2018 Best Whitetail Photo Contest, sponsored by SITKA Gear

FURMAN

WKR
Arizona Coues deer

We got started the first day of seven by heading to glass some easy to get to spots but the fog had set in up high. We decided to go ahead and head in deep on an old overgrown forest road. We took the quad in around ten miles and hiked to the highest nearby peak. We glassed a few hours turning up a few does and four smaller bucks. The wind was howling and had the deer hunkered down. We decided to go a little deeper to see what we could turn up. After taking the quad in another couple miles we hiked about a half mile to a good vantage point. After glassing a few more hours with little deer spotted we moved up another half mile. We found some does almost immediately. Just before 4 o'clock we spotted a very nice buck and his drop tine was visible in the 10x42 Swarovskis. We tried to keep the excitement down. He was at 630 yards. There was a little fold that would allow us to get to around 400 yards so we dropped back and made our way around and up to the closer position. He was now at 377 yards but feeding behind a large rock pile and dead trees. I struggled to get the rifle set up in the tall grass such that I would have an unobstructed shot. It took 5-10 minutes to get a good solid shooting position but we figured it out. Now the wait. It was almost as if the buck knew we were there. He stayed out of the way of a clear shot as he fed behind the cover. Light was fading fast. He started to move to the left as if he might clear the trees only to return to where he had been. We were now convinced he was just going to bed in the tree for the evening. Then he started to work around to the right side of the tree as the sun sunk even lower. He finally fed in between the dead tree and the large rock. After waiting around an hour I needed just a few more inches. I got back on the gun, into position, rechecked my scope for 377 yards, and was ready. Finally he stepped into a very small opening and the trigger broke. He immediately fell but was soon back on his feet. That didn't last long as he fell kicking with his last breath. No high fives yet. We gave him about 10 minutes, ready for a followup shot. With no movement spotted we slowly and carefully approached. Walking up to this awesome animal will never be forgotten, as is the case every time I am lucky enough to do so. Now the high fives. After a 30 minute picture taking fest we got him broken down and into the packs to start what would be a three hour trip back to the truck. This was a short but sweet hunt and I can not wait to do it again.
snbzSwhl.jpg

Last edited:
5b50bfe272fa4f0fe096dce6d8f515f4.jpg

My wife’s first ever deer. Taken 11/9 here in the Texas Hill Country. This guy walked out 35 yards from where we were sitting. At first she couldn’t find him in the scope, until we figured out that she had that 6-24x50 dialed all the way in. Once we backed the scope out to where she could actually see him, she asked if she should shoot him. I no sooner got the words “take him” out of my mouth before she let that 7mm ring. She made a perfect shot and he didn’t go 10 yards before expiring. Couldn’t be more proud!

Worst part is, now she is hooked, and my hunting hobby just became twice as expensive! I’ll need all the help I can get with new gear and camo! Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Took this nice Michigan buck just before the firearm opener with my triax from a new tribe tree saddle. Swear they stare right through the optifade subalpine.
1984b6e6ad678723866a2fa5b4935772.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thread is locked. Staff will submit their picks to me, then I'll start a poll where members can pick the finalists. I'll post here when that poll is up, so be sure and subscribe to this thread at "Thread Tools" lead post so you get a notification.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
OK, the members have voted, it's time to post the winners.

Thanks again everyone

attachment.php

First place for the Sitka New Early Season Whitetail (ESW) Shirt, the New ESW Pant, the New ESW Hat, and ESW Glove

TravisIN

8cea83fe448b5f70a35959d4dca51854.jpg

Second Place for the Sitka New Celsius Midi Jacket

Willfrye027 (I fell for this one too! There is so much going on there)

df5cc650495178d5e76dd7d867b24523.jpg

Third Place for New Early Season Whitetail Hat

Dexter Grayson

03b309c21d62332d5b470298023cc5a8.jpg

Winners, please follow the instructions in the post below to claim your prizes

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Last edited: