Louisiana Hunting

LBYMT

FNG
I just recently relocated to southern Louisiana and am planning to hunt deer this year locally in state. Well behind the curve, I know, for scouting out areas. I’ve read the regulations. Looked into different WMAs and federal land. It’d have to be a public land hunt because I don’t know anybody locally for private land deal. Anyone locally from LA that can give me some advice on the eve of the season to help get me pointed in the right direction. I’m used to hunting MT/AK. Plan to hunt archery season down here when it opens in a month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haneydew

FNG
I live and grew up in Southeast Texas and hunted Louisiana wma years ago. Sabine island. In early season the acorns are just hitting the ground and will probably be plentiful, but the deer prefer certain types and even certain trees in those types. Scout for fresh sign where there are acorns on the ground and get in a tree and wait.. all day is best. Louisiana is very thick brushed river bottoms for the most part and the deer will bed close to feeding areas and may feed any time of the day. Scouting is key. Look for fresh rubs, and the deer rut early in the southern part of the state. They will be opening up srapes as soon as they lose their velvet.. about right now. If you find an area with acorns, fresh rubs, and a scrape nearby, HUNT IT! Depending on the wma, anything outside of the ears is going to be considered a trophy on public land.

OP
L

LBYMT

FNG
Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate the insight and will look more into that southern area. I haven’t looked in them much considering I always here about central/ northern Louisiana being the best producers of bucks.

Haneydew

FNG
If you are looking for a trophy the Eastern wma's are the best. But the same tactics apply. Find the acorns. One little secret is if you can find a persimon tree dropping, that is like a candy shop to a child!

Btaylor

WKR
Some Lacrosse alpha burly snake boots might not be a bad investment. For sure will want some knee boots and I am guessing you wouldnt recognize the smell of a cottonmouth before you stepped on it. Your thermacell will get plenty of use. Advice above about learning the different oaks is spot on as is the watching for persimmons.

Haneydew

FNG
I assume you're up on the seasons as well. Louisiana has an early primitive weapons season, with very relaxed rules for weapons. I bought a single shot 45-70 just for this. The recommendation on the boot and thermocell are must have items as well. And yes you can't be afraid of snakes and hunt Louisiana. Although the areas with a high number of wild hogs seems to lack many snakes. They are a favorite snack for wild hogs. If you are archery hunting get a good lightweight hang-on, climber, or one of my favorites, a tree- saddle type sling stand.

OP
L

LBYMT

FNG
I’ve definitely done my research on the different seasons. I hunt primarily archery so I plan to stick to that season first and see what happens. As far as snakes you’re spot on. I wouldn’t recognize the smell of cottonmouth. I really appreciate the advice and knowledge y’all. It’s definitely been a help in pointing me in the right direction.

pchrisla

Lil-Rokslider
Depending where you are at in LA, I hunt in Cleveland, TX and might not be far from you. Can guarantee hogs and hopefully a deer will show itself to you. We also back up to a WMA so can use my place to access the WMA areas away from roads.

Studd muffin

Lil-Rokslider
Which side of the state are you on? Like someone said, the larger deer are towards the eastern side. However, the rut is typically substantially later on the east side, late December-mid January time frame. Several of the WMA's are archery only. Do some googling, figure out which WMA is in your range and do some e-scouting. Just like everything else, the more you are out there the more you will learn.