the hotel room.

Bl704

WKR
I work a lot out of town and just got my pack.

I am planning on getting something to do step ups in the room with the pack weighted.

I was thinking of using medicine balls or these 3L Ozarka bottles that I always have a handful of in the room.

Any other ideas? I don't want to mess with a bag of sand or salt in the hotel room.
If youre at a hotel has dumbbells or weight plates, and stairs...

I use a 50# bag of concrete mix that i've duct taped to keep things clean. It's future proof too because I can always add water to make it heavier :D

JakeC

FNG
I use play sand. I have a 50 lb bag and another that I broke up into 1 gallon ziplock bags with 10 lb in them. Should work nicely.

zacattack

WKR
I started using rubber mulch after reading this thread and so far seems like a winner to me. It’s bulkier than sand/salt so it fills up your pack more and if a bag busts you have a pack full of rubber mulch that’s easy to just dump out. A bag of it is only like $5 or 6, so only a little more than sand too.

I use sand in gallon ziplock bags then cover with duct tape to prevent leakage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brent111368

Lil-Rokslider
I am with the sand people. 50# bag of sand wrapped in duct tape. One thing I have learned, walking around the neighborhood, sidewalks and such, helps, but the real worthwhile training is on natural terrain,

Ratbeetle

WKR
I've just been using my bumper plates wrapped in a fleece jacket. Easy to go from a 25lb plate for light days to a couple 45lb plates or any combination in between.

I like the idea of rubber mulch though. Probably easier on my pack frame than the plates are.

Clarktar

WKR
I also use plates, slam ball and kettle bells.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Rhino8541

WKR
I use the cheap sand from Home Depot in my crossfit style sandbag. I'm looking around for rubber mulch to replace it since a tiny amount of sand works its way out as the bag gets thrown around.