What do you use for a Bino Harness?

OP
T

Tater86

Lil-Rokslider
I had a few agc harnesses but just never liked the feeling of having all of that on my chest so switched to the Rick Young harness.

3366b16640ce894853aa5c58b60a8143.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

How do you like this harness? Do you experience any bounce like you do with the elastic cheap types? Also, how does the button on the back ride with a pack on? Does it dig in?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
The main thing I love about the marsupial pouch is you can leave the flap folded down so your binoculars basically sit in the tray. I only get to whitetail hunt a few days a year so I need a multi purpose gear. I do the same with the rangefinder easy in and out with minimal movent. I've not found the open sides to be a real issue fully enclosed is better but has its own trade offs. I haven't tried the new Sitka harness and the only people I know that have it get Sitka at a substantial discount. I personally hated the Rick young but to each thier own. It's cheap enough to try though if you think it'll work.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

How do you like this harness? Do you experience any bounce like you do with the elastic cheap types? Also, how does the button on the back ride with a pack on? Does it dig in?

i don't get much bounce but i'm running lightweight 8x32s and just hiking through the woods. most of the time i'm perched in a tree so it's not a concern. if you took off sprinting with a pair of 12's on there you might get smacked in the face. you can loop the cord around the objective lenses and cinch them to your chest and they're rock solid. can't say i really notice the button on the back. it's pretty unobtrusive. i've cut about 1' of the tag end of the cord and may take more off soon.

I run the AGC Kiss and 95% of my bow hunting is from a stand for whitetails and I really like it. My 10x42 mavens are a touch snug but easy to get in and out quietly. I have tried my brothers marsupial gear and really liked it as well until the lid slipped on me a few times

Sent from my SM-G930R6 using Tapatalk

OP
T

Tater86

Lil-Rokslider
I run the AGC Kiss and 95% of my bow hunting is from a stand for whitetails and I really like it. My 10x42 mavens are a touch snug but easy to get in and out quietly. I have tried my brothers marsupial gear and really liked it as well until the lid slipped on me a few times

Sent from my SM-G930R6 using Tapatalk

What do you mean the lid slipped? Like it slipped out of your hands and the magnets slapped loudly?

jspradley

WKR
If all I am is hunting whitetails I use a simple Strap type Harness, the Sitka one ..the Rick Young Harness is great too. Your basically walking to your tree stand. What more do you need.
If I was spot and stalk hunting I would take one of my full Harness.

Those work just fine, but I personally don't like stuff bouncing around or dangling from straps.

mireland62887

Lil-Rokslider
I've used the Sitka and Kuiu harnesses. I liked the Kuiu, but now I'm using the Badlands harness that includes a pouch for a rangefinder. I love this harness. I love that my rangefinder is in an easy to open pouch with a bungee lanyard attached. It also has pockets on either side plus another small slot inside for diaphragm calls inside the main bino pouch. It also has a zippered pocket on the back which my tags are in, and an unzippered slot in the back that's perfect for easy access to my phone, which I use for my GPS. On the side pockets I have a windchecker, lens pen, more diaphragm calls, and a havalon.

OP
T

Tater86

Lil-Rokslider
Those work just fine, but I personally don't like stuff bouncing around or dangling from straps.

Yeah, that is why I am looking at getting one of the nicer harnesses. I like to have my gear fitted to me, which costs me more money, but I feel as though I will get my money's worth out of it as it should last a long time as long as I take care of it.

LostArra

WKR
The Rick Young has no dangling straps. If you are wearing minimal layers and there is excessive cord in the back a simple overhand knot cinches it up.

As ezmorningrebel mentioned, if you wrap each objective once there is absolutely zero bounce.

The Rick Young is just a good alternative for those who don't want or need a chest pack.

Brewski

Lil-Rokslider
I have been testing out the rick young harness and it works fine without a pack but the back adjustment plastic piece digs into your spine if you have a pack on. I'm now looking to get rid of the back plastic piece and convert it to fixed length to fix the problem.

WJS23

WKR
AGC cub max for me, it holds everything I need for early season tags, knife, range finder, releases, wind checker headlamp. My wife has been using the Sitka gear one for two seasons and she likes that one as well.

I piked up a AGC cub this spring and loved it for turkey season. Previously, I had an elastic harness that would let my 10x42s bounce all over the place and drag in the wet grass/dirt while belly crawling. I love not having to take the lens covers off/on each time I use them. I've had no issues with the flap opening back, but have nothing to compare that to. Looking forward to using for bear and deer this fall.

WhiteOak

Lil-Rokslider
In the oak woods and bean fields I used to hunt in NJ I have gotten busted by more deer trying to look through binos that I could already see just being greedy and wanting a better look, than binos have ever helped me out there. I never found a deer with them just wanted a better look and paid for it almost every time. Visibility in the woods was usually less than 75 yards and over the Beanfield maybe 2 or 300 yards. Either way i left the binos home after those whitetail pegged me as soon as I moved even from some moderate distances(over 100 yards)

I am giving the Marsupial a try. One of the earlier posts was correct. There is a lot to read regarding choosing a bino harness. Lots of options and each one seems to have its advantage(s) over the next. Also have the RF pouch.

Finch

WKR
Another Rick Young fan here but I've never tried a chest pouch either. I hate to admit it but a bino pouch still wouldn't carry everything I need while hunting whitetails. :(