There is a monster around here help me get him! (early scrapes?)

OP
N

norman1wv

FNG
I haven't been back to the "rubs" or the knoll since my original post. I haven't seen the 8 pointer lately either. Im going to pull up a topo map and see where the hollow tops out at and find a way in to this area from the head of this valley. This is where I think my best bet would be as he gets off his bed. I don't think he beds in the abandoned cornfields, but rather higher up on the mountain in the midst of some maple and pine groves. This area reminds me of some pics I seen of northern California. Its a very very secluded area of an old growth forest. It has never had hunting pressure for I know the last 40 years. Its a real gem with a real gem of an animal, my gut tells me so. I will limit my presence to maybe the outskirts for a while. At this point I would just be happy to see it. Maybe one day I will have a nice picture to share of this mystery animal.

MtnOyster

WKR
This was my main point. All the bucks that I see are still in velvet, but Im seeing many fresh rubs on trees. Could there be a mutant deer that is already making the rubs. Something is and Id love to lay eyes on it. Whatever it may be.

hard to believe you have a deer rubbing trees 2 weeks ago, maybe you have something else doing what looks like tree rubs from deer, maybe black bear I dunno im just throwing it out there.

With 10 days left to go for our opener here all the deer im seeing and the hunters I talk to aren't seeing nothing out of velvet yet.

OP
N

norman1wv

FNG
Yes its hard to believe. I haven't seen anything the past week. No does, nothing. The 8 pointer that I had down to a schedule has totally abandoned his normal routes and times to something other than what I can observe. There is something fishy going on for sure. I don't know what could be making rubs like what I found. I was hoping to see something but never have. A mystery for sure. My question still stands. What would make rubs besides a mutant deer?.... trailcam would show it if I had one. At this point im lucky to pay my electric bill much less invest in a camera, yea it sucks.
At this point, it could be a bear, elk, muskrats, or even someone up there with a hatchet playing around, but from my experience it looks identical to what a whitetail would do. I have been looking at rubs for over 30 years, never have I saw any this early in the year, nor as many in one spot.

Sodbuster

WKR
MtnOyster
hard to believe you have a deer rubbing trees 2 weeks ago, maybe you have something else doing what looks like tree rubs from deer, maybe black bear I dunno im just throwing it out there.

With 10 days left to go for our opener here all the deer im seeing and the hunters I talk to aren't seeing nothing out of velvet yet.

Agreed, Sept 15 is the Missouri opener and I have never seen a buck in velvet after season started, BUT a friend of mine hit one with his pickup two weeks ago and he was hard horned and velvetless.

Do you have wild hogs in your area? They will also tear up trees just like a deer rub but they will rub down closer to the ground. Idk good luck though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MtnOyster

WKR
Rubs shouldn't surprise anyone right now but this thread started 8/01/18...…………...first of August?????as hot as it's been this year until now???

OP
N

norman1wv

FNG
Could be hogs. We have pretty much everything around here. I have a good "topo" map of the area.. New thread started see: "Help with this topo"