Iowa outfitter advice?

JasonWi

WKR
I'm hoping for some advice on a respectable outfitter in Iowa without spending a crazy amount of money (less than 6k). I felt I'd be better off to ask here and start to narrow my research down.

I currently have four points and I'm looking to archery hunt in 2020. I don't have a specific part/zone of the state I'm wanting to hunt and since I've never shot a WT buck will be beyond excited at the opportunity to hunt them.

This is a tougher question for various reasons but what specific dates should I try to book and which to avoid?

Any information/advice your willing to share would be greatly appreciated!

Tks
Jason

bwlacy

WKR
Well for dates I guess it really depends on what you are looking for. Do you want a rut hunt? When the bucks are cruising, chasing, etc.. you get to see more bucks, but sometimes it's much harder to kill them. Just before that time frame you can rattle and grunt them in more, but you'll see less of them usually.

Last week of October first week of November they are usually not locked down and more callable. From then through Thanksgiving they are busy chasing and breeding. I've hunted Iowa from the beginning of November through Thanksgiving and it can all be good. Be prepared for some bone chilling cold. Not always but you could get it.

bowtech840

Lil-Rokslider
From my personal experiences if I had to narrow it down to the best 5 days no matter temps, moon phase ect I would choose November 5th-9th. I've never had any luck with the magical Halloween hunt. I have killed on the first of November but in my area the action doesn't typically ramp up until a few days into November. Another great time to kill a big mature buck is between thanksgiving and first gun season. It's often overlooked but the big guys are out roaming for the last remaining does and it's a great time to be in the stand. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scottyboy

WKR
Don’t waste all those points on anything other than a rut hunt. I have spoken with a few outfitters and some are already booking 2019 and 2020. Might want to narrow down your zone and start calling outfitters in said zone to see what options they have for you. Some will start running hunters in mid October and some will wait just until the rut (end of oct-nov)

OP
JasonWi

JasonWi

WKR
Thank you for all the reply's. It's looking like 2021 will be the year our schedules align. I've started looking at outfitters and will get one booked before to long to ensure the best hunt dates.

I'm hoping for some advice on a respectable outfitter in Iowa without spending a crazy amount of money (less than 6k). I felt I'd be better off to ask here and start to narrow my research down.

I currently have four points and I'm looking to archery hunt in 2020. I don't have a specific part/zone of the state I'm wanting to hunt and since I've never shot a WT buck will be beyond excited at the opportunity to hunt them.

This is a tougher question for various reasons but what specific dates should I try to book and which to avoid?

Any information/advice your willing to share would be greatly appreciated!

Tks
Jason

Jason did you ever get any good leads on outfitters to hunt with? I have been accumulating preference points for years with the intent of hunting Iowa Zone 5 with my dad (I buy points for him too). We hunt Kansas every year and live in TX.

Wiscohunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have hunted Iowa as an out of state 1 week hunt many times in the south central part of the state. I have hunted last week of October, plus first and second weeks of November and the first gun season. I've had good luck all three weeks, but November 5th though the 12th to be the best for seeing big bucks. Good luck if you go.

Maverick1

WKR
It sounds as though you have decided on hunting with an outfitter, so you may have to pick from their available dates, depending on the duration of the hunt and their timeframes. In general, the dates of 11/3-11/13 are usually really good. Iowa has plenty of deer. Good luck!

I have heard a lot of good things about Thunder Ridge Outfitters. It is based in zone 4, but has ground in both 4 and 5. I'm from NW Iowa, but have hunted down that way a few times and there are plenty of booners running around. The deer numbers down south are ridiculous. Any where you pick ought to have good bucks. However, do a little research on the location of the outfitter before picking one. There are a couple pockets of cattle country in Southern Iowa that deer numbers are noticeably lower than surrounding areas. Still good bucks around, but if you're wanting to hunt the rut, Id stray away to up your odds. I hunted in one of those pockets around the Truro area last year and it was quite difficult to say the least, but got it done on the last day. Good Luck!